Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've had my iPhone 4 since it was released and never felt compelled to upgrade even though I'm a fanboi and have been using Macs for eons. (Maybe that's not a good thing or sign). The only phone I bought was when SJ was around.

In the past year or so my phone has become slow due to newer intensive apps and my battery got so spent I literally had to keep the cable plugged in about 20/7. Eventually the battery wouldn't charge and I wanted to retrieve some data so I decided to watch a couple of youtube vids and swap my battery just for the hell of it. I bought the same battery on amazon for $8 and the pentalobe and Phillips 00 screwdrivers and went to town.

I discovered that the new battery, obviously pulled from a toasted iPhone, was already half charged so it booted up and my iPhone was resurrected. I don't think many people realise how awesome a new battery is. My phone was on half for a couple of days. Quite amazing.

As I'm using my reborn iPhone I realise that I'm not hearing the charging sound when I connect the charger and I'm like oh snap, it was never the battery, it was the dock connector! Well the battery needed changing badly but it wasn't the reason for my dead phone. So I ordered the dock connector for $5 and performed surgery again. Bingo.

So now I have a newly refurbished iPhone 4 that I can use until Sept when the iPhone 6 comes out.

I was surprised by how easily it was to repair an iPhone. I think as long as it stays this accessible there's no need to have a removable battery as long as it's for the sake of design and not an intentional $ grab.

Considering my iPhone is pretty much the same as new and I've had it for 4 years abusing it and using it 20/7 the build quality is excellent. Dropped countless times without a case and hardly any scratches. I had one bad drop and the top right corner of the LCD? turned black so I can't see the battery indicator.

I'll purchase a new display and replace that too.

Anyway, I know many of you are pros. I just thought it was cool to try out repairing my iPhone myself instead of paying Apple or someone else much more or being forced to upgrade. Or at least be able to hold out until the iPhone 6.

I can't imagine how fast and large the iPhone 6 is going to be compared to my iPhone 4.

I will say that after being forced to use my iPad for weeks coming back to the iPhone was brutal. Waaaay too small. If the iPhone 6 isn't 5" I'll seriously be looking at another phone or iPad Mini. I could function with just an iPad mini because with all the wifi around I haven't needed a cellular capable device.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
The battery isn't as easy to replace on the iPhone 5 and 5S, unfortunately. You'll have to go through the display first

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
The battery isn't as easy to replace on the iPhone 5 and 5S, unfortunately. You'll have to go through the display first

I think it's about the same. Here's a phone I'm currently working with, below, and I already have access to the battery after removing the screen.

OP, good job. I think you'll find it a very rewarding experience. ;) Sent from my iPhone 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I think it's about the same. Here's a phone I'm currently working with, below, and I already have access to the battery after removing the screen.

OP, good job. I think you'll find it a very rewarding experience. ;) Sent from my iPhone 5.
thanks.

So access is the same just front instead of back right? Any other differences?

Btw, do you need to be an "authorised" repair shop to be able to order parts cheap enough to make a profit? Can anyone order parts from Apple? Better off on eBay buying quantity?

And I just created another thread but do iPads use the same repair tools? Pentalobe, Phillips 00, flat head etc?

Are you a hobbyist or is repair your gig?

Do people ever repair JUST the digitizer or is it just as cost effective to replace glass and cover at same time?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
And I just created another thread but do iPads use the same repair tools? Pentalobe, Phillips 00, flat head etc?

The iPad 2, 3, 4, and Air all use some sort of adhesive to secure the digitizer, you'll have to be careful removing it.

Do people ever repair JUST the digitizer or is it just as cost effective to replace glass and cover at same time?

I'm pretty sure that the digitizer and display are glued together and replaced as a single unit on the iPhone 5/5c/5s.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i wish i could have learned to do that when the 4/4s was the newest phone, could have made decent money flipping those.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Btw, do you need to be an "authorised" repair shop to be able to order parts cheap enough to make a profit? Can anyone order parts from Apple? Better off on eBay buying quantity?

You need certification to be able to order parts from Apple.

Otherwise you would need to resort to ebay or similar venues. Be warned though, a lot of the stuff online are knockoffs. They may be defective, second-hand, or otherwise "fallen off a truck" goods.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
thanks.

So access is the same just front instead of back right? Any other differences?

Are you a hobbyist or is repair your gig?

Yes, that is correct. Once you have the screen off, you have access to the battery and internal connections. There are differences; headphone jack is at the bottom, so the jack is not connected to the volume/silencer flex cable (on the 5, the jack is part of the speaker/bottom mic assembly), which is convenient especially if you do not have to work on these. The screen bezel is not secured to the mid bezel via screws like the 4/4s; there are only two screws at the bottom of the phone which are accessible from the outside of the phone.

I am just a hobbyist; I started repairing phones just out of curiosity after watching several YouTube videos and reading through tear downs of the devices. I'm truly fascinated with using mobile devices, and I believe you acquire a sincere appreciation from something the better you know how it works, how it is put together. It truly is an art, not just how it looks from the outside, but how it is put together internally. And I feel more integrated with these brands if I can take them apart and put them back together. Sent from my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.