Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iWork for iOS and Mac Updated With Password-Protected Sharing, New Features [Updated]

Along with an update for its iWork for iCloud apps that brought an iOS 7-style redesign, Apple today released updates for its iWork apps for both Mac and iOS, as well as minor updates for both iMovie for Mac and Podcasts for iOS.

All of Apple's iWork apps, including its iWork for iCloud apps, now have support for more secure document viewing with password-protected sharing capabilities.

In addition to password-protected documents, Keynote for iOS has also gained new transitions and a built-in remote function, which will likely replace the standalone Keynote Remote app, while Numbers for iOS now offers landscape viewing and the ability to edit spreadsheets.

Keynote for Mac has gained new transitions, improved display options, the ability to share password-protected presentations via iCloud, and charts with time, date, and duration values. The update also includes improved compatibility with Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 presentations and support for custom number charts on imported Keynote '09 and PowerPoint presentations.

Pages for Mac has a new vertical ruler, keyboard shortcuts, and alignment guides while Numbers for Mac now offers tools for sorting multiple columns or rows and autocomplete when editing cells. The updates for all of the apps should be available later today, with Slashgear and TechCrunch providing some additional information on the new features.

Apple's iWork update will be a welcome change for Mac users who were disappointed with the upgraded iWork apps that were released in October, as the new apps were missing several features available in older versions of the software. In November, Apple pledged to re-introduce several lost features over the course of the next six months and today's update is the first step in that direction.

The iWork suite of apps for iOS and Mac are available to users who owned previous versions of iWork and to users who have purchased new Mac and iOS devices. Customers who do not fit those criteria can purchase the iWork apps for Mac for $19.99 and the iWork apps for iOS for $9.99.

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac [Mac App Store]

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
Numbers for iOS - [App Store]
Keynote for iOS - [App Store]

Update: The updates for iWork for Mac and iOS are all available for download from their respective App Stores.

Update 2: The Keynote Remote app, which was never updated for iOS 7 or even the iPhone 5, has been removed from the App Store and Apple is now recommending that users upgrade to the new Keynote 2.1 for iOS to replace the functionality.

Article Link: iWork for iOS and Mac Updated With Password-Protected Sharing, New Features [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:17 PM   #2
macnisse
macrumors 6502

How about the backward compatibility?
macnisse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:20 PM   #3
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Not updating from iWorks '09 yet until there are more improvements to the new versions.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:23 PM   #4
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Only the Keynote update is showing up for me. The other apps just show installed right now.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

I was getting errors on my Mac when opening a Pages document created with the revised Pages for iCloud and was advised to do an update.

So here's the answer
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:23 PM   #6
jimthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnisse View Post
How about the backward compatibility?
I couldn't agree more. How are we supposed to be able to even see our old docs correctly, nevermind edit them, when the old versions (for Mac) become legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
Not updating from iWorks '09 yet until there are more improvements to the new versions.
Agree too, though on Mac at the very least you can have both old and new versions of the apps, if that is supposed to help. But LONGTERM that's not going to cut it, is it Apple! We need old docs to be made fully compatible WITHIN the new versions of the apps, or at the very least be able to upgrade old docs to new ones when opened in the new versions. Somehow, knowing Apple's history on helping their customers, I don't expect this unfortunately.

wiki:Apple
jimthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
Only the Keynote update is showing up for me. The other apps just show installed right now.
Same here... possibly Pages and Numbers will come at some point later?
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
milo
macrumors 603

Has anyone made a list of features removed from the old version, and how many (if any) are back with these updates?
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:30 PM   #9
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

No iOS iWork updates here. Only iWork update i've got was Keynote & iMovie for OS X
KattDaDon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:38 PM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Too little too late. Never remove features I use or you will never be trusted again.
roadbloc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:38 PM   #11
gutefahrt
macrumors member

Hoping for superscript & subscript.
gutefahrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Der Kommandant
macrumors newbie

I also got the ProApps Quicktime Codecs update, are they also released today?
Der Kommandant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:40 PM   #13
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Too little too late. Never remove features I use or you will never be trusted again.
It's usually expected for features to be missing right after a major software rewrite.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:41 PM   #14
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Not showing updates here
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:43 PM   #15
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
In addition to password-protected documents, Keynote for iOS has also gained new transitions and a built-in remote function, which will likely replace the standalone Keynote Remote app, while Numbers for iOS now offers landscape viewing and the ability to edit spreadsheets.
Wait, Numbers for iOS couldn't edit spreadsheets before? What did it do before, just view them?
commander.data is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:43 PM   #16
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Did you use Spaces?
cmChimera is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Sky Blue

Only Keynote on OS X for me.
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:48 PM   #18
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Can I copy/dupicate a page in the app CALLED PAGES yet?

Once I can, I likely will upgrade. Also not happy with Apple pulling out the multitouch gestures. Is that back?
zedsdead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:50 PM   #19
denno
macrumors newbie

Keynote presenter display

What was updated with presenter display in Keynote?? Looks the same and STILL can't resize or move the windows around.
denno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:53 PM   #20
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Did you use Spaces?
Yes I did. And surprise surprise, I don't really use OS X much anymore. To be fair, if Spaces had been replaced with something decent, I wouldn't have minded probably.

(The lack of spaces isn't the only reason I no longer use OS X either.)
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:56 PM   #21
baryon
macrumors 68030

The new Pages does really suck balls to be very fair. The whole format bar is now a massive, awkward sidebar, yet all the stupid little windows still have to be called up for certain tasks, like aligning an object. And you can't close them by pressing Cmd + W, you have to actually press the tiny mini-sized close button with the mouse.

It feels like the whole thing is empty, devoid of features.

Also, why the HELL does it come up with an OPEN FILE dialog every time I open Pages?? Why doesn't it open a blank document straight away? If I wanted to open an old file, I would open it from the damn Finder!

And I still hate the way Save As does "Duplicate". No I don't want two identical windows, dammit, it's so freaking annoying.

Pages '09 was crap but this is worse! It's not by adding a few features that it's going to get fixed. This needs a ground-up rewrite.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:59 PM   #22
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

Seriously? That's all? This sucks. Or rather, CONTINUES TO SUCK.

i'm not touching the new Pages until it is equal to Pages '09. Which pretty much seems like never. i can't even have them both installed without being forced to open documents in the new inferior version (yes, the file association feature is broken with these apps installed together).
dysamoria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:00 PM   #23
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes I did. And surprise surprise, I don't really use OS X much anymore. To be fair, if Spaces had been replaced with something decent, I wouldn't have minded probably.

(The lack of spaces isn't the only reason I no longer use OS X either.)
What are you using now if I may ask?
Spaces isn't the reason why I use OS X. The app switcher which separate key combo for window flipping is one reason, though. Makes things more graspable when lots of apps are running.

Aaanyway….
star-affinity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:00 PM   #24
KattDaDon
macrumors 6502

iOS iWork updates are now showing up after rebooting my iOS device
KattDaDon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:01 PM   #25
Harmonious Zen
macrumors 6502

Some strong feelings here against Pages. I have pretty light document editing needs so I quite enjoy the simplicity of the iWork suite
Harmonious Zen is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion