Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saifulmazloum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Wanted to ask what settings people are using on their Dell Ultrasharps?

I bought a U2711 but when it is in wide mode everything looks stretched. I am using a mini display port to dvi cable? Is that where I am making the error?

I am very pleased with the color profiles though. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Are you using a displayport cable or a dvi cable. I think if you are using dvi you need a dual link adapter (for the resolution) and not the regular adapter. The newer dell monitors usually have full size displayport. See if you can get a mini to full size adapter. Its much cheaper and less buggy than the mini displayport to dual link dvi adapter.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Wanted to ask what settings people are using on their Dell Ultrasharps?

I bought a U2711 but when it is in wide mode everything looks stretched. I am using a mini display port to dvi cable? Is that where I am making the error?

I am very pleased with the color profiles though. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

The reason why the display looks stretched is because you're not running the monitor at its full native resolution, since the miniDP to DVI adapter only goes up to 1920x1200. Your monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440. You need to get a miniDP to Display port cable (cheap) or a miniDP to dual link DVI adapter (expensive)

funwithdesign

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
This monitor has so many inputs there are a few good options.

The easiest one is just to use the dual link DVI to DVI cable it came with. I assume because you are posting in the Mac Pro forum that your computer has a DVI output.

As mentioned, the Display port to mini display port cable will also work.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I'd just get the mini DP to DP cable, as others have said they are pretty cheap.

Big fan of the U2711's panel, colours and the semi gloss coat is a winner despite it looking ugly as sin compared to a TB display. Shame Apple have to coat theirs in full gloss coat!

saifulmazloum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a minidp to display port adapter as well as a wire to try both. Thanks again. What color profiles are people using? Or did you calibrate your own?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.