Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew Ryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Is there a noticeable difference in performance?

Currently, the 2014 13" rPro with 256SSD/8G-RAM/i5 is going for 1527 w/tax where I live. This has the new Intel Iris Graphics.

However, there is a refurbished October 2012 13" rPro with 128 SSD/8G-RAM/i5 that is goes for 1157. It has the Intel HD Graphics 5000.

Obviously the difference is in Hard Drive Space and a new graphics card, but is the nearly 400 dollar difference worth it for a new model? I mean what programs would you have to use to really notice a difference between the two? Are the they same for the average user? Is there a big difference in programs like Final Cut? What about speed/processing?

I am torn on which one to get. I have settled on the 13" size, but the 12' seems like a good deal. I'm just not sure if the extra 400 is worth it for the graphics/SSD.

Help!

betaelmer

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
Wireless Network speed and Battery Life

For me, 802.1ac network speed helps me eliminate the need of using Gigabit Network. The transfer speed to my Synology NAS has been increased from 20MB/sec to 65GB/sec.

Also I believe the battery life is approximate 30% better on the new Macbook Pro.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
the 2012 model has the HD 4000 not 5000

I'd take the new 2013 model. it's just better in every aspect and iris is more than enough to drive the retina display. there have been many reports that the Hd 4000 struggled with that (don't know if it was software related and got fixed).

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
the 2012 model has the HD 4000 not 5000

I'd take the new 2013 model. it's just better in every aspect and iris is more than enough to drive the retina display. there have been many reports that the Hd 4000 struggled with that (don't know if it was software related and got fixed).

I'm not so sure about the Iris being enough to handle the retina display. I'm 4 days into using one and I notice a lot of "movement" on the screen almost as if it's being adjusted on the fly. It's subtle but it's there.

Not sure yet if it's enough to bother me or not.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The new graphics is much faster than the old one (which is HD 4000, not HD 5000). Both will run the display just fine.

The new PCIe storage is also much faster on paper, but really you'd be hard pressed to be able tell the difference in day-to-day use.

The important difference (to me) is the new one has better battery life.

Is $400 a lot to you? If so I would get the older one. Use the money you saved on AppleCare or perhaps an external drive (for both extra storage and to backup your data).

If it's less about money and more about just seeing if the new is worth it, in my opinion it's worth it.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I went from a max out 13" 2012 rMBP to a max out late (Haswell) 13" rMBP and so far the biggest improvement I see is on the cooling system. The Haswell runs a lot cooler, even when it has 1 single fan versus the 2 fans on the 2012. Also, the screen has more vivid colors, but that may be just luck in the screen (on the left is the 2012, on the right the 2013)

photo%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25282%2529.JPG

Last edited:

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I'm not so sure about the Iris being enough to handle the retina display. I'm 4 days into using one and I notice a lot of "movement" on the screen almost as if it's being adjusted on the fly. It's subtle but it's there.

Not sure yet if it's enough to bother me or not.

are you using it in best for retina or scaled resolution?

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
I have 2,4GHz/8GB/256GB and absolutely no lag. Are you sure your MBP is not defective?

I'm not sure of anything. Doesn't seem to have any other issues besides that. It's very minor, almost as if the screen is being drawn too slow. Hard to explain. At any rate doesn't really bother me. Has a few dead pixels also but that's not really a concern either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.