Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I wonder if Apple would consider going into the gaming industry based off the success of the iPod. It seems to me that Microsoft is in the game industry but also at the same time making a multimedia console. In my opinion, this would be interesting for, for some unknown reason I consider nintendo,apple, and toyota to be similar in the fact all make quality products and the last forever. If apple were to do this, it may just pry me off my loyalty to nintendo lol. What do you guys think?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I would love to see it but I doubt it would ever happen. One of the main reasons I would like to see it is just to see how Apple would go about making a console.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Maybe apple should just start with a killer mac computer game. As one of the things that most people i talk to don't like about mac is the lack of games. Yes there is some but not all the ones they want. If apple were to make something as big as halo it may help change some peoples minds.:rolleyes:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I feel like Apple has been neglecting their computers lately. Their last few updates have been marginal at best. There even seem to be more problems with computers than ever before. People had problems with the last OS X update.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but I wish they would they would spend time on what they are known to be good at.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
grapes911 said:
I feel like Apple has been neglecting their computers lately. Their last few updates have been marginal at best. There even seem to be more problems with computers than ever before.

Unfortunately, the lackluster updates I think are mostly a result of the lack of progress from Freescale, and to a lesser extent, IBM. I think we'll see some awesome things coming from Apple once the transition to Intel is complete.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
aquajet said:
Unfortunately, the lackluster updates I think are mostly a result of the lack of progress from Freescale, and to a lesser extent, IBM. I think we'll see some awesome things coming from Apple once the transition to Intel is complete.
I agree. And if Apple gets back on track, I'd love them to attempt a video game system. If they continue to muddle through with things as they are, I hope they stay away from anything new such as a console.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it would be interesting to see what they could come up with in terms of a console. but i'd rather they focus on improving what they have right now. and perhaps expanding thier computer range with more accessories.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I think branching out into the video game industry would be a colossal mistake for Apple, which is finally gaining momentum(and profit) after years of losing ground. Entering the console wars would cost them $$(something MS can afford to lose, temporarily), and would be a huge uphill battle: OS X gets a few nominal scraps thrown at it in terms of game ports, so Apple's console would immediately be perceived negatively by the more serious gamers. Instead of throwing away all the profit they've made from the iPod and other sales by entering a hostile market, I'd rather see them invest it back into what should be their first priority: their computers.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Oh Apple can just have some 80's Atari type games included on the iPod or have some sort of download for a small fee available. :eek: ;) :)

Who needs a game console, when you have the iPod with photo and video. :p

2nyRiggz said:
i would love to see apple do this but i want them to focus on the computers 1st. they just might make a killing in the gaming world

Bless

If Apple does not care about gaming on the Macintosh platform since Steve Jobs has returned, then what makes you so sure that they will have changed they plan to regain market share and profits.

Hate to break it to your people, however Apple cares about creation based applications and has placed very little if any importance on gaming on the Macintosh platform.

Computers are far better for gaming than a console, and if Apple doesn't care for it on they platform then why even start with a console. :)

Verto said:
I think branching out into the video game industry would be a colossal mistake for Apple, which is finally gaining momentum(and profit) after years of losing ground. Entering the console wars would cost them $$(something MS can afford to lose, temporarily), and would be a huge uphill battle: OS X gets a few nominal scraps thrown at it in terms of game ports, so Apple's console would immediately be perceived negatively by the more serious gamers. Instead of throwing away all the profit they've made from the iPod and other sales by entering a hostile market, I'd rather see them invest it back into what should be their first priority: their computers.

The only way, Apple will even consider entering the gaming market is via the iPod and Mac Mini. And we all know that the GPU in the Mac Mini is not up to it. Hopefully that will change with x86, however I do not see it as such. Eventually when you have done music, photo, video, there is one last place to conquer and that is some amateur form of gaming without being a GPU/CPU hog.

It will only happen once FrontRow is ready. And do not expect anything grand either. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.