Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Replaces Hotel Room Keys in New Pilot Program

Starwood Hotels & Resorts is implementing a new pilot program that will see two key hotel locations in Manhattan and Silicon Valley allowing guests to enter their rooms with their smartphones, reports The Wall Street Journal.

After installing the Starwood Preferred Guest (SGP) App, guests will receive a virtual key on their iPhone, which can then be used to unlock a door with a tap using Bluetooth 4.0. The newer Bluetooth specification, first introduced with the iPhone 4s, has been used in a similar way for many home locking products like the Lockitron and the August Smart Lock, but this is the first time it's being used on a larger scale.

Starwood officials are betting that the technology will become the standard for hotels in the future, replacing traditional hotel check-in methods.
Quote:
"We believe this will become the new standard for how people will want to enter a hotel," says Frits van Paasschen, Starwood's CEO. "It may be a novelty at first, but we think it will become table stakes for managing a hotel."
Bluetooth 4.0 (or Bluetooth LE) is being utilized in a number of innovative ways. In addition to being installed in multiple different home locking products, it has also been used to replace traditional password logins on Macs through the Knock app and to deliver car diagnostics in the Automatic connected car device. Bluetooth 4.0 is also the driving technology behind Apple's iBeacons, which are rapidly being implemented in retail stores and other locations across the world to deliver location-based notifications.

Two Starwood Aloft hotels, in Harlem, New York and Cupertino, California, will be updated with the Bluetooth 4.0 technology during the first quarter of 2014. Starwood has plans to roll out the system at all of its locations by the end of 2015 should the pilot program be successful.

Article Link: iPhone Replaces Hotel Room Keys in New Pilot Program
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

SO COOL with the hand twist hahaha.
Z400Racer37 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:46 AM   #3
jc1350
macrumors 6502a

This is neat, but there are times where a plastic (waterproof) card key would still be "better." Great Wolf Lodge for example. But for general hotel use, this is very cool.

My family went to Walt Disney World this past summer and we used the new MagicBands. Very neat. Waterproof RFID that was room key, park ticket, and room charge card all in one. NO worries about leaving an unattended card or phone by the pool and such. It was also convenient in that we didn't have to fumble through pockets and bags looking for keys, tickets, etc.

Last edited by jc1350; Jan 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: adding more gibberish and such
jc1350 is online now   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:47 AM   #4
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Mmmm, table steaks...

gatearray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:51 AM   #5
ZOZO
Banned

Still can't find any Bluetooth LE keyboards. Imagine the battery life! I've been dreaming of one for some time now...
ZOZO is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G4

This is fun and all but eventually wearable tech is going to take over this job from smartphones. In fact, isn't the Disney thing mentioned above already a bracelet?

THIS is where the iWatch will be interesting...not emails on your wrist.
Small White Car is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:53 AM   #7
mainer4101
macrumors member

I like it. Still would prefer a standard key to hold on to anyway just in case my battery dies or I'm on the phone while I'm walking to my room, but I think this is a cool concept and similar uses will likely become more popular in years to come.
mainer4101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:53 AM   #8
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

I think using a phone just opens up so many problems:

1)Most people have a phone...some are App developers...what's stopping them from writing a program to scan and open any door?

2)Plastic cards that have been in use for decades are quite nice...can be out in the sun, water, wallet, etc. Not so much with a phone.

3)Phone out of juice or simply having issues? Have fun.

4)Expanding on #1, the current plastic card systems are proprietary technology and would be far, far less people that have access to the system to hack/break a card/door.

I'm still unclear why a phone (regardless of manufacturer) still has to do 1,000,000 things MORE than a phone. Relying on "the phone" to do everything in your life is...um...that old "all your eggs in 1 basket" mentality.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:53 AM   #9
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

We diversify our portfolios.

Why don't we (I do) diversify our data? Reliance upon one technology or provider gives unfettered access to our lives.

I'm soooo okay with a room keycard. It's simple to use. Not tied to google, FB, Apple. Worst case, if I lose it, I hit up the front desk.

Consolidation isn't always the best path.
FrizzleFryBen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:56 AM   #10
FailedMuso
macrumors newbie

This has been done already, and implemented far better...

https://www.assaabloy.com/en/com/Pro...mobile-access/

This uses NFC and is supported by an infrastructure created by companies already trusted in the secure access and identity industry (HID Global and Assa Abloy).

http://youtu.be/KLEoF8wwAKA

Of course, Apple haven't implemented NFC (as yet) and more than likely won't, which is a shame
FailedMuso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post

1)Most people have a phone...some are App developers...what's stopping them from writing a program to scan and open any door?

2)Plastic cards that have been in use for decades are quite nice...can be out in the sun, water, wallet, etc. Not so much with a phone.

4)Expanding on #1, the current plastic card systems are proprietary technology and would be far, far less people that have access to the system to hack/break a card/door.

I'm still unclear why a phone (regardless of manufacturer) still has to do 1,000,000 things MORE than a phone. Relying on "the phone" to do everything in your life is...um...that old "all your eggs in 1 basket" mentality.

As a frequent traveler, I appreciate not having to stand in line to check in/out. Some hotels have installed kiosks where you can use your credit card and get your card key much quicker. But even better, is this, like a self check in for the airline. Just check in enroute to the hotel, and when you get there you already know your room number. The problem is getting in the room. The only way to do so without waiting at a kiosk or front desk is this. I like it. But sure, let make it secure so that folks dont abuse.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:59 AM   #12
captain cadet
macrumors regular

Running android? Good luck getting into your room! Seems like a hotel apple would own!
captain cadet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:01 PM   #13
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

i agree that this is awesome and will def use it, but i also enjoy just going down to the pool or beach without bringing anything with me except a plastic room key that i can keep in my pocket.

maybe iPhone 6 will be waterproof
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:09 PM   #14
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
Running android? Good luck getting into your room! Seems like a hotel apple would own!
Did you read the article?

"The company says the iPhone 4s or newer models and the Android phones running 4.3 or newer will be compatible"
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:15 PM   #15
SethBoy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post

"The company says the iPhone 4s or newer models and the Android phones running 4.3 or newer will be compatible"
This is what I really dislike about some Apple sites when they report about iPhone news: it always seem to read as if it’s an iOS/iPhone exclusive feature/app when it’s also available for Android.

My impression is that MacRumors and TouchArcade are particularly fond of replacing the word “smartphone” with “iPhone”.
SethBoy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:15 PM   #16
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:

In regards to number 3:
You could always use it on your 5th gen iPod Touch if it's just BT 4.0.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Berserker-UK
macrumors member

Just make sure you can unlock your phone and launch their app after your long night in the bar. Wouldn't want an embarrassing situation in the hotel corridor now, would we?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:17 PM   #18
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
This is fun and all but eventually wearable tech is going to take over this job from smartphones. In fact, isn't the Disney thing mentioned above already a bracelet?

THIS is where the iWatch will be interesting...not emails on your wrist.
Yup, this is a motivation to wear a watch again. Between secure entry to buildings and secure payments at merchants... all in a wrist-worn device. So cool.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:19 PM   #19
mondayriot
macrumors newbie

If this will turn me into a smug bitch like in the advert, count me in.
mondayriot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 PM   #20
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
This is neat, but there are times where a plastic (waterproof) card key would still be "better." Great Wolf Lodge for example. But for general hotel use, this is very cool.

My family went to Walt Disney World this past summer and we used the new MagicBands. Very neat. Waterproof RFID that was room key, park ticket, and room charge card all in one. NO worries about leaving an unattended card or phone by the pool and such. It was also convenient in that we didn't have to fumble through pockets and bags looking for keys, tickets, etc.
More than waterproof... what if your cellphone is out of charge and nearest charger is IN your room O_O

I was just there for Dopey Challenge, the wristband was absolutely fantastic as you outlined.

Still... It is a consumable item. Integration with an iPhone BTLE would reduce waste. Part of me would prefer that...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Komrad808
macrumors member

Soon we will each have a chip in our body that will replace this program, where this world will be like the movie "Demolition Man".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6701035eff1eb00cbaa41f2b759549e8_4597.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	458458  
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:23 PM   #22
latsyrhc
macrumors member

very cool. i've already stayed at a hotel where ipads control the lights/tv/air conditioning in the room and you can order room services from it.
latsyrhc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:24 PM   #23
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
More than waterproof... what if your cellphone is out of charge and nearest charger is IN your room O_O
What if you forgot your key in the room and locked yourself out.

Both problems have the same low-tech solution which involves walking to the reception
gnasher729 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain cadet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.gomez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethBoy View Post
This is what I really dislike about some Apple sites when they report about iPhone news: it always seem to read as if it’s an iOS/iPhone exclusive feature/app when it’s also available for Android.

My impression is that MacRumors and TouchArcade are particularly fond of replacing the word “smartphone” with “iPhone”.
From Google.

Code:
Version	Codename	API	Distribution
2.2	Froyo	8	1.3%
2.3.3 -
2.3.7	Gingerbread	10	21.2%
3.2	Honeycomb	13	0.1%
4.0.3 -
4.0.4	Ice Cream Sandwich	15	16.9%
4.1.x	Jelly Bean	16	35.9%
4.2.x	17	15.4%
4.3	18	7.8%
4.4	KitKat	19	1.4%
Only 9.2% of Android users are on 4.3 or higher.

Considering such a small minority of Android users are using up-to-date devices + this being a MacRumors site. I think it's A-OK to exclude Android.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:25 PM   #25
KazKam
macrumors member

Quote:

You've fallen into the trap that most tech pundits fell into when the iPhone was released... The iPhone isn't a phone. It's a pocket-sized computer that happens to be able to make phone calls.
KazKam is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion