Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrs111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Just ordered a Fusion drive 27 iMac. Wondering if Windows would work better if I installed a VM instead of going through Boot Camp? Would it access the SSD that way?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just ordered a Fusion drive 27 iMac. Wondering if Windows would work better if I installed a VM instead of going through Boot Camp? Would it access the SSD that way?
VM software like VMware would use the FUsion Dirve like any other application on OS X.

The question is, do you really need Bootcamp for what you're running in Windows? If you don't need Bootcamp for what you're running, it saves the hassle of rebooting your computer every time you need to run something ib Windows.

nrs111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Thanks Bear.

Maybe I have a misconception but I don't understand what you mean by "do you really need Bootcamp". I probably didn't describe my original question well. Given the 2 ways to run Windows I was wondering if a VM might work better than BC with a fusion setup. My 2006 iMac really bogged down if I tried running Parallels. I thought maybe with this setup a VM might actually perform better than BC because it could utilize the SS portion of the drive?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thanks Bear.

Maybe I have a misconception but I don't understand what you mean by "do you really need Bootcamp". I probably didn't describe my original question well. Given the 2 ways to run Windows I was wondering if a VM might work better than BC with a fusion setup. My 2006 iMac really bogged down if I tried running Parallels. I thought maybe with this setup a VM might actually perform better than BC because it could utilize the SS portion of the drive?
It all depends on what you're running under Windows. Some software has no real gain being run under Bootcamp, so running it in a VM on a FD would be a performance improvement.

As for me, unless I needed Bootcamp for the software under windows to run decently, I would just run it in a VM even without a fusion drive.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Bootcamp doesn't use the SSD portion of a fusion drive, only the spinning hard drive.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639
From that Boot Camp 5 FAQ:
Do computers that come with a Fusion Drive support Boot Camp?
Yes. Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition and install Boot Camp. The Windows partition will exist on the hard disk drive, not the Flash drive, and is not part of Fusion Drive Logical Volume Group ...

nrs111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Bootcamp doesn't use the SSD portion of a fusion drive, only the spinning hard drive.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639
From that Boot Camp 5 FAQ:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. To take advantage of the SSD portion using Windows I could use a VM. It's kind of reverse logic from my old iMac that was bogged down running Parallels.

Thanks to you and Bear for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.