Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I was just going to post this!

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25237&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37411&mapcode=consumer|wireless

6Gt9n.png

I could save a decent amount of money by bringing over my three lines.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
"Customers new to AT&T can get these best-ever prices on AT&T’s award-winning network when they sign up for a 10GB or larger bucket of data and purchase a phone with AT&T NextSM (no annual service contract and get a new device every year for $0 down) or bring their own device or purchase a phone at full retail price."

No subsidy

"5. Customers who choose to upgrade at the end of their current agreement are required to sign-up for NEXT, bring their own device or purchase a phone a full retail price in order to keep this plan.
"

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Now I wonder if anyone could clarify if I could do the traditional two year contracts. I refuse to do AT&T Next.

For example, I switch my three lines over. My line is due for an upgrade in May. I want to get the GS5. My other line is due in September. They want the upcoming iPhone.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Well two of my lines are 5S so they will work for ATT and I own them outright (No Contract) so it's still worth it for me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Now I wonder if anyone could clarify if I could do the traditional two year contracts. I refuse to do AT&T Next.

For example, I switch my three lines over. My line is due for an upgrade in May. I want to get the GS5. My other line is due in September. They want the upcoming iPhone.

Nope. They want u to do full price.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008

Still cheaper even with AT&T next for all 3 lines for a year. $4850* for two years since you pay off phone in a year.

Verizon is $5280 for two years with subsides. Taxes and fees not included and FAN not included.

If my math is right of course..

*For 32GB iPhone 5S, not including $100 Bill Credit per line.

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It looks you either have to buy full price or do Next. I like it. The price wars have officially begun. Your move Verizon.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As a long time AT&T users that's actually a pretty good deal! I've got unlimited data (usually use betwen 1GB-3GB) but only 550min talk (we have 47 hours of rollover so on average we use half that a month) and 200 texts messages which I do regularly run up against (Android using coworkers ;)) and one extra line with 300MB/data (she uses half, thank you work and home wifi) and no texts (text spam was unbelievable) and we pay $102/month. I know that sounds low but we've got a great FAN discount and for our usage it works. If we were more demanding this new plan would be excellent.

I might actually call a CSR just to see if it would come close to what we're paying with our FAN discount.

[EDIT]
Oh wait, seems you have to use Next ... not gonna happen here as I sell my old phone to finance the new one. With Next you have to trade it in for a new one and you don't have the option of keeping it even if you wanted to. Because the device is still subsidized you're also effectively giving AT&T hundreds of dollars. Source: The Verge

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Still cheaper even with AT&T next for all 3 lines for a year. $3930 for two years since you pay off phone in a year.

Verizon is $5280 for two years with subsides. Taxes and fees not included and FAN not included.

If my math is right of course..

hmm... thanks for the quick maths. I'll crunch some numbers tonight and see what I get.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
hmm... thanks for the quick maths. I'll crunch some numbers tonight and see what I get.

AND thats no including the $100 bill credit att is giving for every line you add! This really is not a bad deal at quick glance.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The subsidy you are giving up is roughly $18/line per month.

So if you have 5 lines. You are giving up $90 in subsidies per month.

Think about that.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Ok so even by that accord.

$54 x 12= $648/Yr

$1350/Yr for att next with three lines.

So for the first year you are correct is is much more however looking at two year totals for three lines:

2 Year ATT- $4830 (Phones paid off in 12 months, NO activation fee.)

2 Year Verizon- $5370 (24 Month Subsidy, $30 Activation Per Line)

Not including Taxes and Fees. Sans FAN Account discount.

Saving $540 over two years once again Excluding taxes and fees. ATT is still the better deal.
----------

[/COLOR]
[EDIT]
Oh wait, seems you have to use Next ... not gonna happen here as I sell my old phone to finance the new one. With Next you have to trade it in for a new one and you don't have the option of keeping it even if you wanted to. Because the device is still subsidized you're also effectively giving AT&T hundreds of dollars. Source: The Verge

This was prior to the changed plans. ATT Next is a different animal with no subsides in the price.

Last edited:

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
This is enough for me to read the small print and maybe give up my unlimited data. I have never been a fan of the subsidized phone system as you aren't getting a discount, it is just calculated into your bill. Let me go to Apple, buy an unlocked phone when I want to , as often as I want to and give me that break on calls/data. Looks like we may be getting there.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
This is enough for me to read the small print and maybe give up my unlimited data. I have never been a fan of the subsidized phone system as you aren't getting a discount, it is just calculated into your bill. Let me go to Apple, buy an unlocked phone when I want to , as often as I want to and give me that break on calls/data. Looks like we may be getting there.

Exactly and my calculations are if you buy a NEW iPhone with AT&T next financing. Now if you bought the phone used or used a nexus 5 you will be savings MORE money.

jakubp12

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2014
Would this stack with the FAN discount? I get 22% my bill so Im considering this if I get the FAN discount as well...

Currently paying about $165 for three lines with 1 unlimited, 2 with 200mb. If 22% stacks with the 145, it would bring me to about $115-120 so thats quite a bit savings.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Would this stack with the FAN discount? I get 22% my bill so Im considering this if I get the FAN discount as well...

Currently paying about $165 for three lines with 1 unlimited, 2 with 200mb. If 22% stacks with the 145, it would bring me to about $115-120 so thats quite a bit savings.

FAN applies but is calculated differently. I think your 22% of would only apply to the base price of the plan and not the $15 for each additional line OR the ATT next monthly cost.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Exactly and my calculations are if you buy a NEW iPhone with AT&T next financing. Now if you bought the phone used or used a nexus 5 you will be savings MORE money.

I actually use so few talk minutes I would take a data only iPhone in a heartbeat so unlimited talk and text doesn't ring my bell. The 10g shared data at that price point has piqued my interest.

jakubp12

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2014
FAN applies but is calculated differently. I think your 22% of would only apply to the base price of the plan and not the $15 for each additional line OR the ATT next monthly cost.

Well I have no need for new phones (all three have 5s's) at the moment and if its off the base that'd be $22 off so $123 plus taxes and fees. Still quite a bit cheaper than what Its costing me now.

I just called them actually to see and they have no clue about the plan lol. They said the FAN would come off the base plan so off of the $100. Im considering this. I am also getting 3 $35 credits and 6 30$ credits for the next couple months, so if they transfer those over, its a no brainer haha. $60 for three months and $95 for the next 3.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Well I have no need for new phones (all three have 5s's) at the moment and if its off the base that'd be $22 off so $123 plus taxes and fees. Still quite a bit cheaper than what Its costing me now.

I just called them actually to see and they have no clue about the plan lol. They said the FAN would come off the base plan so off of the $100. Im considering this. I am also getting 3 $35 credits and 6 30$ credits for the next couple months, so if they transfer those over, its a no brainer haha. $60 for three months and $95 for the next 3.

Yea its not official until tomorrow. I don't know how they will handle the plan change with phones still on contract though. I guess thats something that you would need to find out tomorrow to see if its still cost efficient.

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Yea its not official until tomorrow. I don't know how they will handle the plan change with phones still on contract though. I guess thats something that you would need to find out tomorrow to see if its still cost efficient.

Here are the details for those that are still on contract.

On Contract - $40 per line for remaining contract then it reduces to $15 per line after it rolls off contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.