Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1
maia74
macrumors newbie

5 day old Powerbook with a flinching screen?!?

About a week ago, I ordered a customized 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4 with 2 GB of RAM and 120 GB hard drive. As soon as I got it, I turned it on...but within the first hour of playing with it, I noticed a really strange thing that I at first thought were my eyes playing tricks on me. Every so often (maybe twice within an hour, sometimes less, sometimes more), the screen would kind of flinch for literally a NANOSECOND. It's almost impossible to catch if you're not paying attention.

It's not as if the screen blacks out, which I would call more of a blinking...but it's really like the screen flinches and everything on it scrambles for that teeny tiny moment. I mean, it's the strangest little thing. This happened for the first time within an hour after I got it, so I'm absolutely positive I had nothing to do with it. I've had it for about a week and have already transferred old files and applications, all the while noticing this flinching even more. It's really beginning to worry me.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this before and would anyone know if it's serious? Should I contact Apple about it? I'd appreciate anyone's input, thanks guys...
maia74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

No brainer: Contact Apple ASAP, tell them it happened when you first turned on the machine, and point out it's within the DOA period.

Even if it turns out to be nothing, you still want this issue 'on the books' so that you can exercise your warranty rights.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:30 AM   #3
maia74
macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah that was obvious. Turns out that my version of os x just needed a new combo update...after I did that, it hasn't done it since. Wonderful!
maia74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:01 AM   #4
eleveneastgate
macrumors 6502

You should consider Repairing Disk Permissions too,

Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Choose HD > Repair Disk Permissions.

Visit: www.royallovesound.com / www.myspace.com/djtonypsalms / www.orthodoxmuzik.com
eBay Ref: topshelf_art_muzik
eleveneastgate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:07 AM   #5
tribe3
macrumors 6502

You won't see it happen again. That glitch went away with the first software update back in October.
Enjoy
tribe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs