Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waxweazle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Belgium
So I'm often transferring files from my MBPR to my regular (custom built windows 7) PC and I'm just so disappointed about the slow speeds it's using...

Currently I'm moving a file across the network at such a poor speed that it takes me a long time...
I'm moving a 7gb file and it's taking ages...
Can someone tell me where I can see how fast the transfer rate is?
I was looking through Activity Monitor, and I read data sent: 3mb/s... It can't be that poor can it..?

And is there anybody who has an idea on how to speed this up because I used to be able to do this faster though...

I'm literally sitting right at my router and my PC is wired to the router. So can anybody explain to me howcome this is so slow..?
Are there any tips on how to speed this up..? I've been searching around for a week, but couldn't find a solution on how to fasten it...

ps: I'm not planning on buying a thunderbolt to firewire cable just so I can transfer files.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Can someone tell me where I can see how fast the transfer rate is?

I use MenuMeters (free); iStat Menus is also popular ($16).

I assume your setup is rMBP -> WiFi -> router -> Ethernet -> PC? There are a lot of variables there. What brand of router? Are flavor 802.11 are you using (b, g, n, ac)? Are you on 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Is the PC using 10baseT, 100baseT, 1000baseT?

You can get some of the WiFi info by clicking on the Airport icon in your menubar while holding down the option key.

Waxweazle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Belgium
Thanks for your reply so fast!

I'm using a WRT610N (v2.0). I'm planning on upgrading my router somewhere in the future but would like to get the fastest result I can get for now out of this one.
I've got 2 connections; 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but I'm pretty much always connected to the 5Ghz with my MBPR.
I didn't know the option + click thing, just did it, here's the result;

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
You are connected at 802.11a speed... Which is the 5ghz version of "G", or close to 54mbps. (Around 7 MegaBytes/s)

Your router support N speed, you should check its settings!

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Your best bet for moving large amounts of data is to use hard wired connections. Anything in a fixed location in my house has Ethernet cables running to it. The I devices are about the only thing that uses wifi.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Buy the adapter, gigabit ethernet runs circles around even 802.11ac connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.