Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Hello all!

Thought this was an interesting read over at Game Agent.

http://blog.gameagent.com/mac-gaming-101-brief-history-mac-gaming/

The first Mac game I recall playing was Spectre VR. I had a lot of fun with that.

The first Apple game I played however, is something on my grandmothers Apple II. I forgot the name of it, but you played a little ship at the bottom of the screen and had to blow up stuff above. It even had these little knob controllers you could play it on, or with two people.

Otherwise Oregon Trail in black and green graphics was always fun.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I just finished that same article myself. They point out a lot of great games that came to Macs over the years. It's especially nice to see the parade of excellent recent titles that have been released in the past several years.

I read another good article today as well on the impact of the Mac App Store and Steam on Mac gaming which of course has been great. It's always nice to read good news, isn't it?

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
Don't tell anyone, but I've got more games on my iMac than I have time to play them.

I find KickStarter is an excellent place to find upcoming Mac games, it's quite a rarity to find Windows only titles there.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Same here as well!

I try to cover/showcase new in and interesting ones for folks, but I get more than I have time for!

So THAT's you Al. I was wondering what your name was here. :p

Ignorance about Mac gaming both within *and* outside the community is something that needs combating. I just met two people who didn't know Mafia 2 was on the Mac, and that was 2 years ago. They were like "What? I'm buying that right now!"

Information and knowledge must be spread :) There's so much in Mac's past AND present worth talking about.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Haha! Hallo there. If you look closely you'll notice my username here is my channel URL ;)

Also I completely agree, I actually have to people today that want to know if they should get macs now. :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
As someone who has been gaming on Apple since Wizardry, Castle Wolfenstein, etc on an Apple ][+, I agree, and have too much of a Mac backlog to ever finish in my life (not counting new ones I accumulate)!

But I just HAVE to point out the bitter irony of having a 'Star Wars The Old Republic' banner ad at the bottom of the page discussing Mac vs. PC gaming when SWTOR has been famously shut out of the Mac ...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My top 5 gaming experiences on the Mac were: Marathon, purely awesome multiplayer back when we were all new to arena style play, Myth, Halo, and Unreal/ Tournament. I'll include the original Half Life but I played that first on a PC...

game%2Bmarathon.jpg

Myth_425.jpg

Halo-combat-evolved.jpg

profile2.jpg

unreal-tournament-20041.jpg

image-2-half-life.jpg

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Really? Halo? I mean, a late port of a crappy port of one of the most over-rated games of all time? Oh well, different strokes ...

I much preferred Jedi Knight II, since it hit the Mac within 6 months of the PC, and had excellent graphics usage of OpenGL.

I also loved NWN2, and how Bioware did a great job of allowing manual installs of the XPs so we could play the expansions right away then buy them to support Aspyr as well!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
All great stuff Huntn! I only object to using an image of Marathon from the iphone version :p

Fixed. (I just downloaded the iPad version to check it out) :) Marathon is the first game that really made the Mac a gaming machine, but I'll also include Myst. :D

Really? Halo? I mean, a late port of a crappy port of one of the most over-rated games of all time? Oh well, different strokes ...

I much preferred Jedi Knight II, since it hit the Mac within 6 months of the PC, and had excellent graphics usage of OpenGL.

I also loved NWN2, and how Bioware did a great job of allowing manual installs of the XPs so we could play the expansions right away then buy them to support Aspyr as well!

Apparently. :)

Last edited:

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Nostalgia =D

Early games on the mac were good times
Prince of persia
Glider
Warcraft II
Diable 1 + 2
Myst

Anyone remember reckless driving? Nanosaur?

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Nostalgia =D

Early games on the mac were good times
Prince of persia
Glider
Warcraft II
Diable 1 + 2
Myst

Anyone remember reckless driving? Nanosaur?

All good games, though I was never a Myst fan. I certainly remember Nanosaur, and did mention it in the article :) Reckless driving was solid fun as well.

Warcraft II, very worthy title, brought to us by Blizzard who has always been on Macs side. ;)

I spent much of youth on Warcraft II and the expansion, Tides of Darkness. I always favored the Orcs, while my brother favored the Humans. I'd then make us multiplayer maps to play agains the computer. Great times. :)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
My top 5 gaming experiences on the Mac were: Marathon, purely awesome multiplayer back when we were all new to arena style play, Myth, Halo, and Unreal/ Tournament. I'll include the original Half Life but I played that first on a PC…

Myth 1 / 2 FTW :D. Next to Wow, I spent more time on-line playing Myth I / 2. It was a great community.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.