Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Can't seem to find the answer. Apple store personnel confirm the 1TB model for the newest MBP Retina is a four lane PCIe 2.0 module. There is clearly enough room in the nMP and photos of the connector looks the same. As someone who should have ordered the 1TB SSD but didn't, I'm interested in upgrading ASAP.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Can't seem to find the answer. Apple store personnel confirm the 1TB model for the newest MBP Retina is a four lane PCIe 2.0 module. There is clearly enough room in the nMP and photos of the connector looks the same. As someone who should have ordered the 1TB SSD but didn't, I'm interested in upgrading ASAP.

I doubt anyone here will know with any certainty. The only sources I can think of other than Apple that might know, are OWC or iFixit. Perhaps contact all three and see if you can get an answer? If you can get a no-hassle return policy, why not just try it?

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium

It's been asked a few times before on these forums with the answer that it's not going to be possible.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

isn't 2013 rmbp soldered? why you asking?

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Just for information purposes...

iFixit posted here at step #6 for the nMP
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778
On board we find some rather familiar friends:
Samsung S4LN053X01-8030 (ARM) Flash Controller
Samsung K9HFGY8S5C-XCK0 Flash Storage
Samsung K4P4G324EB 512 MB RAM
This combination of hardware makes the Mac Pro's SSD suspiciously similar to those we've seen in the latest refresh of MacBook Pro Retina and MacBook Air.
To the point that only the last few digits of the model numbers are any different.

qUeifV1vBMbNQEx3.huge

yFKA62gfKhgwVbvT.huge

And the Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 PCI-e SSD looks like this (#step 2)
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2013+Teardown/18696

pJJEl35eTGDCapbU.huge

U4OAkHXuBstQCQGP.huge

So, we need somebody to actually try it. I would contact iFixit and ask them directly.

Thanks
Anim

PS. Bigger copies of those images are available on iFixit links posted above.

Last edited:

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
One would think that OWC would have already tried it, since they carry replacement blade drives for the rMBP....I mean, they weren't scared to completely tear their nMP apart...:D And if it would have worked, I would think they would have already announced it. But maybe they are busy testing it under all possible circumstances to make sure it works before they start selling it for the nMP?
I'm also curious, but I will most likely order the 1TB to begin with. The problem is, what would you do with the OEM drive once you pull it out? Are there external housings for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.