Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hi

Sorry i'm new to OSX Server and need a little advise on backups.
I've created the backup folder and connected my macbook pro to it and can see the backup.

The server is is a Mac mini which I also use as a media server.
I can't connect the server to the backup folder or see it in the back up list.
The only think I can see is the main media drive where it created a backups.backupsdb folder.

Any way to do this?
My main issue is i'm using my media drive and i want to limit the size of the server backup so it does not use all the space on the drive.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I think you need to choose eat drive the server uses or something like that...

How would one go and restore from a TM that is on a server, lets say when you boot from install media?

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Time Machine works against a drive/partition, and is not designed to use a "folder" specified by the user. This is why you are seeing the drive only in the available locations list.

What you need to do is create a partition of your media drive to be used for time machine. OR - add another external drive to your server for this purpose - OR - use a time capsule server, (3 options, published from a MacOSX server, an actual time machine device, or a drive connected to an airport extreme)

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Time Machine works against a drive/partition, and is not designed to use a "folder" specified by the user. This is why you are seeing the drive only in the available locations list.

What you need to do is create a partition of your media drive to be used for time machine. OR - add another external drive to your server for this purpose - OR - use a time capsule server, (3 options, published from a MacOSX server, an actual time machine device, or a drive connected to an airport extreme)

Its interesting that another mac will work to a folder specified on an external drive, but the actual server mac won't....

And you can't get another mac to use the same folders the server.
I guess apple think people will only use it as a server rather than say server for other macs and HPTC

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Time machine is working great on my system.

My Setup
OS Mini Server with 6 External HDs. One #Tb HD is dedicated as a time machine drive. That drive backs up 2 MacBooks pro and the server. All working flawlessly.

I think the key is having a drive (or partition) dedicated to time machine.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Its interesting that another mac will work to a folder specified on an external drive, but the actual server mac won't....

That has not been my experience for macs at any time. They have always created their own backup folders at the root of the device specified for time machine.

noremacyug

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2014
i just ran into the same issue as the op. i just picked up a mac mini yesterday for htpc duties (via plex) and then a few programs/services to run in the background. i went ahead and purchased osx server, mainly for the time machine functionality. i was able to set that up and backup my macbook air with no problems to a folder i designated on the internal drive of the mini. however, i was surprised to see that i couldn't backup the mini to its own internal hdd. i though i could do this on my mba, but perhaps i'm getting my os's mixed up and thinking of windows backup service. either way, kinda bummed, but then i'll probably just get a few usb drives and designate one for time machine as a previous poster mentioned. all in all though, i'm superbly happy with the mac ecosystem which i've recently adopted. no more windows for me if i can help it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.