Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
So I know VLC recommends using AirPlay Mirroring in order to get files from their iOS app onto your Apple TV. This, like anything AirPlay Mirroring related, has been a huge letdown for me. Video playback is choppy and unwatchable.

I'm open to purchasing a Chromecast or another STB under $200 if you can provide me a foolproof way of watching video files contained within the iOS VLC app onto my HDTV.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
There is no foolproof way. AirPlay audio&video requires hardware decoding, which is only supported for iOS native video formats (H.264 and MPEG4). All other video formats must be software decoded and hence can only be mirrored. This applies to all players.

Not sure about VLC, but most other players like nPlayer will give you an AirPlay Audio&Video option if the content is iOS compliant and a mirroring option in all other cases.

ChromeCast is not much of an option, at least not on iOS since very few apps supports it and is tailored for streaming content from services on the net like youtube, NetFlix etc. For local content on your iOS device, well then you are out of luck again I would guess (but not 100% sure).

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I too had problems streaming video to the ATV using Airplay. It would take a long time for the video to start, and often it wouldn't start at all.

This morning I solved my problem by downgrading the firmware on my ATV to 5.3 (I was on 6.0.2).

Now video starts quickly like it used to do and also Airplay from my iPad is working much better.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
So I think I have my solution. Infuse Pro app. I caught wind of the Infuse 2 app in another thread. So I downloaded it last night but you have to pay $5 for the Pro version in order to AirPlay. So I took a chance and last night I was able to AirPlay an HD video file onto my ATV3 via my iPad with no problems. I'm going to test out other videos when I have time. This could be the solution I've been seeking for years now. Fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.