Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Finally relented as managed to get a brand new unlocked phone from CEX ( still had wrapping and even was able to get the free apps! ) for £250 when trading in my old phone.

Apart from the obvious touch id, is there a big difference in performance etc or is it negligible?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Finally relented as managed to get a brand new unlocked phone from CEX ( still had wrapping and even was able to get the free apps! ) for £250 when trading in my old phone.

Apart from the obvious touch id, is there a big difference in performance etc or is it negligible?

If you do normal tasks like texting and email, I think you won't big games and things that need procession like exporting an iMovie video you will notice a difference.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

negligible

vijayvasa

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
I did the same thing just on Saturday and now I was thinking I should have saved 200 by going to 5c.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
It depends on if you're detail oriented or not. I notice the difference between the 5 and 5S right away. And that was before I was looking for the performance gap.

If you're the kind of person that can't tell that there is a difference in quality between 720p and 1080p, then you won't care about the 5S' speed.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Not night and day but definitely faster. Safari has the most noticeable improvement. Animations are smoother than my old 5 and my fiances 5.

iOS 7.1 seems to make the 5s really fly.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
if you jailbreak and use virtual home it is definitely better. other than that you probably won't notice a thing.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Not really even though touch I'd was awesome. And a better camera. But it wasn't enough for me so I went back to my 5 and also I hate the space gray color. Love the slate 5

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
I love my 5s :)

Touch ID is a really convenient way to keep your phone secure with a complex password, yet unlock it in a flash without having to type it in.

The 64-bit processor is a bit more 'future proofed' than the iPhone 5 so it will get more updates for longer.

The one-handed operation is really underrated compared to the monster pancakes you see running android.

And the camera is the best-in-class for a smartphone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, my wife has a 5 and I have a 5s and they are just as fast doing anything. I got the 5s for the better camera and my black 5s was scratched to death.
Strange, I've come across some demos where graphic heavy games were smoother/faster on the 5S in comparison to 5/5C.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Touch ID and the camera is only thing I have noticed so far, hoping for improved signal with Three at my workplace in Tunbridge Wells as the reception is pretty ropey there! Pretty impressed with the camera in low light I have to say!

Any apps or games that you would recommend?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
You won't really notice. TouchID is great but you don't notice the speed difference in the majority of apps. Fast on paper but the os and apps don't push it. I think a previous poster said future proof but not when you only have 1gig of ram. I swapped my 5s for the Note 3 but before I did I had got a 2nd gen Nexus 7 tablet and both were a great combo. Once I got the Note 3 I returned the Nexus 7 because it was redundant.
So for 2014 it's either iPhone 6 with a 3rd gen Nexus 7 or the Note 4. I can never leave Android but I don't miss iOS. If the iPhone didn't have app dominance it would be no different than Windows Phone (a capable smartphone). The Note 3 is a throw everything in the kitchen sink type of device with 2 negatives; plastic build and slow os updates.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I've noticed a the speed a bit as well as camera improvements. TouchID is kinda cool but now whenever I use my iPad I just sit there with my finger on the home button hoping to log in but nothing happens haha. The biggest upgrade I've noticed is the battery (maybe bc my 5 battery was horrible?) but yea the upgrade has been nice.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Maybe now you can choose a passcode that's more secure instead of just convenient to unlock.

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
You won't really notice. TouchID is great but you don't notice the speed difference in the majority of apps. Fast on paper but the os and apps don't push it. I think a previous poster said future proof but not when you only have 1gig of ram. I swapped my 5s for the Note 3 but before I did I had got a 2nd gen Nexus 7 tablet and both were a great combo. Once I got the Note 3 I returned the Nexus 7 because it was redundant.
So for 2014 it's either iPhone 6 with a 3rd gen Nexus 7 or the Note 4. I can never leave Android but I don't miss iOS. If the iPhone didn't have app dominance it would be no different than Windows Phone (a capable smartphone). The Note 3 is a throw everything in the kitchen sink type of device with 2 negatives; plastic build and slow os updates.

who cares?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The M7 processor might make certain fitness apps more viable and less battery intensive. For example, there is that pedometer app which constantly tracks your number of steps, if you are into that sort of thing, and is designed with the 5s in mind.

The 64-bit processor and A7 chip are obviously faster, but I am not sure if you will notice the difference in everyday usage.

As mentioned, another main draw are the free iWork's and ilife apps, which you can now also cross-install on your iPad, if you didn't already have them.

I am curious as to why you decided to upgrade. The iphone5 not working out well enough for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.