Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Build 13C48 to Developers

Apple today seeded build 13C48 of OS X 10.9.2 to developers, marking the fourth beta iteration of 10.9.2. The release comes a week after the third OS X 10.9.2 beta, build 13C44, and a little over a month after the first OS X 10.9.2 beta.

The update is available to registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus on mail, messages, graphics drivers, VoiceOver, VPN, and SMB2. Earlier betas of OS X 10.9.2 began allowing Mac users to block people on iMessage and FaceTime, as can be done in iOS 7, and also introduced FaceTime Audio.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Build 13C48 to Developers
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:01 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
765mb on 2011 mbp
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Normally I'm in the "it'll be nice to have some fixes and polish" camp.

This time, there is a very severe bug that I and plenty of other people running 10.9 servers are having wherein the SMB server will crash with alarming regularity, necessitating manually restarting the process and rendering our Windows users very, very unhappy. (Actually, it'd be better if it just crashed outright; it instead partially hangs with high CPU use for a long time, so it doesn't get automatically re-launched for several hours, and bogs down the system to boot.)

Reports from beta testers are that 10.9.2 fixes this, which will prevent a lot of dirty looks from the Windows crowd at work, and a lot less "I can't access the server--reboot it. Again."

Please, hurry it up, Apple.

(And before you ask why I'm on 10.9 instead of staying with 10.8, 10.8's SMBX was literally unusable--half the Win7 clients tickled a bug that would hang Adobe and MS apps when reading from the server. I had actually disabled it and installed Samba as a workaround, but user management was painful.)
Makosuke is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:10 PM   #4
energyboy
Banned

I hope it fixes the lack of a three-finger swipe in the finder as back & forth.
energyboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:40 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyboy View Post
Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but it seems to only move the cursor across the screen and highlight what it crosses over.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but it seems to only move the cursor across the screen and highlight what it crosses over.
He's referring to the gesture that would let you go back/forward in a Finder window.
Cougarcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:02 AM   #7
jan1024188
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post
Normally I'm in the "it'll be nice to have some fixes and polish" camp.

This time, there is a very severe bug that I and plenty of other people running 10.9 servers are having wherein the SMB server will crash with alarming regularity, necessitating manually restarting the process and rendering our Windows users very, very unhappy. (Actually, it'd be better if it just crashed outright; it instead partially hangs with high CPU use for a long time, so it doesn't get automatically re-launched for several hours, and bogs down the system to boot.)

Reports from beta testers are that 10.9.2 fixes this, which will prevent a lot of dirty looks from the Windows crowd at work, and a lot less "I can't access the server--reboot it. Again."

Please, hurry it up, Apple.

(And before you ask why I'm on 10.9 instead of staying with 10.8, 10.8's SMBX was literally unusable--half the Win7 clients tickled a bug that would hang Adobe and MS apps when reading from the server. I had actually disabled it and installed Samba as a workaround, but user management was painful.)
Apple should release 10.9.2 sooner for that bug alone. The crashes are awful, and unacceptable to wait 3 months for a patch.
jan1024188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:22 AM   #8
bradhs
macrumors member

Ha! We are dealing with the Exchange with Mac Mail bug. I also can't wait for them to release this to the general public. I'm lucky enough to test this and work with Apple to fix the issues. I'm hoping this build is polished off to GA. The last few builds need a little "polishing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan1024188 View Post
Apple should release 10.9.2 sooner for that bug alone. The crashes are awful, and unacceptable to wait 3 months for a patch.
bradhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 01:05 AM   #9
slime73
macrumors newbie

Has anyone checked whether 10.9.2 exposes any new OpenGL extensions / functionality?

If you download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer and go to the "OpenGL", "Extensions", or "Report" tabs, you can see a list of what your system supports.

For reference, here is what's displayed in Mac OS 10.9.1 on my system:

slime73 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 01:39 AM   #10
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Direct download links are now available for this build on apple's developer forums for the delta and combo updates.

These allow a developer to get them through a browser instead of the mac app store.
tywebb13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 01:59 AM   #11
WallToWallMacs
macrumors regular

Anyone able to check through the extensions to see whether the video card drivers have been updated along with other extensions?
WallToWallMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:02 AM   #12
mcarling
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know whether or not HiDPI support is provided for external 4K monitors?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:04 AM   #13
OT-Mac
macrumors newbie

Yes, couldn't agree more with you Makosuke, jan1024188 and bradhs! We too have experienced both the SMB bugs and the Mail Exchange bug (public folders just download the entire lot... Terabytes onto small SSD iMacs...).

Really can't understand how this can be so hard for Apple to test and fix. This should be part of their internal testing, not waiting for every systems admin to have to post bug reports.

We tried 10.9.1 on our Mac Pro server for exactly the same reasons posted by Makosuke, but alas, with the SMB bug so prominent, we rolled back to 10.8.

Currently we have to survive with a semi-working 10.8 and a virtual Windows Server for the critical files that cannot work with 10.8's SMB1 (Revit, some AutoCAD files etc that seem to require SMB2).

Hurry up Apple and fix this ASAP. Your corporate clients are losing faith in your ability to make anything other than iphones... Unfortunately, we can't just abandon the Windows machines entirely. We wish, but until AutoDesk AutoCAD/Revit come out with decent Mac versions (not half-attempts) this won't be possible.
OT-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:23 AM   #14
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by slime73 View Post
Has anyone checked whether 10.9.2 exposes any new OpenGL extensions / functionality?
Apple implements only the OpenGL version which is available via the integrated GPU.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Does anyone know whether or not HiDPI support is provided for external 4K monitors?
I doubt that, because Apple does not support 4K displays @ the moment.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:36 AM   #15
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Build numbers are getting closer so will this mean public release is soon?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:02 AM   #16
mcarling
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
I doubt that, because Apple does not support 4K displays @ the moment.
Apple are selling a 4K monitor: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HD...hd-led-monitor

You are saying that Apple do not support the monitor they are selling?

Other 4K monitors, such as Dell, also work in 10.8.5 and 10.9.1 but only at native resolution.

Last edited by mcarling; Jan 31, 2014 at 03:08 AM.
mcarling is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:26 AM   #17
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The update is available to registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store as well as through the Mac Dev Center.
That's not strictly true.

What is offered in the mac dev center is the seed note and the seed configuration utility. Delta and combo DMG updates (similar to the ones on apple's public software updates page) that used to be offered there for previous versions of OS X betas are no longer being offered there for Mavericks betas.

You update mavericks betas either through the mac app store after installing the seed configuration utility, or use the direct links on apple's developer forums.

As an example, here is a screen snapshot of a mountain lion 10.8.5 beta on the mac dev center replete with dmg files for the delta and combo updates:

No such DMG files appear there for delta and combo mavericks beta updates.

Last edited by tywebb13; Jan 31, 2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:55 AM   #18
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple does not support 4K displays @ the moment.
That statement is false.

shurcooL is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:03 AM   #19
TeToslaw
macrumors member

Nice, but I'm still waiting for first beta of 10.10
TeToslaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:53 AM   #20
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
That statement is false.

That's the theoretical hardware support. It does not mean that OS X 10.9.0-10.9.2 is the best OS for 4K displays.

-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 05:00 AM   #21
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slime73 View Post
No the extensions are the same in 10.9.2.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:38 AM   #22
djgamble
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's the theoretical hardware support. It does not mean that OS X 10.9.0-10.9.2 is the best OS for 4K displays.
The BEST OS for 4K displays... let's throw some subjective squabble out there rather than answering the actual point.

It clearly proves that Apple supports 4K displays (MULTIPLE 4K displays.) Some aren't supported and there will be subjective flaws...etc as usual, but there is support for 4K displays. Saying there isn't is incorrect...
djgamble is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:49 AM   #23
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgamble View Post
...let's throw some subjective squabble out there rather than answering the actual point.
Thanks for your sources. Very convincing.

-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:51 AM   #24
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyboy View Post
That's a bad idea. Three finger drag allows you to move things. If you swiped with three fingers over the finder window, you would risk moving files by mistake.
newagemac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 06:56 AM   #25
SvP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for your sources. Very convincing.
you're kindof being an ass, but i wanted to see for myself: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6008?v...S&locale=en_US
SvP is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion