Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volkswagen04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
SLC, UT
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have had a 500GB time capsule for over a year (no warranty). My hard drive crashed on my time capsule and I got a 3TB HD for around $100 dollars. I already I have Time Capsule in pieces and I need to format my new hard drive so that it has the 2 small, hidden partitions and obviously the main one. I was wondering if there was a write-up on how to partition for the two smaller ones (I am guessing that they are needed for the software to work)?

Thanks in advance

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think you can just put in the new one and properly format it through Airport Utility.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
This question was popular when the time capsule first came out. I seem to recall the answer was to partition the drive before installation, hooked directly to the Mac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have had a 500GB time capsule for over a year (no warranty). My hard drive crashed on my time capsule and I got a 3TB HD for around $100 dollars. I already I have Time Capsule in pieces and I need to format my new hard drive so that it has the 2 small, hidden partitions and obviously the main one. I was wondering if there was a write-up on how to partition for the two smaller ones (I am guessing that they are needed for the software to work)?

Thanks in advance

I found this older walkthru and they say they just popped the disk in straight from the package and the TC formatted the disk all on its own. I don't think you need to do anything before installation. That is what I recall from old forum posts here also.

Wanting to keep things simple, we had not formatted the disk at the beginning, we just took it out of its packaging and put it in place. This did not give the Time Capsule any problem since it recognised it and formatted it at start up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.