Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Best Buy Offering $50 Off iPad Air Models, $30 Off Prior Generation iPad Mini Models

Best Buy is offering $50 off all iPad Air models for Friday and Saturday this weekend, with $30 discounts on first-generation iPad mini models as well (via CNET).

The U.S. retailer is also offering additional discounts on iPhones, as well as trade-in bonuses for older electronics:
Quote:
Best Buy customers can score at least a $10 gift card by trading in virtually any electronic device, including digital cameras, digital camcorders, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, gaming consoles, and MP3 players. Certain tablets, phones, and gaming systems can qualify for at least a $75 gift card. The device does have to power up and be free of water damage and any cracks in the screen. This latest trade-in deal runs through February 1.
Best Buy will also be offering $50 off the 16GB iPhone 5s and 5c, plus $100 off the 32GB iPhone 5c through February 2.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering $50 Off iPad Air Models, $30 Off Prior Generation iPad Mini Models
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Rozaay
macrumors newbie

Is this deal available in Canada as well or Only the States?
Rozaay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
sixrom
macrumors 6502a

I knew I'd pay a high price for buying the original iPad mini with its sad low res display. That's been validated by recent resale values much lower than Apple products normally resell for.

However I willing did so as I knew it would be some time before they included retina which also turned out to be true. In the meantime I got to compare it to my stellar 2nd gen Nexus 7, my favorite tablet in that general size class.

I am surprised they're discounting the Air so soon, yet this is Apple 2.0 where it's becoming harder and harder for them to demand the Apple Tax (premium pricing) they held onto for years.

Thanks to good competition the Apple advantage is slipping away. We as Apple buyers win big.
sixrom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixrom View Post
I knew I'd pay a high price for buying the original iPad mini with its sad low res display. That's been validated by recent resale values much lower than Apple products normally resell for.

However I willing did so as I knew it would be some time before they included retina which also turned out to be true. In the meantime I got to compare it to my stellar 2nd gen Nexus 7, my favorite tablet in that general size class.

I am surprised they're discounting the Air so soon, yet this is Apple 2.0 where it's becoming harder and harder for them to demand the Apple Tax (premium pricing) they held onto for years.

Thanks to good competition the Apple advantage is slipping away. We as Apple buyers win big.
Looks like I can sell my iPad 4th gen now. I've been waiting for a discount, since that helps with the outrageous sales tax we pay.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixrom View Post

Best Buy ≠ Apple
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:58 PM   #6
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozaay View Post
Is this deal available in Canada as well or Only the States?
Last Thursday, Jan 16, Canadian Best Buy had the Airs on for a one day flash sale, at $50 off for the high end models. There's no Best Buy where I live, so I got a 128GB LTE grey Ipad Air for a $55 off price match at Future Shop.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:12 PM   #7
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

This isn't as good of a deal as Best Buy had the Week of Thanksgiving (not just Black Friday, but the Sunday - Saturday week).

I got my iPad Air for $70 off then, not just $50 off....and it was only out for three weeks at the time!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:05 PM   #8
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Best Buy ≠ Apple
Exactly. This is a "loss leader" for Best Buy.

They are taking a loss on a popular product in order to bring people to their store hoping they will buy other products.
OriginalMacRat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
Exactly. This is a "loss leader" for Best Buy.

They are taking a loss on a popular product in order to bring people to their store hoping they will buy other products.
Yup. I wonder what margins they make on the regularly priced iPads.
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattytail View Post
Yup. I wonder what margins they make on the regularly priced iPads.
I'd venture a guess of $4 to $8 per iPad 16gb?
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:05 PM   #11
kallyq
macrumors regular

Do they typically price match? I just bought mine
kallyq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:14 PM   #12
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyq View Post
Do they typically price match? I just bought mine
The majority of their sales aren't retroactive. I think the exception may be if you purchased from Best Buy. I say "may" because that's not always the case.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:15 PM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I didn't realize the iPad 2 was still being sold... it seems crazy. No Lightning. No Siri. No Retina. And yet it's still being sold for $399 - the same price as the iPad Mini with Retina which has all of those features, plus more. I'm confused why anybody would buy the iPad 2 at that price point (unless their two most important things are low price and larger size... which would seem quite odd, to me.)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:50 PM   #14
metzy25
macrumors 6502a

I got this deal today for being an elite member at best buy! Picked up a space gray ipad air
metzy25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:32 AM   #15
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzy25 View Post
I got this deal today for being an elite member at best buy! Picked up a space gray ipad air
To me, there are only two colors…black or white. That's the color I see when I look at it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 02:49 PM   #16
MrClam
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I'd venture a guess of $4 to $8 per iPad 16gb?
And the rest!

How do u think they'd stay in business only taking that much per item?

My guess would be more closer to 20 to 30% of the RRP.
MrClam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:32 PM   #17
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Mom's iPad Air

On Tuesday, I got my mother to upgrade her dying Vista laptop (click of death comes and goes) to an iPad Air this week. We stopped at BestBuy to just look at the models before doing the 35 minute drive to the Apple store, I wanted Apple's 2 week return policy and I wanted mom to have time to think about the different iPads (or MacBook). BUT BestBuy said you had 15-days to return, no question, no restocking fee so we got it there.

Sent her back up to the store today and she got her $53 dollars back.

She was a happy iPad owner and now she's a super happy owner now!

Gary
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:53 AM   #18
kallyq
macrumors regular

I called in and got the price match as well.
kallyq is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion