Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhp3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I have been through 2 USB hubs on my iMac and now the nMP. I have issues with freezing, not shutting down or even starting up. In windows they work fine.

Please, does anyone have a recommendation of the "perfect USB hub" for the nMP or a great history with one that is readily available?

Thanks!@!

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Not just for the nMP but us older tower users with the Orico and Inateck PCIe USB 3.0 add on cards have the identical Fresco (NEC) chipsets as the can. As the Inateck card was so good I've ordered a pair of Inateck 4 port hubs and a twin SATA docking station which will be landing shortly along with their 2 port card. I'll be testing them out if and when I get a chance later this week and posting my findings on the massive usb 3.0 thread on a Mac Pro here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1501482/

If you trawl through all that lot you'll probably find some other recommendations before I post my thoughts!

cbm

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I got this one. I've not had any issues with it, but I've only been using it since my nMP came a couple days ago. So far, so good.

vhp3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply, but it looks like most of the recommendations are for internal cards. Also, the one you mentioned is not sold in the US. I will investigate further on the thread.

----------

I got this one. I've not had any issues with it, but I've only been using it since my nMP came a couple days ago. So far, so good.

I may try this one. Seems to have really good reviews. Thanks!

Rock Hound

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
I got a HooToo USB 3.0 hub.
It has worked perfectly on my nMP.

The only thing to watch for is high-performance scanners like Nikon slide scanners. They do best with a low-traffic hub or a direct connection to the computer.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
After trying several USB hubs with my old Mac Pro, I just gave up. Hubs are pure junk especially if you are using them for gadgets that require power.

So I switched to Caldigit thunderbolt dock with three USB 3.0. It's much more expensive than a hub yes, but at least it works without any issues. No disconnects, no "low power" messages.

cbm

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
After trying several USB hubs with my old Mac Pro, I just gave up. Hubs are pure junk especially if you are using them for gadgets that require power.
There are good USB 2.0 hubs. For example, I have a couple of these Adaptec hubs, which have been totally solid for many years. They come with a beefy power supply, and I've never had a problem with devices that need power.

vhp3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008

I ended up purchasing this one. So far it's been 24 hours and I have not had any issues whatsoever. Everything works well. The only trouble I had is when I connected my Lacie 2 big usb raid drive. Once disconnected, it works well!!!! I hope it's a keeper. It sure looks like it though.

Thanks for all the help

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Guess I'll add to the pile --

I wanted a hub with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3, as I needed more USB ports and Apple dropped the Ethernet port on the latest MacBook Pro's.

This Vantec hub has worked well for me:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5763/vantec-3-port-usb-3-0-hub-w-gigabit-ethernet-review/index.html

The hub gives my MBP 1-cable plug-in access to Ethernet and multiple USB devices (document scanner, hard drive dock, flash drives), while leaving one USB 3 port on the laptop still free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.