Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I have a recompiled version of OpenNotifier for the iPhone 5s, iOS7. OpenNotifier uses libstatusbar on the backend to modify the statusbar. libstatusbar has been compiled for iOS7 and arm64 but is not fully functional so:

OpenNotifier shows statusbar icons while in Messages, Notes, Phone, Maps, Settings but not in Mail or Safari.
OpenNotifier shows statusbar icons while in Cydia, iFile, Flex, Firewall iP but not in iCleanerPro.
OpenNotifier does not show any statusbar icons while app store apps are open.

I heard from the libstatusbar developer that it needed to be updated to use Rocketbootstrap. I tried to make the required changes to libstatusbar but failed so we will have to wait for an official update to fix the issues listed above. I have no idea if that will ever come.

Edit - 2014/02/18:
Package has been put on my repo and renamed to make it clear that this is an unofficial modification, not supported by the original developer. No other changes were made between this and the previous version: http://www.tateu.net/repo/. The source code changes are still attached below.

Edit - 2014/02/19:
New version 2.0~beta2-4, changed a few things in the Settings Panel Apps list, see here for info: http://www.tateu.net/repo/html/opennotifier.htm

Edit - 2014/02/19:
New version 2.0~beta2-5, revert bundle identifier change back to com.n00neimp0rtant.opennotifier. See important info about your icon settings in the change log for 2.0~beta2-5 at this link: http://www.tateu.net/repo/html/opennotifier.htm

Edit - 2014/03/03
Latest version: version 2.0~beta2-11
repo: http://www.tateu.net/repo/
change log: http://www.tateu.net/repo/html/opennotifier.htm

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Did OpenNotifier work and display its status bar icons in all apps? I have a recompiled version for the iPhone 5s, iOS7 and it only works on the home and lock screens, in some stock apps, some Cydia apps and does not work in any app store apps.

It works in Messages, Notes, Phone, Maps, Settings but not in Mail or Safari.
It works in Cydia, iFile, Flex, Firewall iP but not in iCleanerPro.

i think it has something to do with libstatusbar and/or iOS 7 updated apps

it's not just openotifier, it's for all tweaks that display information in the status bar

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I thought it might have something to do with libstatusbar. Unfortunately, even though libstatusbar is open source on github, and a new version has been released for iOS7 (arm64), the developer has not posted the new changes to github for anyone to look at.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have it. iOS 6.1. Works in every app, including Cydia.

libstatusbar was updated about a month ago (at least for iOS 6) but it was working for quite a long time before that. The libstatusbar update though allowed WeatherIcon 6 to finally show weather in the status bar (iOS 6).

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I have it. iOS 6.1. Works in every app, including Cydia.
Ok, thanks. That seems to confrm that my issues with it on my 5s are either due to the changes I made to compile it for iOS7 or something to do with the new libstatusbar update for iOS7.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
libstatusbar has been updated for 7.0

The offical github has not been updated, where did you get the recompiled version of opennotifier?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I love it too. I would give up f.lux and biteSMS just to have it back.
Wow. I used to use it too and like it but f.lux actually changed my life (made me go to sleep earlier and get more rest, improved productivity, clearer thinking, etc.). That and I find NC to be adequate to notify me (and it gives me more info). I don't miss OpenNotifier anymore on iOS 7. I just don't.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Sure. I'll create some diffs later today and I can probably just attach them here. The changes were pretty minor. I had to hook SBApplication - setBadge instead of SBApplicationIcon - setBadge and I had to do some funky casting to get some methods to work, such as casting an ONIconCell which is a type of PSTableCell which, in turn, is already a UITableViewCell.

(UITableViewCell *)self).detailTextLabel.text = details;

I just started playing with objective c for the first time last week so I don't really know why the above was necessary, but it worked.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Sure. I'll create some diffs later today and I can probably just attach them here. The changes were pretty minor. I had to hook SBApplication - setBadge instead of SBApplicationIcon - setBadge and I had to do some funky casting to get some methods to work, such as casting an ONIconCell which is a type of PSTableCell which, in turn, is already a UITableViewCell.

I just started playing with objective c for the first time last week so I don't really know why the above was necessary, but it worked.

cant wait, thanks buddy

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Did you have any prior knowledge before looking at objective c? It's amazing you just started not long ago and can recompile and update to work for personal use.

This is something I want to do myself. Especially for this tweak, the waiting for update is just a bit too long.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
cant wait, thanks buddy
Don't get too excited, I am only posting source code, not compiled binaries. I don't want to release packages of someone else's software, especially since it does not work fully on iOS7 on my iPhone 5s.

Did you have any prior knowledge before looking at objective c? It's amazing you just started not long ago and can recompile and update to work for personal use.
Objective C knowledge, no, none, but I've dabbled in programming for 15 to 20 years. Some c, c++, perl, php, web, etc. I probably don't have the knowledge or skill to write a lot of stuff from scratch, without a ton of time and effort, but I am pretty good at hacking away at someone else's code to make it work more the way I want it to.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Ok, here are the source code modifications, there is no binary. There is a readme in the zip file with info about the changes and problems.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
1) Download the original OpenNotifier source code, apply my patches
2) On a Mac: install Xcode 5 and command line tools, install theos
3) Get iPhone headers working and updated correctly in theos for iOS 7.
4) Open terminal, run 'make package install'
5) In Cydia, install libstatusbar
6) respring

christoph23

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
First of all, thank you. On Homescreen and in the most Apps it's working fine, but it isn't working on my Lockscreen only in the Notification Center?

Someone with the same problems or a fix? My device is a iPhone 4s

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
It's most likely caused by libstatusbar. On my 5s, libstatusbar does not work in any app store apps. It does work on my lock screen, though.

I checked with the libstatusbar developer and he said it needs to be updated but he did not provide any more details, such as when or if he would update it.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Is it possible for someone to please put this update together into a file that others can download for those individuals who don't know how to code.

christoph23

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
This is my .deb archive. It works fine on my 4s. If you try it, please give me feedback.

Install the Cydia Tweak "SameStatuts". It is a workaround for the problem, with the lockscreen.

Greetings from Germany :)

Attachments

• com.n00neimp0rtant.opennotifier_2.0~beta2-6_iphoneos-arm.deb.zip
    52.4 KB · Views: 763

tateu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
This is my .deb archive. It works fine on my 4s.
I did not install your binary but I did look at it in a hex editor. It looks like it only contains one slice, which means you probably did not compile it for arm64 devices. If that is the case, you might want to make note of that so that 64 bit users don't bother with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.