Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Justice Department Skeptical About Sprint Acquisition of T-Mobile

Back in December, it was reported that Sprint -- the U.S.'s third-largest cell carrier -- was preparing a bid to acquire T-Mobile, the country's fourth-largest carrier. The deal, depending on the stake Sprint attempts to buy, could be worth more than $20 billion.

Recently, a pair of Sprint board members met with the U.S. Department of Justice to discuss a possible acquisition, reports The Wall Street Journal. The report says the DoJ has concerns over a potential deal.
Quote:
The conversation, which occurred in January, signals the seriousness of Mr. Son's interest in a deal, but also underscores his highest hurdle. U.S. antitrust authorities believe the current lineup of four national carriers is important to maintaining a competitive market, and department officials indicated at the meeting that a deal combining Sprint and T-Mobile could face regulatory difficulties, the people said
According to the WSJ, Sprint has lined up roughly $31 billion in potential financing and the company is not deterred from pursuing an acquisition.

Japanese carrier Softbank purchased a 70 percent controlling interest in Sprint back in 2012 for roughly $20 billion. T-Mobile is majority owned by German telecom giant Deutsche Telekom.

Previously, AT&T attempted to acquire T-Mobile but government intervention prevented the deal from concluding. Since then, the companies have had a growing feud as they launch ever escalating marketing efforts in an attempt to poach each other's customers.

Article Link: Justice Department Skeptical About Sprint Acquisition of T-Mobile
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:08 PM   #2
kazmac
macrumors 65816

Good

4 companies are better than three. And I'd hate to see Sprint get T-Mobile.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:11 PM   #3
powerstrokin
macrumors 6502

I hope a deal can be reached!
powerstrokin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:12 PM   #4
1080p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin View Post
You like high priced wireless service?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:12 PM   #5
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

We need as many as companies as possible. All these acquisitions of bigger companies eating up these little companies isn't leaveing much of a choice for consumers.

This country doesn't need a single Monoply for wireless service.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin View Post
I'm wondering why?

Do you feel that it would benefit the consumer to have reduced competition?

What advantage would be conferred to consumers, or to the companies, by the buy out?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:15 PM   #7
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Sprint has shown time and time again how incompetent they are. T-Mobile is actually doing well and growing at an extremely fast rate. Would hate to see Sprint get ahold of T-Mobile.

AT&T and Sprint would not be doing some of the things they are doing right now if it were not for T-Mobile's Uncarrier. Verizon will probably follow up soon with something.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Shut up, Sprint!

So Sprint cried like a baby when AT&T was to accuire T-Mo, and now they want to accuire T-Mo themselves?

Also, how many incompatible technolgies can Sprint take?

First they accuired Nextell which cost them billions of dollars in loses, then they accuire ClearWire (again, after letting go of it) and they kill it and will be phasing out its WiMax, and now a GSM carrier? Are you kidding me?
Tiger8 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:21 PM   #9
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post

First they accuired Nextell which cost them billions of dollars in loses, then they accuire ClearWire (again, after letting go of it) and they kill it and will be phasing out its WiMax, and now a GSM carrier? Are you kidding me?
That's Sprint for you.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:25 PM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
There are two ways to look at this:

Way #1: We currently have four major national carriers. If Sprint buys T-Mobile, we'll only have three.

Way #2: We currently have two major and two minor national carriers. If Sprint buys T-Mobile, we'll have three major national carriers.

AT&T and Verizon are each much larger than Sprint and T-Mobile - I see this as way #2. The question becomes, will Sprint/T-Mobile continue trying as hard to get an edge on AT&T/T-Mobile? I think so. In fact, I think they may even try harder, by pooling their resources together. They'll take the best of each of their plans and put them together to have a plan superior to what either of them have now and leagues better than what AT&T or Verizon has.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:25 PM   #11
DJsteveSD
macrumors member

The justice dept doesn't like this merger but they let the AA/US Air one go through. hello higher airline tickets!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmac View Post
4 companies are better than three. And I'd hate to see Sprint get T-Mobile.
The parent company wants to get rid of T-Mobile. It's probably either Sprint or T-Mobile will just break up the company and sell the bandwidth to the big 3. The DoJ can't force the parent company to keep and run T-Mobile if they don't want to especially if the DoJ vetoes anyone who wants to buy it. T-Mobile is going away one way or another. It's just a matter of how and when.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:40 PM   #13
R0bert
macrumors member

Apple should buy Sprint. It would allow them to innovate at the network layer.
It's only $35B so they should grab it.
R0bert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:54 PM   #14
SoAnyway
macrumors regular

Good. This is exactly why regulation is a good thing because it create competition.

The more companies there are in the market, the better for us consumers.
SoAnyway is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Rocco83
macrumors regular

If you can't beat it, you buy it.
Rocco83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:57 PM   #16
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

If anything I would hate to see tmobile go from a GSM to a CDMA carrier if acquire by sprint and the more expensive plans.
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Solomani
macrumors 65816

To imply that "Sprint plans to acquire T-Mobile" is misleading at best.

In reality, it is the gigantic Japanese mega-corporation Softbank (which also owns much of Sprint) that wishes to acquire T-Mobile USA.

By implying the former, Softbank is trying to make this look like an "innocent merger" between 2 small fry carriers, and they are hoping that this is how the US Courts perceive this acquisition.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:39 PM   #18
koban4max
macrumors 65816

it doesn't matter if one takes over another company. If all companies are going to sell plans similar to each other..it wouldn't make much difference in who is cheaper or better.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:58 PM   #19
RiddlaBronc
macrumors regular

I hope Sprint gets f-mobile. All the customers win.
RiddlaBronc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:58 PM   #20
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
There are two ways to look at this:

Way #1: We currently have four major national carriers. If Sprint buys T-Mobile, we'll only have three.

Way #2: We currently have two major and two minor national carriers. If Sprint buys T-Mobile, we'll have three major national carriers.

AT&T and Verizon are each much larger than Sprint and T-Mobile - I see this as way #2. The question becomes, will Sprint/T-Mobile continue trying as hard to get an edge on AT&T/T-Mobile? I think so. In fact, I think they may even try harder, by pooling their resources together. They'll take the best of each of their plans and put them together to have a plan superior to what either of them have now and leagues better than what AT&T or Verizon has.
They run different networks. At some point a cohesive company has to decide on a direction. Let's build out the CDMA. No, no let's build out the GSM. They can't do both effectively. (maybe all world phones? hmmm) Sprint already screwed the pooch with their Nextel, non-compatible acquisition.

That plan squishing thing you're talking about? Sounds like you're trying to push something beneficial to the consumer. Leagues better sounds a little like less profitable. If the merged company can't find a way to make it profitable, it's dead in the water. The increased marketshare won't mean a thing without the corresponding profits. As we are infamous for touting on MR, "It's the profit that counts."
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:04 PM   #21
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsteveSD View Post
The justice dept doesn't like this merger but they let the AA/US Air one go through. hello higher airline tickets!
Well there has been four big airline mergers over the last five years already (Northwest-Delta, United-Continental, Southwest-AirTran, and now American-US Airways), and it has been part of the industrial trend over the last few years with so many carriers entering and leaving the market. Remember when AA-US merged they had to give up a large amount of slots in airports, and these slots will be used to make the smaller carriers stand a chance before these merged airlines.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddlaBronc View Post
I hope Sprint gets f-mobile. All the customers win.
Actually all the customers lose. On all the major US carriers.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:43 PM   #23
WallToWallMacs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
So Sprint cried like a baby when AT&T was to accuire T-Mo, and now they want to accuire T-Mo themselves?

It is SoftBank who is funding it which all comes down to frequency rights and mobile phone tower locations. If they put LTE on every tower along with back haul upgrades they would pretty much have all of the USA covered and combine that long term with pushing voice to VoIP via LTE they're positioning themselves for the future.
WallToWallMacs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:56 PM   #24
mj1108
macrumors 6502

Even more so than just there being 4 carrieres, the fact that T-Mobile is being a bit of a maverick in actually getting these companies to compete should be a hurdle. If T-Mobile got gobbled up, I'd be afraid of all of the uncarrier stuff going away.
mj1108 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:05 AM   #25
kenroberts83
macrumors newbie

Many of your opinions are overly simplistic and ill-informed. If more cell carriers were always better, then why not break AT&T and Verizon into several smaller companies? The reason should be obvious: because the resultant coverage would be horrendous.

We're in a similar situation with T-mobile and Sprint. If you don't live in a major city, you likely wouldn't consider using either carrier. Personally, I considered T-mobile's iPad promotion and then changed my mind after viewing the nearly non-existent coverage in my area (Omaha, NE).

A merged company *could* be better for consumers, if it allows Sprint to ultimately provide wider coverage and faster average speeds. I was actually excited about this merger, because it may enable me to consider a company other than the AT&T/Verizon duopoly.
kenroberts83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion