Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To celebrate the debut of the original Macintosh 30 years ago today, Apple has posted a tribute on the homepage of its website, and has also created a special "Thirty Years of Mac" section accompanied by a new "Mac 30" video looking at the past and present of its signature desktop computer.

applecom_mac301-800x526.png
Happy Birthday, Mac.

In 1984, Apple introduced the world to Macintosh.

It was designed to be so easy to use that people could actually use it.

And it came with a promise -- that the power of technology taken from a few and put in the hands of everyone, could change the world.

That promise has been kept.

Today, we create, connect, share, and share, and learn in ways that were unimaginable 30 years ago.

Imagine what we can accomplish in the next 30 years.
The special "30 Years" section of Apple's website allows users to scroll through a visual timeline of the Macintosh's history, beginning with the first Mac in 1984 all the way to the recently released Mac Pro. Each page in the timeline is introduced by a passage on the Mac's impact on an individual or entity, such as the Macintosh II's role in the creation of computational program Mathematica by Theodore Gray or the role the MacBook Pro played in helping create online coding tutorial platform Codecademy.

applemac30_2-800x418.jpg
Pages in the visual timeline also include retrospective information on every Macintosh with photos, and are also followed by research about the most popular uses for a particular Mac. Apple also includes a page for users to input data about their first Mac, which asks questions about location and ownership. The data given by users can be found on another section that gives a visual look at what models were chosen by people as their first Mac, with live updating information.

applemac30_3-800x679.jpg
Meanwhile, the Mac 30 video on the website includes remarks about the Macintosh by notable individuals such as music composer Hans Zimmer and designer Iris van Herpen, and also features a visual look of the computer's impact in various industries.

In addition to the festivities on Apple's website, three Apple executives spoke to MacWorld about the Macintosh's illustrious history, which will be followed by ABC News airing an interview tonight with Apple CEO Tim Cook about the computer's thirtieth anniversary. Jonathan Zufi, author of the coffee table book "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation," also created a new website that includes photos of macintosh computers and portables from Apple's early years.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Thirty Years of Macintosh with Homepage Tribute, Visual Timeline, 'Mac 30' Video

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
At first I thought Apple released a new display! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

But this is also nice.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
great designs!! from the web design to the photography of the mac.
happy 30th year mac!!

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Happy birthday, Mac! What an excellent tribute and history Apple have done on their website. Love all the press they are doing around the Mac as well. Just goes to show how much Apple still respects the Macintosh even though it isn't really the core of their profits anymore. :apple:.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Macintosh timeline...

I am surprised it shows people were using "Internet & Email" as far back as 1989...

I was in Junior High in 89 with a Mac II and a 2400 baud modem. Sure BBSs were around but the Internet? The only way we had access to the real internet(not CompuServe or other service) in the state at that time was dial-up to the University running usenet(not gopher) and elm(I think) on a Vax.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's actually sort of jarring to see Apple's older products in the context of their newer website and animations. What an awesome homage!

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Well as a musician who wanted to record al by himself, I'm old enough to remember there WAS an alternative, named Atari. But after the Atari Falcon debacle most musicians jumped on the Apple wagon. My first Apple computer being a Macintosh Performa, then G3, Powermac G5, old Mac Pro, and who knows the new Mac Pro this year.

All in all when looking back it has been truly a revolution where we are today and the way Apple has contributed being able to do what I do today. Looking forward for the next 30 years ;)

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Beautiful stroll through history.

You can also see how the impact of Steve Jobs slowly disappears through the nineties, and how it suddenly makes a comeback with the iMac.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
An incredible 30 years. They really put a lot of effort into that website.

Seems to me that Macs are getting more love than iOS devices at the moment! Keep rocking, Mac! :cool:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You mean with the text embedded as a graphic? o.0

I actually think this is a bit… well, not what Steve Would Do©

Come on Zeldain, there's a time and a place for these comments. On a thread celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Mac? Probably not the best one.

We're (mostly) all Apple users here for one reason or another. Let's embrace the good for once, and drop the pessimism for a day. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.