Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 1, 2014, 07:57 PM   #51
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

New ATT Plans Feb 2, 2014

Did some reading on The Verge's article and comment section and it seems the rock bottom price for 2 phones is $130/month. Still not as good as their ancient plans around unlimited time. I'm only paying $102/month after taxes for 2 iPhones that meet our usage needs (1 unlimited, 1 300Mb). That does include a ~25% FAN though.

The breakdown is thus:
• 10GB Mobile Shared Data - $100
• $15 per line (2 lines minimum) - off contract pricing
• $40 per line - on contract

There is some confusion as reps have already started moving people over and giving them the $15 per line pricing even though they are still on contract. Seems it's a promotion of some sort.

I will say this, everyone that was paying over $130/month is saving money and getting more data to boot. Some a substantial amount. That's AT&T's system doing the math not they themselves calculating it.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther

Last edited by QuarterSwede; Feb 1, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 07:57 PM   #52
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I've still done the math. ATT still ripping people off even from their current mobile sharing plans

$100 (10gb data) plus $30 per line x 5 lines. That's $250/month BEFORE SUBSIDIES
considering high end phones like iPhones get subsidize around $450 per line. That comes out to around $18/line x 5 lines per month. So $90 subsidy per month for 5 lines.

$250-$90 (subsidies x 5 lines). Equals to real time around $160/month under old mobile share plan

Now new plans (no subsidy) $175 per month for 5 lines (no subsidy).

I am not adding taxes, fan discounts etc.

Yup folks. ATT has found a BACKDOOR way to increase your monthly bill by $15/month!

Sure you can argue you have to pay a $36/activation x 5 lines with subsidy. So in the event you don't get it waived. We all know they waive it pretty easy these days.

So $36x 5=$180 in activation fees

Still you are paying $15/month more with new plans. And with the old mobile share they decrease your bill $15/month per line once you finish your contract.

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless...html?referrer=
Current ATT 10gb plan with 5 lines is $300 not $250. Therefore:

Assuming 32GB 5S...

iPhone: $300 x 5 = $1500

Plan: $300 x 24 = $7200

Activation Fee: $150

Total : $ 8850 before taxes, fees and FAN discount (If Any)

New Plan:

iPhone: $37.50 x 5 = $187.5 x 20 months = $3750

Plan: $175 x 24 = $4200

Activation: None

Total: $7950 before taxes, fees and FAN discount (If Any)
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:00 PM   #53
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Interesting, I just wonder how much better AT&T is in our area now.

I've become so reliant on LTE as well, and I don't know if they have LTE in my area yet...

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:04 PM   #54
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Interesting, I just wonder how much better AT&T is in our area now.

I've become so reliant on LTE as well, and I don't know if they have LTE in my area yet...
http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

I'm in the same spot as you. Verizon better start talking.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:06 PM   #55
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I don't really understand. I have two smart phones on a 1 GB plan and they are both under contract. So I am paying $45 + $40 + $40 for a total of $125. If I switch to this plan, will I be paying just $130?

Mind you, these smart phones I have are under contract.

Edit, nvm.
I think I would be paying $100 + $40 + $40. Still though, not that bad.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:07 PM   #56
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

I'm in the same spot as you. Verizon better start talking.
The cellular war is between AT&T and TMobile. Nobody will even remember Verizon's name.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:10 PM   #57
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

New ATT Plans Feb 2, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
I don't really understand. I have two smart phones on a 1 GB plan and they are both under contract. So I am paying $45 + $40 + $40 for a total of $125. If I switch to this plan, will I be paying just $130?

Edit, nvm.

Call AT&T. Reps in the know will tell you. Some don't know enough about it yet. However, based on other Verge commenters who have switched already, yes, $130/month and they get 10GB shared data even people on contract.

To be clear, at&t reps are already switching people over. That is confirmed.

Just remember that when it comes time to upgrade you either have to keep using the device, join Next to upgrade (more $), or buy your own unlocked device.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:13 PM   #58
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post

Edit, nvm.
The $40 is not confirmed yet as the website says you can move but does not say under what conditions. But even at $130 you go from 1 GB to 10 GB.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
The cellular war is between AT&T and TMobile. Nobody will even remember Verizon's name.
The cellular war will affect Verizon whether it's intentional or collateral damage. I'm a VZ customer and I want to move to att and based on this thread and other boards, I'm not alone
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:30 PM   #59
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Wow, that was annoying. A rep with an accent answered. Apparently, I would not save any money, but I'd have more data available.

I pay $145 for 2 iPhones and 1 flip phone (mom) and get 1GB.

New plan is also $145, but 10GB. I asked her what's the catch? All I got was corporate speak. She either didn't know or wouldn't tell.

I'll call again tomorrow and try another rep.

Funny, I tried to come clean about no longer qualifying for a 19% discount, but apparently it hadn't hit the system yet so they couldn't take it off.
Apple TV
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:42 PM   #60
PNutts
macrumors 601

Ditto to frustration. I'll try to tomorrow or later. I'm not in a hurry.
  • 15 minutes to speak to someone
  • She didn't know about it
  • She found it and read up on it
  • Without looking at my account she thinks I will save money
  • I cut my losses at 25 minutes
PNutts is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:50 PM   #61
joethedairyguy
macrumors newbie

To start it's a good deal for a little while for existing contract customers but once your upgrade eligible you have to go to the next plan and if you decide to go with the 2 year contract price option your price goes back up to 40 for phone on line instead of 15. They will make money eventually on this because say you have 5 phone on the next plan you pay $175 for 10gb of data and unlimited talk n text but tact on 5 next payment plan payments to that your up much higher than 175 say you have 5 I phones on the next program per month it what 26.50 a phone so in one month that's another 132 in installment plan charges plus 175 your right back to where in most cases your bill was before. Att is pretty smart on this one but still a good deal for some for awhile
joethedairyguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:55 PM   #62
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Personal Hotspot / Tethering

Does anyone see how they are handling Personal Hotspot / Tethering for laptops and other WiFi devices?

Gary
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:09 PM   #63
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
Does anyone see how they are handling Personal Hotspot / Tethering for laptops and other WiFi devices?

Gary
I'm assuming (and hoping) that their existing mobile share policy on tethering will remain unchanged (i.e. it's included).
KeepCalmPeople is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:15 PM   #64
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethedairyguy View Post
To start it's a good deal for a little while for existing contract customers but once your upgrade eligible you have to go to the next plan and if you decide to go with the 2 year contract price option your price goes back up to 40 for phone on line instead of 15.
Or just stick with the unsubsidized price and buy your phones, unlocked, directly from Apple.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:16 PM   #65
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Cellular devices

I'm thinking they'll let me attach my Cellular iPad to this plan too? But for how much?

I can do 1GB for 90 days for $25 with their new-ish plan, so I don't want to pay $10 a month to share my other data when I really won't use that much. It's pretty rare I go over 200MB on my iPad (which I just use my free T-Mobile data for these days anyways).

Gary

Last edited by garylapointe; Feb 1, 2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Corrected to T-Mobile (for the free 200MB of data)
garylapointe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:18 PM   #66
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm thinking they'll let me attach my Cellular iPad to this plan too? But for how much?

I can do 1GB for 90 days for $25 with their new-ish plan, so I don't want to pay $10 a month to share my other data when I really won't use that much. It's pretty rare I go over 200MB on my iPad (which I just use my free AT&T data for these days anyways).

Gary
It's $10 a month to add a tablet to your mobile share plan. The price doesn't change because they are not subsidized.
KeepCalmPeople is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:31 PM   #67
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
It's $10 a month to add a tablet to your mobile share plan. The price doesn't change because they are not subsidized.
They COULD change the price if they wanted. It's a new plan...

Gary
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:34 PM   #68
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
Current ATT 10gb plan with 5 lines is $300 not $250. Therefore:

Assuming 32GB 5S...

iPhone: $300 x 5 = $1500

Plan: $300 x 24 = $7200

Activation Fee: $150

Total : $ 8850 before taxes, fees and FAN discount (If Any)

New Plan:

iPhone: $37.50 x 5 = $187.5 x 20 months = $3750

Plan: $175 x 24 = $4200

Activation: None

Total: $7950 before taxes, fees and FAN discount (If Any)
Must be a newer mobile share. My brother has one of the original mobile shares and he pays $30/smartphone line.

----------

Question.

What if you just upgraded today with subsidized phone.

Since you can switch tomorrow to no contract. Wonder how many people would do this.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:36 PM   #69
ugcop
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

I can do 1GB for 90 days for $25 with their new-ish plan, so I don't want to pay $10 a month to share my other data when I really won't use that much. It's pretty rare I go over 200MB on my iPad (which I just use my free AT&T data for these days anyways).

Gary

Free ATT data?

You sure you aren't talking about TMO.

$10 per month to add the pad = $30 every 90 days so it is $5 more over the 90 day period. Realizing of course that the data is coming out of your 10G data package as opposed to the 1G you would have had on a separate plan.

Other thing to consider, if the tether plans remain unchanged for the occasional usage you could tether off your phone.
ugcop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:41 PM   #70
Mr.Scarface
macrumors newbie

Ok....Switched to the plan.

Next Plan...18months. Other choice is 12.

3 iPhones, 1 HTC phone - $160 per month for 10 GB.
2 of the phones are now on the Next Plan (traded in an old iPhone 4...got $100 which paid for the Taxes on 1 new iPhone 5s and one HTC One sans $11).
The iPhone 5s (32GB) is $28.08 a month, the HTC is $23 a month on the Next plan.
Total bill before Taxes and FAN discount is $211. Was paying $253 for (8GBs, 700 minutes (a bunch of rollover mins.) after Taxes with a small 8% FAN discount.

Now, Im going to update another phone to the iPhone 5s under the next plan. Another $28.08. So, $240 total before Taxes and FAN. I will end up paying just about the same but I will have 3 new upgrades that people wanted without paying out of pocket for them and 2 extra GBs of data.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Must be a newer mobile share. My brother has one of the original mobile shares and he pays $30/smartphone line.

----------

Question.

What if you just upgraded today with subsidized phone.

Since you can switch tomorrow to no contract. Wonder how many people would do this.
Actually...the 5s are only 28.08 a month for the 32GBs if on the 18 month plan.
The 12 month plan maybe $37.

That Verge article is OLD.

Last edited by Mr.Scarface; Feb 1, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Mr.Scarface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:43 PM   #71
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Would I be eligible to switch to the $130 plan?

1st line has unlimited data (No Contract)
2nd line has 3GB data (Under contracts for 11 more months)

Both lines are upgradable

I am getting fed up that my data keeps getting throttled every month. I only need about 7-8 GB and my wife only uses about 700mb, if that.

Do these lines allow mobile hotspot? Would we be able to successfully switch to the $130/mo plan and keep our current phones? Don't want to do Next.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:47 PM   #72
hbenitez09
macrumors regular

They won't remove your discount it will continue on for as long as you have your account unless you directly work for AT&T and then their HR department removes those fans upon separation of employment. No AT&T employee will go out of their way to remove that discount unless they really are trying to be dicks. The catch is that when you upgrade those two iPhones you can't go on the 2 year agreement if you do instead of the lines costing 15 dollars per smartphone they will go up to 40 a piece. Now you can always switch back to the 1GB plan when you upgrade if thats what you want to do. You'll continue to pay 145 once you upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
Wow, that was annoying. A rep with an accent answered. Apparently, I would not save any money, but I'd have more data available.

I pay $145 for 2 iPhones and 1 flip phone (mom) and get 1GB.

New plan is also $145, but 10GB. I asked her what's the catch? All I got was corporate speak. She either didn't know or wouldn't tell.

I'll call again tomorrow and try another rep.

Funny, I tried to come clean about no longer qualifying for a 19% discount, but apparently it hadn't hit the system yet so they couldn't take it off.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:06 PM   #73
Mr.Scarface
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Would I be eligible to switch to the $130 plan?

1st line has unlimited data (No Contract)
2nd line has 3GB data (Under contracts for 11 more months)

Both lines are upgradable

I am getting fed up that my data keeps getting throttled every month. I only need about 7-8 GB and my wife only uses about 700mb, if that.

Do these lines allow mobile hotspot? Would we be able to successfully switch to the $130/mo plan and keep our current phones? Don't want to do Next.
Yes, all phone on mobile share plan get wifi hotspot option.
Mr.Scarface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:09 PM   #74
aneftp
macrumors 68040

My opinion.

If you are currently on subsidized mobile share. Than the new mobile share 10gb represents pretty good value along with no contract (and of course no subsidy).

For those of us on the 450-700-1400 min voice plans plus family plans. They may not be enticing enough.

Hard to beat my $210 (includes taxes and FAN discount) 4 iPhones with unlimited data (throttled) along with the subsidy. I estimate my subsidize around $18/month per line. So $72/month.

$160 for 4 lines plus taxes for new lines. Even with discount applied. Still looking at around (actually not even sure how discount would be applied)
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM   #75
Bryanw3535
macrumors regular

Interesting that in their comparison chart they straight-up admit that T-Mobile's your best bet if you're a family of two, as I am.

With just two lines, your best bet's T-Mobile, I guess.
Bryanw3535 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone