Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerveosu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2001
So.. what will an airport extreme card work in.. it looks like only powermacs and new powerbooks.. am I right?

Can someone tell me why they could not use the old form factor and why it could not be compatible with and iMac DV (slot load iMac G3).

Thanks.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: AirPort Extreme Questions.

Originally posted by nerveosu
So.. what will an airport extreme card work in.. it looks like only powermacs and new powerbooks.. am I right?

Can someone tell me why they could not use the old form factor and why it could not be compatible with and iMac DV (slot load iMac G3).

Thanks.
only the new 12 and 17 inch powerbook support this new airport. we will have to wait for next hardware releases for the new airport. and im sure apple would have used the old form factor if it was easier.

iJon

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
I don't know much about it yet, but I'm wondering if we can get the new cards to fit in where the old ones are.

Soma_Addict

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2002
This is from Apple's Airport Extreme Card page in the Apple Store.

"* Requires AirPort Extreme ready system. AirPort Extreme ready systems are those with mini-PCI support form factor. AirPort Extreme cards cannot be used in older AirPort card bays (PCMCIA form factor slot)."

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by rjrufo
I don't know much about it yet, but I'm wondering if we can get the new cards to fit in where the old ones are.

Well, if you look at the difference between the old and new cards you will see that they have different size and connectors.

I figure we'll see some sort of option to get us there at some point. At least, I hope we do. I'll be mighty disapointed if we lose out.

Dan

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Thanks Soma_Addict and alset, I haven't been to the Apple site yet, so your info, saved me some time researching it myself.

I guess, I'll have to wait until I'm ready to upgrade. Maybe next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.