Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
So I have a few days to return/swap my macbook as its still under the return policy. But my issue here is my battery life is awful. I'm at 89% now, half brightness, and its estimating 4 hours of battery life. All I have open is chrome (on intergrated graphics) and gfxcardstatus. That's it! Do you guys think I should try to return it for a new device before its too late? When I had the 2012 macbook and I first got it, it estimated 10 hours around this time, not 4. Nor is 4 even close to the advertised 8 hours.

I have posted additional images/stat pics up at https://discussions.apple.com/message/24682078#24682078

I've also tried a smc reset and pram.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Did you try using Safari instead of Chrome, I generally get worse battery life out of chrome. Now that said, it does not decrease the battery life by 4 hours!

If you still have AppleCare call Apple see what they can offer to help you.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Did you try using Safari instead of Chrome, I generally get worse battery life out of chrome. Now that said, it does not decrease the battery life by 4 hours!

If you still have AppleCare call Apple see what they can offer to help you.
My macbook is about a week and a half old so it still falls under the return period. So I definitely have apple care, just deciding if this is worthy to exchange it for another one.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So I have a few days to return/swap my macbook as its still under the return policy. But my issue here is my battery life is awful. I'm at 89% now, half brightness, and its estimating 4 hours of battery life. All I have open is chrome (on intergrated graphics) and gfxcardstatus. That's it! Do you guys think I should try to return it for a new device before its too late? When I had the 2012 macbook and I first got it, it estimated 10 hours around this time, not 4. Nor is 4 even close to the advertised 8 hours.

I have posted additional images/stat pics up at https://discussions.apple.com/message/24682078#24682078

does using gfxcardstatus effect battery?

also I agree with trying safari

also look in activity monitor for any processes running high

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
does using gfxcardstatus effect battery?

also I agree with trying safari

also look in activity monitor for any processes running high

Safari helps a little but not much. Here's a screen capture of everything. Granted this is at about 75% brightness since I'm in a bright room but still the battery seems unusually low.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 12.55.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 12.55.04 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 324

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Safari helps a little but not much. Here's a screen capture of everything. Granted this is at about 75% brightness since I'm in a bright room but still the battery seems unusually low.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. The estimate is just that-an estimate. It in no way will tell you the exact amount of battery life you will get, and it changes based on settings, brightness, etc.

What battery life are you ACTUALLY getting?

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Been There Done That

Like the title says, 15"rMBP, maxed out, already posted in another thread, what it comes down to from doing allot of search's , both here in the forums and apples support forum's is that it seem's that the OS is what's reporting the wrong information, supposedly another user loaded the beta 10.9.2 and the battery issues were all taken care of.

Now on Monday I went through Apple care on the phone and did the SMC reset and went from 18 hour's to 4 hours in less than 20 minutes, VMware, running along with Safari, Mail, Contacts, i Photo, web services. He said take it back that's not good and you should return it.

Go into buy a new pair of headphones and the manager saw me and said they figured it out and that the next update should fix / display the proper numbers.
They took back 8 15" rMBP's yesterday.

The gfx program worked great, and the coconut battery program was good for information also.

Its frustrating for sure, the boot up and shut times are fast and slow according to the genius's because of all the drivers they have to load

Good Luck

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

The "time remaining" indication is an ever-changing estimate, based on the current workload of your system. It will fluctuate up and down from minute to minute as your power demands change. It is not perfectly accurate, but only an estimate. The only true measure of battery life is to fully charge your battery, then measure the time while you run on battery under your normal workload until your Mac shuts down/sleeps from the battery being drained. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
That includes standby time.

And my actual battery time is accurate according to those estimates. It's draining pretty darn fast for no particular reason.

What is your system configuration?

Also what you have in the screen shot is what I was seeing on monday when I had Applecare on the phone, that's when they said take it back.

Any updates?

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
What is your system configuration?

Also what you have in the screen shot is what I was seeing on monday when I had Applecare on the phone, that's when they said take it back.

Any updates?

Honestly I'll probably return it tomorrow. I'm at 74% using chrome (yes I know chrome uses more battery, but doesn't seem like much compared to safari..) and its estimating 3:00 remaining. I've had other replacements and I never noticed it draining so fast. There has to be a defect in the battery or something..this didn't happen on any of my other replacement devices.

YES, I know the estimation is not always correct, but this sure seems accurate because of how fast its dropping.

I have the 2.3ghz/500gb ssd/750m graphics. However gfxcardstatus is set so everything is integrated.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
now 10 minutes after light browsing usage and deciding to quit chrome + gfxcardstatus and use safari its at 68% with an estimate of 2:30 remaining. -.-

There is absolutely nothing with high energy impact in the activity monitor.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

I'd reccomend checking activity monitor for any CPU craving processes, and also why use chrome and not safari?, when apple says 8 hours of web browsing they mean safari.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
I'd reccomend checking activity monitor for any CPU craving processes, and also why use chrome and not safari?, when apple says 8 hours of web browsing they mean safari.

According to the estimates / what I notice in the real world, there is little change between browsers. Like I said I'm in safari now and the battery is still draining rapidly. 63% 3:00. It is better than chrome but not by much.

There is practically nothing using CPU either its at 98% idle. And my macbook is running fairly cool. I don't understand this. o.o

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you run any terminal commands to see your cycle count and charge capacity?

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Have you run any terminal commands to see your cycle count and charge capacity?

I've ran coconut battery. The results are below:

Cycle count is 17. Doesn't seem like coconut battery is entirely accurate though since I get different "design capacities" every time. Before it was saying 99% and now its saying I have above a 100% capacity.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 3.37.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 3.37.22 AM.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 72

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I've ran coconut battery. The results are below:

Cycle count is 17. Doesn't seem like coconut battery is entirely accurate though since I get different "design capacities" every time. Before it was saying 99% and now its saying I have above a 100% capacity.

That info is the same you'd get from terminal and all looks good.

I would recommend a fresh install of mavericks.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
That info is the same you'd get from terminal and all looks good.

I would recommend a fresh install of mavericks.

Since my last day to return the device is tomorrow, I don't think I'll play the trail and error game. There is no reason this should be happening, with no hints via activity monitor.

MEDELLINHEEL

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2014
I just got a new 13 mbp yesterday.

Seems my battery life is not good. It is at 95% and says I have 4:05 remaining.

Is that normal or low?

nsmo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I am in a similar situation. Top tier 15" rMBP, 2.3, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, dGPU. Battery shows about 4 hours on full charge. I have until Monday to return. Similar to you I have been using chrome. Can't imagine chrome would reduce the estimated battery life in half, but I will try switching to safari or firefox this weekend. I really do not want to return or have to go back to the apple store. Other than this issue the machine runs flawlessly but half the estimated battery life is not acceptable IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.