Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hi,
I have a Late 2013 27" iMac without Fusion drive
What I want to do is open up my iMac (ACMT here :apple:) and put a flash drive inside the SSD slot on the Logic Board.
The question is, will a Retina MBP flash drive fit fine? if not, is there a place to purchase such drive?
I tore apart a few of these iMacs but still haven't figured out if it's possible or not.

Thanks!!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Hi,
I have a Late 2013 27" iMac without Fusion drive
What I want to do is open up my iMac (ACMT here :apple:) and put a flash drive inside the SSD slot on the Logic Board.
The question is, will a Retina MBP flash drive fit fine? if not, is there a place to purchase such drive?
I tore apart a few of these iMacs but still haven't figured out if it's possible or not.

Thanks!!

It will work fine, you can actually use MBA & rMBP PCIe SSD's (the 2012 used different models, but the late 2013 models all use the same 'blade SSD') Ebay is good place to find one.

Keep in mind, unless you specifically use a 128gb SSD with a HDD from Apple, any larger SSD with a 3.5" HDD will trigger a higher fan speed that AFAIK cannot be brought down to 1200 rpm (which is the stock quiet speed), it tried multiple apps and they can't bring the fan speed down. IMHO 1600-1800 rpm is annoying in my room. If you don't use a HDD or use a 2.5" HDD or SSD in the regular HDD location you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.