Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Video Shows 'iOS in the Car' Functionality from iOS 7.0.3 in Action

Last week, app developer Steven Troughton-Smith shared a series of screenshots of what seemed to be Apple's "iOS in the Car" feature announced by Apple as "coming soon" to iOS 7 devices. The feature is intended to allow an iOS device to take over the in-dash display of a car, providing access to navigation, phone functions, messages, and music.

Troughton-Smith has now posted a video showing iOS in the Car in action, via a barebones implementation that is actually present in the already released iOS 7.0.3 but not accessible by default. The video shows the feature being run in the iOS Simulator software for developers, with the in-dash display represented by a separate 800x480 window.

In notes posted alongside the video, Troughton-Smith points out that the iOS in the Car feature supports multiple resolutions of external displays, touch input and hardware controls, and voice input.
Quote:
- Supports Multiple Resolutions
- Supports touchscreens (presumably single-touch?), hardware buttons, wheels and touchpads
- Does not support multitasking - car display will always show same current on-screen app as iPhone (which can be locked/asleep)
- Whitelisted to specific Apple apps - no public API for developers [yet?]
- Has no keyboard UI - voice recognition as input
- UI clearly subject to change
- Missing functionality in video is due to iOS Simulator not containing all the stock iOS apps
iOS in the Car from iOS 7.1 (Source: Twitter)
Troughton-Smith does also point out that the user interface is subject to change, and while the demo shown in the video resembles the screenshots shown on Apple's site, his earlier screenshots and a Twitter response indicate that the overall look has indeed seen a redesign for iOS 7.1, bringing more of the blue text and overall feel of iOS 7 to the in-vehicle display.

Article Link: New Video Shows 'iOS in the Car' Functionality from iOS 7.0.3 in Action
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:38 AM   #2
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to using this with my AppRadio 3. Already do stuff along these lines with it but an integrated implementation will be nice too.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Pankik
macrumors newbie

Looks good,
Pankik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Derekeys
macrumors member

Time to go buy a new car...
Derekeys is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #5
BklynKid
macrumors 65816

As someone who takes mass transit and doesn't even own a car: this (and Apple Maps in general) is completely useless to me.
BklynKid is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #6
JS77
macrumors regular

iCar in 2020
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #7
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Looks awesome. Is Smith violating some sort of NDA though?
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Lapidus
macrumors regular

Wish we could integrate this in cars that will not support iOS in the car.
Lapidus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:41 AM   #9
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Main question I have is how this can be retrofit to those ancient, rusty, 2013 and 2014 vehicles out there that have in dash screens but no iOS goodness Wondering if I'll have to add an aftermarket video input and an Apple TV otherwise.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:44 AM   #10
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Car touch screens (and decks) are so awful. I have been wanting apple to do this for so long. Any deck you buy looks likes it's from 1990 still. The software is clunky and not intuitive.

I hope Apple will sell separate decks that can be installed, but I highly doubt it.
zedsdead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekeys View Post
Show me a new car with this feature?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
Car touch screens (and decks) are so awful. I have been wanting apple to do this for so long. Any deck you buy looks likes it's from 1990 still. The software is clunky and not intuitive.

I hope Apple will sell separate decks that can be installed, but I highly doubt it.
Apple will not. But others will. Pioneer (and I think Kenwood) have noted they are working on it.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:46 AM   #12
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapidus View Post
Wish we could integrate this in cars that will not support iOS in the car.
hopefully apple sells a stand alone device that can be added to cars!
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:48 AM   #13
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post

----------

Apple will not. But others will. Pioneer (and I think Kenwood) have noted they are working on it.
I hope so, but Apple has been so mum on this feature it is getting annoying. They announced it, and it would have been nice to have some info. Maybe at WWDC.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:52 AM   #14
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post

----------

Vauxhall Adam
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:56 AM   #15
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekeys View Post
It's funny. Of all the reasons to get a new car, a new in-dash experience wasn't something I contemplated until this. I figure I have 3 more years in my current ride so by then the in-car interface for this should be more or less ubiquitous.

It never made sense to bake so much tech directly into cars as it was outmoded almost instantly and next to impossible to update (best case: a costly new maps dvd), so transferring the brains to an iOS device with the car serving as a dumb terminal makes a ton of sense.

That said, they'll still have to put some tech in the car for those times you forget your iPhone, or *gasp* if you don't own one.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:57 AM   #16
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post
Main question I have is how this can be retrofit to those ancient, rusty, 2013 and 2014 vehicles out there that have in dash screens but no iOS goodness Wondering if I'll have to add an aftermarket video input and an Apple TV otherwise.
Maybe some of those aftermarket in dash DVD player with the flip out/up screens would make this. It could replace your stereo and stock GPS with a touch screen that is in concert with your iPhone.

Look up an address on the phone. Get in the car and it is ready to navigate to your last found destination. I was hoping something like that could have worked with existing Garmin GPS'.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Sky Blue

I wonder of there will be in event in March to demo this and announce the new Apple TV?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:07 AM   #18
jarred125
macrumors regular

Have they actually improved maps well enough to make someone want to use it to navigate?

The last time I used it (just a couple months ago) it took me several miles away from the location I intended to arrive at. A GPS isn't worth a penny if it doesn't actually give proper directions.
jarred125 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:08 AM   #19
iamtrip
macrumors newbie

I wonder why they chose "Kiev" as the city in the screenshots. And why pick that particular route. It seems needlessly political....
iamtrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:10 AM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynKid View Post
As someone who takes mass transit and doesn't even own a car: this (and Apple Maps in general) is completely useless to me.
I'm guessing you have to be in NYC, because I can't think of any other city on earth where you'd really think you can live your entire life in the single city. I do 95+% of my traveling by public transit, but I still own a car for when I want to go someplace that the transit system doesn't go, or I want to go there at a time when it doesn't.

My car obviously doesn't support iOS in the car, but maybe I'll spring for it in my next car (probably at least 3 years away... My current car is still running quite well.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:12 AM   #21
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Is it me or does the iOS in the Car actually looks better than the iOS 7's design? I prefer the dark transparent bar with the white/blue-ish textual buttons there than the current ugly blue on white.
MikhailT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:13 AM   #22
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

This is 100% coming. iOS for a car's dash display interface is an absolute function I want in my next vehicle.
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:14 AM   #23
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarred125 View Post
Have they actually improved maps well enough to make someone want to use it to navigate?

Its not perfect, but more accurate in my testing than Google.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:16 AM   #24
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
As was your post to me. If everyone chimed in about how irrelevant stuff was useless to them this forum would be worthless. Thankfully not everyone does that.
brand is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:17 AM   #25
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
+1

The true efficient, affordable, and convenient mode of transportation.
osx11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion