Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Stock Prices of Japanese Suppliers Slip in Response to Apple's Earnings




Negative reactions to Apple's Q1 2014 earnings report extended overseas to Japanese component manufacturers, says Reuters. Suppliers such as Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Sharp and Nitto Denko saw their stock prices fall by as much as 3.9 percent following the release of Apple's quarterly financial results.


Stock prices of these Japanese suppliers are expected to rebound because of their broad client base, but Japanese analysts believe Apple will remain stagnant.
Quote:
"The company is unlikely to expect profit growth from now on as the iPhone market has been saturated," a fund manager at a Japanese asset management firm said. "In order to sell in China and emerging countries, the company needs to cut prices more aggressively, so there is also pressure on parts makers."
Despite these negative global projections, demand for Apple products in Japan remains strong. During Apple's earning conference call, Tim Cook said iPhone sales rose 40% in Japan, due to a new distribution deal with the country's largest mobile operator NTT Docomo.

Article Link: Stock Prices of Japanese Suppliers Slip in Response to Apple's Earnings
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:50 AM   #2
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Only 40%!? SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!!
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Gudi
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Stock prices of these Japanese suppliers are expected to rebound because of their broad client base, but Japanese analysts believe Apple will remain stagnant.
Sales aren't stagnant, profits are. „Apple sold a record 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million in the same time period last year.“ That's a 6.7% growth for an S-model iPhone. Slowing growth, but not market saturation.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:57 AM   #4
phinsup
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE Florida
The entire NIKKEI 225 was down 5% until this morning (recovered over 2%). That started Friday, I seriously doubt apple is dragging the exchange down.
phinsup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007


__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Frosty?Flake
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkthxbai View Post
Only 40%!? SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!!
And Samsung's profit and margins? Expectations on Apple are over the top, but they have made history. Incremental changes won't improve profits. Next new thing will
Frosty?Flake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:31 PM   #7
praetorian909
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Hmm I never knew Taiyo Yuden made things besides recordable disc media...
praetorian909 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:02 PM   #8
cthree87
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Pretty harsh reaction for a company with only 15% of the smartphone business
cthree87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:29 PM   #9
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty?Flake View Post
And Samsung's profit and margins? Expectations on Apple are over the top, but they have made history. Incremental changes won't improve profits. Next new thing will
People need to stop worrying about what Samsung does. If Samsung falls off the face of the earth another Android OEM will take its place. If Apple falls off that’s it; game over. People act as Android is a one trick pony.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian909 View Post

Hmm I never knew Taiyo Yuden made things besides recordable disc media...
Me either!

I've used Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for years... which are now being sold under the JVC brand name after Taiyo Yuden acquired JVC's media division.

I've never had a problem with TY media... and I burn about 500 discs every year!
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a
 
albusseverus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinsup View Post
The entire NIKKEI 225 was down 5% until this morning (recovered over 2%). That started Friday, I seriously doubt apple is dragging the exchange down.
I can't believe the line being pushed here, either. Apple beat their own guidance and didn't exceed their guidance by more ( "missed expectations" whateverthehell that means ) because it was unable to manufacture enough to meet demand.

If ANYTHING, this should mean higher orders for component suppliers to meet the higher demand!

So the reason GIVEN for these companies being punished by the markets, is clearly NOT THE TRUTH.

The main reason Wall St Journal has been publishing false negative articles and the Wall St market decimated Apple's stock price, has been because Wall St wants more of Apple's cash returned to shareholders.

There's a story being SOLD here, and it appears to be more of the same - markets (and their news outlets) will punish Apple and now its partners, if Apple doesn't return more money to shareholders.

The rest is smoke and mirrors, and as phinsup noted, the actual stock price moves are probably more related to the market as a whole, and not even suppliers actually being devalued at all!
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
Sales aren't stagnant, profits are. „Apple sold a record 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million in the same time period last year.“ That's a 6.7% growth for an S-model iPhone. Slowing growth, but not market saturation.
Unless the article was updated after you made your post, what you're implying is not what the article says. It wasn't about sales at all. It was about profit.

from article:
Stock prices of these Japanese suppliers are expected to rebound because of their broad client base, but Japanese analysts believe Apple will remain stagnant.
Quote:
"The company is unlikely to expect profit growth from now on as the iPhone market has been saturated," a fund manager at a Japanese asset management firm said..."


Stagnant profits, not sales.
__________________
I own products from Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, and a ton of other companies. All of it works and does exactly what I want it to do. Personal use case. Nothing else matters.
69Mustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Gudi
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
Unless the article was updated after you made your post, what you're implying is not what the article says. It wasn't about sales at all. It was about profit.
„The Company sold 51 million iPhones, an all-time quarterly record, compared to 47.8 million in the year-ago quarter.“

Suppliers shouldn't care about how much profit Apple makes, because they get paid on a per device basis. From a suppliers perspective, Apples quarter wasn't stagnant. They sold 3.2 million more phones than last year.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:47 PM   #14
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
„The Company sold 51 million iPhones, an all-time quarterly record, compared to 47.8 million in the year-ago quarter.“

Suppliers shouldn't care about how much profit Apple makes, because they get paid on a per device basis. From a suppliers perspective, Apples quarter wasn't stagnant. They sold 3.2 million more phones than last year.
I'm sorry. You are still forwarding a narrative unrelated to the topic of the article. The article is about the stock prices of the suppliers. Apple selling 51 million phones has nothing to do with anything. The suppliers stock prices slipped because Apple's profit has been flat. This is about how the flat profit of Apple has affected the stock prices of other companies. Not phone sales, not component sales, just a story about stock prices.
__________________
I own products from Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, and a ton of other companies. All of it works and does exactly what I want it to do. Personal use case. Nothing else matters.
69Mustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:52 AM   #15
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinsup View Post
The entire NIKKEI 225 was down 5% until this morning (recovered over 2%). That started Friday, I seriously doubt apple is dragging the exchange down.
Welcome to the world of incomplete reporting.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Gudi
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
The suppliers stock prices slipped because Apple's profit has been flat. This is about how the flat profit of Apple has affected the stock prices of other companies.
That is just what some clueless analyst is alleging. Meanwhile in reality supplier success is tied to unit sales not profits.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 01:03 PM   #17
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
That is just what some clueless analyst is alleging. Meanwhile in reality supplier success is tied to unit sales not profits.
Okay you win. Your point, totally unrelated to the article, is absolutely correct. Supplier success is tied to their sales. I bow to your unrelenting logic. You have forwarded your narrative. Re-iterated it when I was searching for discourse regarding the actual topic. I do admire your ability to completely ignore subject matter that doesn't support your assertions.

Thank you sincerely for your take on the stock price slippage. It was informative.
__________________
I own products from Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, and a ton of other companies. All of it works and does exactly what I want it to do. Personal use case. Nothing else matters.
69Mustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 02:00 PM   #18
Gudi
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
I bow to your unrelenting logic.
And what if not applied logic can lead us to wisdom. Amen.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carl Icahn Posts Response to Apple On Proxy Proposal for Share Buyback, Buys $500 Million More in Stock MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 170 Jan 28, 2014 12:38 PM
Apple Cutting iPhone 5c Production at Two Major Suppliers MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 224 Oct 18, 2013 05:26 PM
all my newstand prices becomes Japanese Yen, please help 10-Dee-Q iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Feb 28, 2013 12:48 PM
Apple Earnings- Scully on Bloomberg Tsuchiya Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 3 Jan 23, 2013 03:22 PM
Google Shares Fall on Premature Earnings (Stock Halted after 9% drop) Rogifan Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 10 Oct 21, 2012 03:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC