Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Is there any reason why I could not install my old Macbook Pro HD (2011 SATA) into a window's notebook? Is there anything that would need to be done to it besides reformatting?

I ask because I installed the HD into an ASUS notbook. After reformatting and reinstalling windows using the ASUS recovery cds, the drive will not boot. The drive is recognized in the bios and is the primary boot drive.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
There should not be any issues. I recommend reformatting it under FAT file system with an MBR setup in Disk Utility first. Then when setting it up in the PC, formatting as NTFS which is the only option in Windows Vista or later.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I just moved some old SSDs from my Mac Pro to an old Windows 7 PC and had fits getting rid of the EFI partition (even with DiskPart). I finally had to temporarily put them in my MacPro dock and re-format them there to FAT and MBR. They were then easily formatted to NTFS in the PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.