Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
hey

im curious to see some nice screens =)

it would be nice if those of you guys who have a really crisp, bright and non-yellowish screen can post a photo (no screenshot).

best would be with a white background or maxed finder window...

i think almost ALL 27" iMacs have a little yellowish tint on the bottom 1/3.

greets

mikeyb99

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Good screen!

My new (10 days ago) 27" mac screen is perfect. I can see the point of photos of imperfect panels, but I'm not about to spend time trying to take a correctly balanced photo of a pure white screen in artificial light, take it from me! ;)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Mine's totally tint-free.

If it helps, my iMac was one of those that were assembled in the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.JPG
    IMG_3628.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 223

Seramir

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006

I actually see a tiny hint of color shift towards the bottom.

But if you are happy with it and don't notice, then that's all is important! :)

If you want to see my screen, I post it in the other populated yellow screen thread. It isn't 100% yellow free, but it's about as close as perfect as you can get on an iMac display I think!

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
just to be clear... i just want to verify that this issue is common to all 2013 imacs. if not it would be nice... but it really seems like most of the imacs have this issue.

any more tint-free photos?

----------

actually, this looks ok for me.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Nope I didn't notice it.

Damn.

aaaaaaand another one ;)

welcome to the quality-control-failure-club

monday i will get my machine back... i will check in Store if the screen is ok... if not... they have to replace it again. i dont let go :D

Last edited:

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
In yjchua's photo I don't see it and if it is that light that it's that hard to see then I wouldn't know if it had a little difference in color towards the bottom. Mine looks fine to me so I'm happy with it.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Mine doesn't look that rosey in the corner areas with my eye. It's pretty much even white all around.

imacscreen.JPG

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Nope I didn't notice it.

Damn.

Don't take this too seriously. There are a few things you should realize before falling in with these miserable fools:

1. Why assume your camera and picture are perfect? Differences you see could be due to the camera sensor or lens or lighting, etc.
2. A picture doesn't view the entire screen at the same angle. Changing viewing angle usually results in a subtle shift in color.
3. No panels are perfect. Let's say that again: there are no perfect panels. The unicorns took them all away.
4. If you have to stare at your display for days using specially designed tests plus the encouragement of social media before you can kind-of maybe sorta see a yellow tint... you have a great panel. Congrats. Enjoy it and leave these sad sacks to wallow in their own misery.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
This again? The lower part of the screen will appear slightly yellowish, because you're looking at it from an oblique angle. That's how the iMac screen is made, and how the curing of the glue or whatever between the screen and the glass works. Lower your head and look more directly at the lower part of the screen, and the tinge goes away. A friendly advice: stop wasting your time and energy obsessing about small flaws, and just enjoy your iMac.

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Don't take this too seriously. There are a few things you should realize before falling in with these miserable fools:

1. Why assume your camera and picture are perfect? Differences you see could be due to the camera sensor or lens or lighting, etc.
2. A picture doesn't view the entire screen at the same angle. Changing viewing angle usually results in a subtle shift in color.
3. No panels are perfect. Let's say that again: there are no perfect panels. The unicorns took them all away.
4. If you have to stare at your display for days using specially designed tests plus the encouragement of social media before you can kind-of maybe sorta see a yellow tint... you have a great panel. Congrats. Enjoy it and leave these sad sacks to wallow in their own misery.

I was thinking that my iPhone's WB wasn't perfectly balanced, being a bit warmer at the bottom, because as far as I can see with my eyes, my iMac's screen looks just perfect :)

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This again? The lower part of the screen will appear slightly yellowish, because you're looking at it from an oblique angle. That's how the iMac screen is made, and how the curing of the glue or whatever between the screen and the glass works. Lower your head and look more directly at the lower part of the screen, and the tinge goes away. A friendly advice: stop wasting your time and energy obsessing about small flaws, and just enjoy your iMac.

Exactly! When you shift your viewing angle the tint goes away.

This is really getting out of hand. If you need to look for it by standing on one foot with one hand over your left eye and singing the Washington State fight song, you are looking too hard. Just enjoy the iMac. Under normal viewing circumstances, the display looks fine.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012

Don't be ridiculous.

True.

True, but misleading. Some are close to perfect and FAR better than the rubbish many iMac users have to put up with. The problem is they cost more and you find them in Eizo and NEC monitors costing £1,000+

And if you have a stinker with dreadful uniformity and clear yellow tint at the bottom, you should just grin and bear it right?

By the way, here's mine: (I am delighted to have got a good one, after RMA'ing the first.) Uniformity isn't brilliant, but no howling errors.

ouseg6.jpg

Last edited:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Don't be ridiculous.
? How so?

Also, there's nothing misleading about saying there are no perfect panels. You're reading into that something I didn't say and didn't intend to imply. I know not all iMac panels are good enough -- I've seen bad ones. I know there are good ones -- I've seen them too. My point is, that if you look closely enough at any panel you will be able to find flaws. There are people on this forum that will stare at any picture posted, find the flaws, blow them up, and declare the screen flawed. Now *there's* something that's true but misleading.

People can look at their screens and trust their own eyes.

If you like what you see, congrats, you have a great computer. Enjoy it.
If you don't, return it, sell it, complain on MR, whatever. But don't try to convince other people that, despite the evidence of their own eyes, their computer is also crap.

And if you have a stinker with dreadful uniformity and clear yellow tint at the bottom, you should just grin and bear it right?

Of course not. Now that's ridiculous.

minimalism

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
Like what others have stated, the primary cause I'm afraid is the viewing angle. Remember that light refracts once it hits a kind of prism, similar to how we see the rainbow after the rain.

Mine has got this slight yellow tinting but when you change your angle of view, it disappears. This also answers the question why 27" ones are more prone to this than the 21" considering the viewing angle required for a larger screen.

c481edd

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Like what others have stated, the primary cause I'm afraid is the viewing angle. Remember that light refracts once it hits a kind of prism, similar to how we see the rainbow after the rain.

Mine has got this slight yellow tinting but when you change your angle of view, it disappears. This also answers the question why 27" ones are more prone to this than the 21" considering the viewing angle required for a larger screen.

Yes, viewing angle can cause some difference in appearance between the top and bottom of the screen. No, it is not the primary cause of the yellow tint issues reported on these forums.

Two tests if you think you are just blowing a viewing angle difference out of proportion:

1) Look at the screen from a distance. The further you are, the lesser the difference in angle between the top and bottom of the screen.

2) Flip your mac upside down and see if the "problem" flips upside down as well. If it doesn't, just viewing angle.

I did test 1 at the Apple store and verified that the yellow tint was real on the actual floor models (i.e., the difference in uniformity was visible from across the store).

I did test 2 on my own iMac, and the yellow tint that was "on the bottom" flipped when I flipped the screen. I returned it.

If you don't care whether your screen is uniform or have a perfect screen, that's fine, but then please don't try to tell us that we're just seeing things.

GolferChris68

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012

Bingo!

----------

Yes, viewing angle can cause some difference in appearance between the top and bottom of the screen. No, it is not the primary cause of the yellow tint issues reported on these forums.

Two tests if you think you are just blowing a viewing angle difference out of proportion:

1) Look at the screen from a distance. The further you are, the lesser the difference in angle between the top and bottom of the screen.

2) Flip your mac upside down and see if the "problem" flips upside down as well. If it doesn't, just viewing angle.

I did test 1 at the Apple store and verified that the yellow tint was real on the actual floor models (i.e., the difference in uniformity was visible from across the store).

I did test 2 on my own iMac, and the yellow tint that was "on the bottom" flipped when I flipped the screen. I returned it.

If you don't care whether your screen is uniform or have a perfect screen, that's fine, but then please don't try to tell us that we're just seeing things.
Absolutely, there are defective screens, and if you have one, return it. However, it is important to differentiate between one that is actually defective, and one that is operating normally, but appears not to be because of viewing angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.