Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Celebrate the Mac' Site Offers Photos of Vintage Macs in Celebration of 30th Anniversary

Jonathan Zufi, author of the coffee table book*"Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation" and the man behind the Shrine of Apple site, has created a new website that includes photos of Macintosh computers and portables from Apple's early years.

Quote:
To celebrate Mac's 30th birthday, I've created this micro site for all the world to enjoy. In 2009, I started taking photos of every Apple product ever made since 1976. Then I turned them into a really big photo site. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane, and I hope that the Macintosh's anniversary brings your happy memories of your own experience with Apple.
Divided into four sections, the site focuses on classic Macs like the 1984 Macintosh 128K and the 1987 Macintosh SE as well as portables like the 1991 Macintosh Powerbook 100 and the 1992 Macintosh Powerbook Duo 230.

There's also a section on the Macintosh II and LC, Apple's lower-end consumer computers introduced in the late 1980s and 1990s, and a section entitled "Other Awesome Macs" that shows off products like the 1993 Macintosh TV, the 1992 Macintosh Quadra 950, and the "Flower Power" iMac G3 from 2001.

Each photo is accompanied by a detailed description of product taken from Wikipedia, giving website visitors a quick history of the iconic computers that gave Apple its start. The full site, which has more than 35 photos and product descriptions, is well worth visiting.

January 24, 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the initial unveiling of the Macintosh. In celebration of the event, Apple executives Phil Schiller, Craig Federighi, and Bud Tribble interviewed with MacWorld to discuss the Mac and Apple CEO Tim Cook has plans to speak with ABC news about the anniversary tomorrow night.

Some of the original Macintosh development team, including Daniel Kottke and Mike Markkula, will hold an event with the Computer History Museum on January 25 to celebrate the anniversary as well. That event will take place at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California, where Steve Jobs originally introduced the Mac.

Article Link: 'Celebrate the Mac' Site Offers Photos of Vintage Macs in Celebration of 30th Anniversary
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2
buysp
macrumors 6502

Nice piece of art! I do miss those beige boxes! lol
My first interaction with Apple was my sisters lle in the early 80's!

Last edited by buysp; Jan 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
buysp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

already got the iconic book, at least this new site is better then the old one.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 01:24 AM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

I used to be a hard-core Mac-hater. (Remember the 90s when they were so overpriced? Combine that finding myself in an environment that shoved Macs down my throat, even for tasks they weren't best for.)

But even then, I secretly coveted a PowerBook Duo, a PowerBook 520 or a Mac LC. It's amazing to remember how awful most PC hardware design was back then--and the Mac designs of the 90s hold up to this day!

(As do most. But not the G3 Tooth and "speed holes" G4! Yikes. To say nothing of F____ P____ iMacs.)
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 01:54 AM   #5
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Out of all the colours of iMac G3 they chose the flower power one, the most hideously tacky????

Is it because the f*^* up colour matches the new UI trend? Oh lord I can only imagine how the new version of iMac will look like...

They could make by the way a red version of those and sell them for 1,000,000
Old Jan 24, 2014, 02:39 AM   #6
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

The screen of the original Macintosh fits on a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro more than 25 times! https://twitter.com/macformat/status/426619416479297536
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeuoGU8IgAA5en7.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	457965  
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:20 AM   #7
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

That was a nice site (got all nostalgic seeing the SE and Color Classic, and some of the II series), but it had a few bugs in it. The IIfx picture is shown twice (first time labeled as the II), and the G4 MDD picture is swapped with the regular G4's picture. Also saw one unlabeled photo in the last set.

I almost wish we could have some more color in Mac design again. The translucent side with the "G3" showing through on the blue&white G3 Tower... nice effect.

It also struck me how much the new Mac Pro resembles the Bose subwoofer from the Twentieth Anniversary Mac.
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:59 AM   #8
al256
macrumors 6502a

I truly wish there was a special order program at Apple to buy a new Mac that uses these old, beautiful designs. I'd even take it if all they offered was a base model 11" MBA for the hardware side.

I miss my old Pismo the most, of all the Macs I've owned.

Quote:
"All these years, all these memories, there was you. You pull me through time."

Last edited by al256; Jan 24, 2014 at 04:06 AM.
al256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:25 AM   #9
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
It also struck me how much the new Mac Pro resembles the Bose subwoofer from the Twentieth Anniversary Mac.
I tried making a quick comparison picture, and I think I got the dimensions right...

Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:28 AM   #10
jm001
macrumors 6502

I remember my first Mac it was a used Mac Plus. All those days spent playing "The Art Of War". I still have my Mac IIsi sitting in my basement. I may set it up and turn it on for old time's sake to celebrate 30 years of Mac.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:42 AM   #11
saggsy
macrumors newbie

Eeeehhhhh. Pics for Mirrored Drive Doors and Quicksilver need to be swapped.

saggsy
saggsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:47 AM   #12
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I always wish Apple would cram modern components into the original Mac case and sell it for a limited time.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by al256 View Post

I miss my old Pismo the most, of all the Macs I've owned.
Funny. Pismo was nice but it didn't excite me like the TiBook. I remember I drove from DC to the Wilmington DE CompUSA to buy my TiBook when it first came out. It was the only store in the region that had one for immediate purchase. Fortunately since it was DE it was tax free so that negated the cost of gas to get there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
I always wish Apple would cram modern components into the original Mac case and sell it for a limited time.
I don't think I could go back to using a 9" screen on a daily basis.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:52 AM   #14
Ventucky
macrumors newbie

January 24, 2014 commemorates the 40th anniversary of Ventucky. Happy Birthday me!
Ventucky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:21 AM   #15
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020

Cool site. Seeing the Apple Network Server is interesting. It's to bad Apple turned away from business machines. I know so many 'business people' that have MacBooks and love them...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Doctor Q
Administrator

The photo of a Flower Power iMac brings back fond memories of my days in the hippie commune.

Actually, I borrowed the iMac and collected the costume and decorations specifically to pose for this photo. Groovy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Q_ultimate_hippie.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	458005  
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:38 AM   #17
ClassicII
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
I tried making a quick comparison picture, and I think I got the dimensions right...

That's cool!!! Thanks
ClassicII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:09 PM   #18
theharpster
Banned

1984, what a year...

Bought this 128K Mac thru a "connection" at Apple for $1,300 as I recall in 1984. Keyboard, mouse, original floppies and original soft case in a box somewhere around here! Still works. I think I've had just about every mac that's been made and still have most of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	128KMAC.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	458091  
theharpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:15 PM   #19
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
The photo of a Flower Power iMac brings back fond memories of my days in the hippie commune.

Actually, I borrowed the iMac and collected the costume and decorations specifically to pose for this photo. Groovy!
This is amazing Doctor Q !

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion