Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Automatic Connected Car System Update Adds iBeacon Functionality

The Automatic connected car system today received an over-the-air update that allows users to turn their Automatic Link hardware devices into iBeacons, reports TechCrunch. As iBeacons, Automatic devices let users transmit to or receive information from other sensors or devices in the vicinity.

First introduced in March of 2013, the Automatic hardware plugs into a car's onboard diagnostics (OBD) port and provides detailed data on driving habits and mileage within the Automatic app.

With the addition of iBeacon technology, Automatic could be a far more functional device in the future. While the iBeacon addition has no use at the present time, Automatic co-founder Thejo Kote says that it could be used to enable car-specific applications with a host of potential partners.
Quote:
Applying iBeacon technology to a vehicle could make it easier for people to pay for things like parking, or gas fill ups, for instance -- making the experience much better than it is today.

For right now, those types of applications are still theoretical, but Automatic is interested in seeing where it could go.
iBeacons, which have been growing in popularity over the last several months, use Bluetooth 4.0 to transmit data to nearby devices. This technology has been used within Apple Retail Stores to provide additional information on products, among other things.

In addition to iBeacon support for the Automatic hardware, the Automatic app was also updated today, adding event recording for external APIs and a number of bug fixes and improvements to the software.

Automatic can be purchased from the Automatic website for $99.95. The accompanying Automatic app is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Automatic Connected Car System Update Adds iBeacon Functionality
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

Been thinking about picking one of these up, they're a bit pricey.

Doesn't seem like the iBeacon feature does much at the moment?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:44 PM   #3
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Been thinking about picking one of these up, they're a bit pricey.

Doesn't seem like the iBeacon feature does much at the moment?
No, I don't think the iBeacon does much at all if anything, but the Automatic itself is pretty handy. We did a hands-on here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/09/...istant-system/
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Christian 5G
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Christian 5G
Automatic is pretty amazing, using it, just sometimes doesn't connect automatically .. But it's rare
Christian 5G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:06 PM   #5
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

I've been thinking about buying one of these. I should have pre-ordered one when they were $70.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:12 PM   #6
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

My partner got me one of these for Christmas. I love it! The best part is that the company is constantly updating this over the air using the IOS app, and it doesn't use very much data at all. That really enhances increased functionality. I recommend those on the fence to definitely get one!!
joeshmo2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:56 PM   #7
blackboxxx
macrumors member

This device would be much more appealing if it didn't upload all your vehicle details and location to the cloud (see their privacy policy, https://www.automatic.com/legal/#privacy) where NSA captures it and ingests into its massive databases (see recent Snowden revelations, http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/27/...y-iphone-apps/).

Now with iBeacon they get even more opportunities to track your car.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:19 PM   #8
macduke
macrumors 68020

I don't really think iBeacons is very useful here. Wouldn't the same thing work with your phone that you already have on you?

Now if it could be used to locate your car in a parking garage where GPS isn't available, then that would be cool. But with all the NSA data collection I think I'd only use this thing to run diagnostics on my car for short periods of time and check warning lights, etc.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:30 AM   #9
taxiapple
macrumors regular

$100??
taxiapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:48 AM   #10
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
My partner got me one of these for Christmas. I love it! The best part is that the company is constantly updating this over the air using the IOS app, and it doesn't use very much data at all. That really enhances increased functionality. I recommend those on the fence to definitely get one!!
I really hope it will be available in europe too
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:21 AM   #11
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

The more and more prevalent and all-encompassing electronics get, the more and more I'm appreciating aspects of my life that they're completely absent from.

Riding my racing bicycles w/o computers
Driving this old 55 Jaguar, a simple analog/mechanical machine, tunable by ear
Paddling my '37 Old Town canoe, no place for electronics whatsoever
Snowshoeing, Skiing, Swimming
etc etc etc

Feels good and free to leave the phone/camera/leash behind and just immerse yourself in the pleasure of the senses doing the thing.
ThunderSkunk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:40 AM   #12
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
No, I don't think the iBeacon does much at all if anything, but the Automatic itself is pretty handy. We did a hands-on here:

Ibeacon is the gateway to big data which means 0 limits.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:03 AM   #13
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Driving this old 55 Jaguar, a simple analog/mechanical machine, tunable by ear
Jags are known for many things, but driving isn't one of them. You know why the British drink warm beer? Lucas make their refrigerators.

Seriously, I'm with you. There is a pleasure to simple mechanical things that you can actually work on with wrenches and never need a computer.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:39 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
Ibeacon is the gateway to big data which means 0 limits.
Yes, the iBeacon concept is very creepy to me. I understand its conveniences, and that are phones already act as personal homing devices, but iBeacon just seems one step too far into the Brave New World.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:39 AM   #15
ipmasta
macrumors newbie

Cool Price of Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiapple View Post
$100??
$100 does seem like a bit - however I have one (I paid $70 because I funded it on kickstarted). It will read your check engine light and tell you what it means (The handheld computers that do this can easily cost $100 alone) and when you look at the other features like it uses the gps in your phone to tell you where your parked your car (If your like me and forgetful about those things) as well as alert you when you are heavy on the gas/break/and speeding. Which ultimately can save you money on gas. I like that it keeps a log of my trips and estimates my fuel economy and rates my driving. However I had to disable the sound for speeding since I often go 60 in a 55 which gets to be annoying after a while. Also since I am self employed its comes in handy if I forget to run my normal mileage log app and then can reference back to the automatic app to figure up mileage for tax purposes. To me its well worth it and I plan on buy one for my other vehicle as well.

Last edited by ipmasta; Jan 29, 2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
ipmasta is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:47 AM   #16
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

Been absolutely useless to me since I got it with the ONLY exception of reading diagnostic codes. Otherwise it's a novelty .
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:48 AM   #17
ipmasta
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxxx View Post
This device would be much more appealing if it didn't upload all your vehicle details and location to the cloud (see their privacy policy, https://www.automatic.com/legal/#privacy) where NSA captures it and ingests into its massive databases (see recent Snowden revelations, http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/27/...y-iphone-apps/).

Thanks, but no thanks.
When it comes down to it you should not use a cellphone if you don't want your info tracked by the government. It sucks but any electronic device you use that has a connection to the internet is likely being monitored.
ipmasta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:55 AM   #18
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Automatic has been a waste of money, and I managed to buy it when it was $50. It beeps at me every time i get on the highway, since 70mph is evidently "speeding".

That's all it seems to do - beep at you when you go 70mph.

I can't seem to dump the data. It doesn't offer me any other useful information that I don't already know, such as time spent at stoplights or something. You can't even monitor your current trip.

Now it has iBeacon? Super. My gas stations cannot even figure out how to put in a pump where the keypad works all the time, or have a daylight readable display. I doubt they'll put in iBeacon. In fact, I'd be completely satisfied if they did away with magnetic strip readers and pushed for chip&pin cards.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Yes, the iBeacon concept is very creepy to me. I understand its conveniences, and that are phones already act as personal homing devices, but iBeacon just seems one step too far into the Brave New World.
Just take some soma and settle down
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:29 AM   #20
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxxx View Post

Thanks, but no thanks.
iBeacon changed nothing regarding that, same as before.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post

They previously used a geo-fence hack in order to automatically reestablish link to phone app.

Now, instead of geo-fence hack, they use iBeacon to trigger link to phone app.

Edit: I reread news summary, its entirely misleading.

Last edited by Menel; Jan 29, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Menel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:32 AM   #21
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

Gads! I can see it now: Driving down the road. It's about 11:30. The area is loaded with fast food dumps. Your car endlessly prompts you to 'Pull in for a quick bite to eat at ______', 'Aren't you hungry for _____', 'Hey, Hungry? Stop in and try the _____ at _____. Just turn right, right now!'...

Yeah...

Just what I need.

A car with a fast food addiction...

Hopefully I'm mistaken on the 'future of this wonderful device'...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:40 AM   #22
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
Gads! I can see it now: Driving down the road. It's about 11:30. The area is loaded with fast food dumps. Your car endlessly prompts you to 'Pull in for a quick bite to eat at ______', 'Aren't you hungry for _____', 'Hey, Hungry? Stop in and try the _____ at _____. Just turn right, right now!'...

Yeah...

Just what I need.

A car with a fast food addiction...

Hopefully I'm mistaken on the 'future of this wonderful device'...
I think you are incredibly confused and uninformed... Try reading their website. It has nothing to do with Fastfood.

It does
1. Engine code deciphering
2. Marks last place you parked car
3. Monitors and logs mpg
4. Has alerts to encourage economical driving, which can be turned off.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:44 AM   #23
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

iBeacon isn't that attractive. Already do all the Automatic does and more with a $12 Bluetooth OBD-II.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:57 AM   #24
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipmasta View Post
It will read your check engine light and tell you what it means (The handheld computers that do this can easily cost $100 alone)
They can also cost under $20 for the same functionality. If that's all you want, this would be overpriced.

And if you want the mileage and speed checking, your insurance company will give you such a device for nothing, possibly reduce your insurance cost, even.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:57 AM   #25
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiapple View Post
$100??
I dunno. I've spent more on a dinner and movie date...
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion