Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following approximately four-and-a-half months of availability, iOS 7 is now installed on 80 percent of devices connected to the App Store, according to the newest numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

ios7adoption.jpg
As iOS 7 adoption numbers grow, iOS 6 usage continues to drop, and the older operating system is now installed on just 17 percent of devices. Three percent of devices also continue use even older versions of iOS.

In early December, iOS 7 usage was at 74 percent, jumping to 78 percent later in December, while iOS 6 usage first declined to 22 percent and then to 18 percent.

Apple's data, which comes directly from the App Store, represents the most accurate iOS 7 adoption information for developers.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Put iOS 7 Adoption at 80%

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
My iPad 1 is still on 5.11. And since it can't be updated it will continue to 'drag down' this statistic "forever" : )
Would be interesting to see a version of the chart "minus non iOS7 capable devices".

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
my ipad two is on 6 and shall remain there at least until 7.1, if not permanently. I despise the iOS 7 asthetic, but the functionality advantages are so undeniable that I upgraded my phone right away. I see less of a functionality advantage and more of a speed hit on the ipad.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
I just wonder how many people are actually happy with their upgrade. Anyone I've met who likes it can never give me specifics, which makes me think they either don't use their devices much, or ignore the inconveniences and horrible look of the OS in general.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I just wonder how many people are actually happy with their upgrade. Anyone I've met who likes it can never give me specifics, which makes me think they either don't use their devices much, or ignore the inconveniences and horrible look of the OS in general.

It's only your opinion that it looks horrible. I personally love the new look!

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
The numbers don't say how many wish they never did.

I wish I could go back. This is the buggiest release yet.

My IMAP email is still broken :(

----------

It's only your opinion that it looks horrible. I personally love the new look!

I agree the colors are awful. I'm glad they will be toning them done on the next release.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Probably cause of that jailbreak :p

But I like what someone on twitter said. They see the constant chaning of iOS as uncertainty and that they might not have a direction of where they are going with iOS 7. While I'm sure they have an end goal, they seem pretty scattered in its implementation.

mirko.meschini

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Italy
I'm one of the 17% with an iPhone 5. I'm waiting for 7.1, too many bugs and slow animations on 7.0.x. I hope it will be relased soon..

macschrottpro

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
...as representive as the stock market

If people were able to downgrade, these numbers could actually represent something !

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
If people were able to downgrade, these numbers could actually represent something !

Still not a huge fan of the scheme but I actually quite like iOS 7 now. Setting the increase contrast makes a big difference to the look, I hated all the colours before.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I know some of those 17%ers ;)

Me too! My father is still happy using his iPhone 3GS running some ancient version (ancient = anything before iOS 7 :D). I also have a friend that has an iPad 1 running another ancient version. I suspect that we are getting close to the point that until the older devices are shut down and replaced we will continue to have a small percentage of non iOS 7 in the stats. In other words, I suspect that anything above 80% is a device being replaced.

Max Lee

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Ontario
Numbers like this are a complete joke.

My ipod touch 2nd gen gets used every single day. Apple intentionally cut off support at version 4. Since it can no longer update or download apps etc, it "disappears" off the charts, and doesn't get counted in the 20%.

There are millions, if not tens of millions of devices like this, massively under-representing the "not 7" models in use.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Did you ever consider that that is just your opinion. Oh no, you can definitively say that people don't understand why they are happy with the upgrade because you think there are inconveniences and a "horrible look."

Whereas on the flip side, MY opinion is that I experience no more inconveniences than previous versions, and that the new design is thoughtfully well-designed and progressive (which leads to divisiveness, as anything radically new does).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Numbers like this are a complete joke.

My ipod touch 2nd gen gets used every single day. Apple intentionally cut off support at version 4. Since it can no longer update or download apps etc, it "disappears" off the charts, and doesn't get counted in the 20%.

There are millions, if not tens of millions of devices like this, massively under-representing the "not 7" models in use.

1) Android measures their adoption rate the same way.
2) You are massively over-valuing the number of devices stuck on iOS4. They are probably fractions of a percent of all iOS devices sold.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

I like iOS 7 and will give reasons. I really like the white clean, flat feel after years of felt, stitching and wood that made the phone feel over busy and fussy. Functions are now far easier to access including the addition of Control Centre.

The thing I like the most however is the colour palette. vibrant, bright and modern. You don't like it and that's fine but do not denounce it for everyone. I like it and am enjoying it. iOS 8 I hope takes on a white black and orange theme. that would look nice. but again personal opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.