Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We'll I succumbed to temptation and I've gone and bought an Xbox One with dead rising 3 and Zoo Tycoon.

I knew I'd eventually get one but even I've shocked myself that I bought one, but I decided that I'll get multi-format titles on PS4 and use my Wii U and Xbox One for console exclusives.

So anyone else succumb to the tri-force yet as I know many if you are just as lunatic as myself when it comes to console hoarding....

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'll end up with an XBox One. I have a PS4, PS3, and 360 at the moment. I do have a Wii but I don't even know where it is as I haven't bothered to hook it back up last time I took it out to a friends. I ordered an XBox One but then cancelled it after realizing there are currently no games I want to play on it that I can't play on other machines I have. So maybe in a year. The Wii U.... probably never.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll end up with an XBox One. I have a PS4, PS3, and 360 at the moment. I do have a Wii but I don't even know where it is as I haven't bothered to hook it back up last time I took it out to a friends. I ordered an XBox One but then cancelled it after realizing there are currently no games I want to play on it that I can't play on other machines I have. So maybe in a year. The Wii U.... probably never.

Sadly it seems many folks are thinking the same about the wii-u yet it does and will have some great games in 2014 but going further into the future things are looking very grey for it indeed.

I only got the Xbox one because it was €135 off the RRP (€425 compared to €560 sold separately) for the console and dead rising 3.

Other than it and Zoo Tycoon there is little else at the moment for me, but Titanfall will likely be of interest, as well as hope that one day I see some more classic a Rare games ....

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I got an Xbox One at launch for Forza 5. I waited until Thursday to pick up the PS4 and I finished killzone shadow fall this afternoon. I have Tomb Raider pre-ordered for PS4 which will be the next title I get for it.

I also have xbox 360 and PS3 but I'm not bothering with a Wii U as I don't care for Mario, Zelda or smash bros games.

Loving the one and PS4 enough to cancel my world of warcraft subs. Looking forward to Outlast in February on PS4 for free, although it looks terrifying.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Sadly it seems many folks are thinking the same about the wii-u yet it does and will have some great games in 2014 but going further into the future things are looking very grey for it indeed.

I really have just had poor luck trying to get the Wii controllers to work (motion/IR) and aside from Zelda and Mario, I just don't have that much interest in the system. To be honest Mario isn't even that much of a draw for me. I'll just wait until 3 more iterations down the line when all these current Zelda games are rereleased yet again.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really have just had poor luck trying to get the Wii controllers to work (motion/IR) and aside from Zelda and Mario, I just don't have that much interest in the system. To be honest Mario isn't even that much of a draw for me. I'll just wait until 3 more iterations down the line when all these current Zelda games are rereleased yet again.

That's the best thing about the wii-u so far is that I haven't had to use the wii remote.

For me I ended up disliking most wii games because I spent the entire game fighting with a control scheme that was never comfortable or as accurate as it could have been. Knowing in nearly all cases a traditional controller would have worked far better. Even Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight & Skyward for me were utterly ruined due to the wii remote and nun chuck.

Playing games on wii u is vastly more enjoyable than wii.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So anyone else succumb to the tri-force yet as I know many if you are just as lunatic as myself when it comes to console hoarding....

Sadly I probably won't get all 3 this time around. I had an Xbox 360 since around 2007-ish and I've amassed a total of 3 disc-games and 10 download-games. I like Halo, I like playing FPS games on my PC but there's a nice simplicity in that series - it's not too fast or too difficult. But I'm not buying a console just for Halo. Aside from that I'm really not into Kinect and I don't like not being able to upgrade my own HDD.

I'm not even too interested in Sony first-party titles and IPs aside from Little Big Planet.

PC for almost everything
PS4 for multiplatform console-exclusives
Wii U for Nintendo exclusives
3DS for the above and everything else
Vita for reasons unknown, it's just a great little device.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm not even too interested in Sony first-party titles and IPs aside from Little Big Planet.

PC for almost everything
PS4 for multiplatform console-exclusives
Wii U for Nintendo exclusives
3DS for the above and everything else
Vita for reasons unknown, it's just a great little device.

I had a normal old DS and the battery life on it was phenomenal. Then I got my 3DS and never use the 3D... and the battery life sucks. I'm half tempted to go back to a DS.

I love the Vita but mostly for being able to play my PS4 games away from my PS4. I actually got it for doing that with the PS3 then found out the PS3 has like 3 decent games that it actually works with. I don't play stuff like Battlefield 4 using the Vita but for more casual games like Knack and Lego Marvel Heroes, it works wonderfully.

----------

That's the best thing about the wii-u so far is that I haven't had to use the wii remote.

Well maybe I'll give the Wii U a shot after a while. I'll wait for a bunch of games to be out for it that I want first.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The 3DS is atrocious on battery life, but the 3DS XL is pretty fantastic - a HUGE improvement over the original - I'd recommend going that direction - the 3DS has such an amazing library and the XL really is the must have system these days.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
We'll I succumbed to temptation and I've gone and bought an Xbox One with dead rising 3 and Zoo Tycoon.

I knew I'd eventually get one but even I've shocked myself that I bought one, but I decided that I'll get multi-format titles on PS4 and use my Wii U and Xbox One for console exclusives.

I'm waiting to pick up the powerhouse console first (ps4) then when Microsoft brings the xbox one to a respectable price point (400 or lower) I'm all in.

As far as wii u, I just don't have any interest in it.

This will be the first Nintendo home console I didn't buy SINCE EVER!

Antares

macrumors 68000
Bi-Force for me.

Wii-U (have one, now)
PS4 (eventually, after a price drop or two)

XboxOne just doesn't interest me, at this point. It's not worth it just for Halo, Fable and Killer Instinct. It doesn't have any compelling features that would make me want it instead of or in addition to the PS4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had a normal old DS and the battery life on it was phenomenal. Then I got my 3DS and never use the 3D... and the battery life sucks. I'm half tempted to go back to a DS.

I'd recommend the 3DS XL for battery life. I've never had it drain on me, even whilst on holidays with little power outlet availability. Even with 3D on it lasts for me.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
PS4 and Wii U for me.
I am not interested in any Xbox exclusives apart from Forza (but Gran Turismo is better anyway) plus the fact that I quite simply don't have room for it.

I haven't retired my PS3 yet and have to keep swapping out the HDMI cables between the Wii U and PS3. So makes no sense what so ever for me to pick up an X bone.

Now, how about that Nintendo Fusion?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Now, how about that Nintendo Fusion?

Nintendo has to do something... they have their exclusives but it's really not enough. Their controller (at least for the Wii) along with the lower specs made it hard for companies to click the "port to Wii" button in Unreal/Unity/etc. Even when their default controller did work fine for the game that meant that anything made to utilize the extras of the controller often felt tacked on since it wouldn't work on the other consoles and PC. I think they had it when the Wii came out and pushed the Kinect/Move (neither of which I own or care to use) but unfortunately for Nintendo they really need to boost specs and ditch the Wii-mote... in which case why not just publish your Nintendo games on the PS4 or something at this point... I dunno. They make decent games and lead or at least kept up with consoles for a long time, but they need to do something drastic if they want to get back in I think. Unfortunately I think at this point 'drastic' means do close to what everyone else is doing.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I have never owned more than one system of any given generation (started with a Super Nintendo some 20 years ago...). And I have never found myself facing a lack of games to play. When I was a kid, the only constraint was having enough pocket money to buy said games, and as an adult the only problem is having time to play those games that I could now afford.

Owning more systems would only torture me by making even more games available to me that I won't have the time to play! :D

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
PS4 for my home console and 3DS for mobile. Still play my PS3 though. No interest in the Xbox One or Wii U. Been considering buying the Vita not sure if its worth it.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Nintendo has to do something... they have their exclusives but it's really not enough. Their controller (at least for the Wii) along with the lower specs made it hard for companies to click the "port to Wii" button in Unreal/Unity/etc. Even when their default controller did work fine for the game that meant that anything made to utilize the extras of the controller often felt tacked on since it wouldn't work on the other consoles and PC. I think they had it when the Wii came out and pushed the Kinect/Move (neither of which I own or care to use) but unfortunately for Nintendo they really need to boost specs and ditch the Wii-mote... in which case why not just publish your Nintendo games on the PS4 or something at this point... I dunno. They make decent games and lead or at least kept up with consoles for a long time, but they need to do something drastic if they want to get back in I think. Unfortunately I think at this point 'drastic' means do close to what everyone else is doing.

They do have to do something but if they stopped making home consoles I would be very sad.

I just wish they never called it the bloody Wii U, as soon as they announced the name I thought "oh no". In fact, if any of you guys remember the E3 Wii U reveal, it was the most confusing thing I have ever seen.

Secondly, I wish they never went for a bland design for the box. It looks rubbish. What happened to designs like the Game Cube, N64 and Game Boy colour. Each time I looked at them they screamed "Play Me!" Sadly the Wii U looks almost as bad as the X bone.

If I were Nintendo, I would not give up on the Wii U just yet. I would redesign the console, add some crazy colours (Purple would be my choice. Oh or some see through hues. Like the N64 got). Then acompany the redesign with a HUGE marketing push.

Ultimately, the man on the street doesn't know that the Wii U is different to the Wii. Give him a reason to think about picking one up. Just a few thoughts, I wonder if Iwata reads the Macrumors forums?!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Currently I have a Wii and 360. I play both regularly.

I plan on picking up a Wii U in the spring and an Xbox One this fall. I doubt I'll ever pick up the PS4 so I'll never get the "tri-force" of this gen. I did have a PS3 for awhile so I had all three from the previous generation but I got rid of it as I never used it other than for some random blu-rays.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
More than likely I will eventually purchase the XboxOne but for now I'm satisfied with the PS3, Vita, WiiU and PS4. I'm not really feeling gaming like I did when the PS3/360 came out and have less time to game.

Bless

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012

I did exactly the same. Multi format on PS4 the others for exclusives.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
More than likely I will eventually purchase the XboxOne but for now I'm satisfied with the PS3, Vita, WiiU and PS4. I'm not really feeling gaming like I did when the PS3/360 came out and have less time to game.

Bless

Yep to be honest I don't have the time either and what I have likely just done is spread that time even further adding another system to the mix.

Just can't beat temptation sometimes.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Picking up an Xbox One next month with Titanfall, quite looking forward to it. We already have a machine in the house, but it's my brothers which is kept in his room and thus I've only used it once for five minutes to try Forza.

Really not inclined to pick up a Wii U yet though. Rationally I know it's inexpensive compared to the other two, and there are some solid games out. Maybe later in the year.

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Going gaming PC, Xbox one and 3DS this time around.

Gaming PC ill be building soon is mostly for indie games and MMO's. WoW, minecraft, rust, sims 4 and simcity. Im gonna keep a smaller form factor maybe even ITX and set it up in my entertainment center as if its a console.

Xbox One for everything else. Battlefield 4, COD, titanfall, AC4, etc.

3DS for my nintendo fix. Excited for smash bros and mario kart.

I had the wii U for almost 6 months. The conept was great, but the game library was almost non existant. I sold it and made most of my money back and bought the 3DS. I absolutely love my 3DS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.