Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pitusky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
What do you think is going to be the specs for the rumored 2014 Macbook Air?
Share it with us in this thread :apple:

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
I wish it could just get a spec bump, smaller bezels and non-retina IPS displays..

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Based on the various rumors (on this site) I am leaning towards it being a 12" (11.88) retina (they are killing the 11 and 13 and replacing it with a single 12) with bumped CPU, RAM, HD specs.

Just a guess, though.

And as long as they can keep the insane battery time of the current 2013 models, I'll be happy, regardless!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Based on the various rumors (on this site) I am leaning towards it being a 12" (11.88) retina (they are killing the 11 and 13 and replacing it with a single 12) with bumped CPU, RAM, HD specs.

Just a guess, though.

And as long as they can keep the insane battery time of the current 2013 models, I'll be happy, regardless!

This would actually make sense and be great. I'd be very interested.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The MBAs already have PCIe SSDs, latest Intel processors and up to 8GB RAM. A definite: they'll bump to the 2014 Intel processor.

Unlikely: Perhaps they'll drop the price a little, or increase the amount of RAM/SSD in the base or upgradeable models.

More unlikely, they'll up the display.

Most unlikely: It's going to be thinner than paper, and powered by fanboyism. You will merely need to flick your wrist and the screen (4K retina, of course) will appear from nowhere. It'll coincide with the latest version of OS X, which will incorporate a new method of interface. No mouse, no keyboard. No Siri. It's controlled by your MIND.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
11" Retina Screen
12" Retina "Touch Screen"
13" Retina Screen
15" Yes 15" MBA, Retina Screen :cool:higher end graphics card,16 MB RAM

13" MBP Discontinued
15" MBP next Intel Processor, up to 32 MB RAM, Latest NVIDIA GPU 2TB RAM

I think you may have your megabytes, gigabytes and terabytes confused ;)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It's going to have the following specs:
  • Retina display at 2732 x 1536 (11,6")
  • 8 hours battery life
  • 200gr lighter
  • even thinner
  • IPS display instead of TN

But now that I am thinking about it, this isn't happening! At least not before 2015...
This year we will see the usual iterative update.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
But now that I am thinking about it, this isn't happening! At least not before 2015...
This year we will see the usual iterative update.

But that's what happened last year! It's time for a major revision.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
everyone refers to the 11 inch as 11 inch and the upcoming 12 inch as 12 inches. when both of them is 11.6 and 11.88 respectively. so the difference will be what .2 in size. everyone going to rush to get the 12 like its this bigger screen when its .2? really?. I certainly wouldnt want to lose the 13 inch machine for it. it basically forces me to a 11 inch computer. I will not buy it.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
everyone refers to the 11 inch as 11 inch and the upcoming 12 inch as 12 inches. when both of them is 11.6 and 11.88 respectively. so the difference will be what .2 in size. everyone going to rush to get the 12 like its this bigger screen when its .2? really?. I certainly wouldnt want to lose the 13 inch machine for it. it basically forces me to a 11 inch computer. I will not buy it.

They called 11 inch for product differentiation... marketing term. 11.6 is really closer to 12 :D. I think, having a 12 and 13 inch laptop in your lineup is confusing for mass consumers. Especially if they are wanting to release a 12" iPad in the future. I think they would keep 11 and 13 for laptops, and have 9.7 and 12.x for iPads in the near future.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Actually I don't see where the problem is. One laptop would be 11,8" and the other 13,3"
Now we have 11,6 and 13,3 inches, so it's not a big deal.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
In my opinion the screen is a disgrace, so I really hope they upgrade it.. Not necessarily retina resolution, but just better colors.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
In my opinion the screen is a disgrace, so I really hope they upgrade it.. Not necessarily retina resolution, but just better colors.

The Macbook Air needs an IPS panel. The current models use TN panels.
If you are also unlucky and gotten an LG display, then you really have a bad display. MacBooks with Samsung display are much better. I know from experience. Last September I got one with LG display and this January my second MBA had a Samsung one. Much better...

But yes, I agree, Apple should provide a much better display for the MBA. If the MBA had a Retina display, then I would really be happy (but of course I understand the battery challenges in order to make it happen).

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
12" IPS retina touch
360 degree hinge
Duel boot to OSX and iOS

Don't think, just want...

They should ditch the so-called iPad Pro and make this, which would be the ultimate portable business machine.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
12" IPS retina touch

360 degree hinge

Duel boot to OSX and iOS

Don't think, just want...

They should ditch the so-called iPad Pro and make this, which would be the ultimate portable business machine.

That wouldn't be intuitive. Dual booting is never a good idea.
Dynamic switching between OSes would be nice, but even that is problematic from a user perspective.

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
An iPad/MBA hybrid that has iOS and also runs desktop OS X would be interesting, but I'm not really sure if the demand for that exists, or if Apple would even be willing to natively add touch to OS X just to be able to meet that questionable demand. Windows + Touch has always been horrible, and OS X has very similar mechanics and interfaces.

Would I buy one? Probably, but I want to have as few devices in my go bag as possible - I travel 60-80% of the year, so one less device would be stellar.

What do I honestly expect from the 2014 MBA? Thunderbolt 2, Latest Intel processors, Intel Iris or similar iterative bump from current on board graphics, IPS screens, possibly a slightly reworked chassis for an updated design.

Wishes?
-TouchID -- I absolutely LOVE TouchID on my iPhone 5s. Would love for it to be integrated into the new MBA.
-Fully integrated SD Card slot. It's unacceptable that the SD card sticks out. I have a cool flush SD card that holds a micro SD card inside of it because I've broken a couple in the past.

That being said, I'm not in the market for a new one unless it prints money and glazes donuts in its spare time. My fully loaded 2013 MBA is fantastic and I absolutely love it. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.