Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoSole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I'm trying to restore a new device from a recent backup, and I want to reinstall PKGBackup. I already read the FAQ that says it's possible to use the old license on the new device, but doesn't do a very good job of explaining how! Here's what the FAQ says:

"Q. My device was replaced & I already purchased PkgBackup. Can I still use license on the new device?
R.Yes. Simply install PkgBackup again using the SAME credentials you’ve used when you were purchasing it the first time.
★ ‘Addressbook is your primary storage
Rename the 'Pkg_<LOTS_OF_CHARACTERS> BackUp' entry in your addressbook to:
- First name: Pkg
- Last name: BackUp.
★ ‘Dropbox’ is your primary storage
Login into your Dropbox account using a web browser. Go the directory ‘PKGBackup’ & find the directory that
has your old device UUID then rename it to your new device UUID."

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get it. How do I do this so I can use the license from my old phone (which I paid for) thereby allowing Cydia to recognize my new device as the old one?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Cydia uses your Google account or your Facebook account to track previous purchases, log into whichever you used previously (Cydia main page) and re-install PkgBackup.

You must also have a backup for the iOS that is on the new device (in other words you cannot use a backup made on iOS6 to reinstall the hacks on an iOS7 device)

NoSole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
You must also have a backup for the iOS that is on the new device (in other words you cannot use a backup made on iOS6 to reinstall the hacks on an iOS7 device)

First, thanks. That helps.

Second, wow... seriously?! IMO, that's a big drawback. So you're saying that you can only restore intragenerationally (i.e. 6.1 to 6.1.2), but not intergenerationally (i.e. 6.x to 7.x)? Is that due to (some) packages not being compatible with the new OS?

That's a bummer cuz my old device is 6.1 and the new one is 7.0.4

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
First, thanks. That helps.

Second, wow... seriously?! IMO, that's a big drawback. So you're saying that you can only restore intragenerationally (i.e. 6.1 to 6.1.2), but not intergenerationally (i.e. 6.x to 7.x)? Is that due to (some) packages not being compatible with the new OS?

That's a bummer cuz my old device is 6.1 and the new one is 7.0.4

Yep, doing a blanket install cannot be done since it takes developers some time to update their hacks to new firmware - assuming they even do update them, some never do.

NoSole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Yep, doing a blanket install cannot be done since it takes developers some time to update their hacks to new firmware - assuming they even do update them, some never do.

Copy that. So in theory, if I backup only the packages I know to be compatible with the new iOS, it could still work...?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Copy that. So in theory, if I backup only the packages I know to be compatible with the new iOS, it could still work...?

We'll, not exactly because some iOS7 compatible packages cannot be installed on iOS6 device therefore you are backing up the wrong version which will crash your new phone.

You know, there is nothing wrong with doing the initial set-up of your Cydia hacks manually on your new phone.

Last edited:

NoSole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
We'll, not exactly because some iOS7 compatible packages cannot be installed on iOS6 device therefore you are backing up the wrong version which will crash your new phone.

You know, there is nothing wrong with doing the initial set-up of your Cydia hacks manually on you new phone.

Yeah, and I think I will. I already did the legwork of noting the important tweaks, so I might as well. Was just trying to save some install time.

Thanks for the help, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.