Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
My other half and her sister are not all that when it comes to technology. I convinced them both to get iPhones which in part I think they are happy with. They keep moaning how crap the iPhone web browsing is though and I couldn't work out what they were on about so my other half showed me we pages not displaying correctly. She was using the google search app instead of safari.

This annoys me slightly because the app does not really serve a big purpose that safari can't so without it yet they didn't realise that it's the app making the experience poor not the phone.

Anybody else heard others with this issue. It annoys me that there is such a poorly made app by google that people see and trust which actually ruins the browsing experience and many people like my other half may go on not realising it's not there iphone, it's google and want to switch to... Googles android.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
User error, not the app's fault. If I mistake Angry Birds as a web browser I would have a hard time too, but it's never meant to be a web browser. For a browser, Google has Chrome.

Their tech sense is too low but it's common. They'll catch up.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I like the Google app. Not for web browsing obviously, but it does have some good features. It's Location services and remembering my frequently visited places is very convenient and works better than Apple's similar feature honestly.

Azy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
User error, not the app's fault. If I mistake Angry Birds as a web browser I would have a hard time too, but it's never meant to be a web browser. For a browser, Google has Chrome.

Their tech sense is too low but it's common. They'll catch up.

That's a rather unfair comparison to make. Her logic is sound in that she wants to look something up online she presses google. She didn't understand that the websites that subsequently displayed were not presented in the same way Safari would and did not see why she would have to switch to another app because the google app cannot correctly show some of the results.

No doubt there are advantages to the google app (cards) but I can defiantly understand the confusion and it appears sub standard to me that Google have released an app to search for websites and them cannot display websites properly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.