Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyPepper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2014
I never owned an iPad but for the paste 2 weeks I've been using my brother's iPad 3 since I've to do a lot of writing while commuting.

And although I love the hardware (the iPad Air is fantastic too) I can't help but feel that the iOS on the iPad is just a "port" and not at all taking advantage of the capabilities (size and power wise) of the tablet. It feels they think the iOS for the iPhone and put it on the iPad as well.

Sure greater cameras, and ID Sensors and stuff add value to the product but ultimately it doesn't change the user experience at all. And is this new user experience that the iPad needs the most. A better way of multitasking or access different apps (browser + writing app for example) is a start if they really want to "kill the pc".

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
iOS 7 is a new OS so I don't understand your premise and iOS was designed around Apple's mobile devices and they wanted an OS that blurred the lines across their iDevices which is why you see it on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch devices.

JohnnyPepper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2014
It's not a "new new" OS. It can be iOS7. I mean they can blurred the lines aesthetically and in the overall experience. But you use the devices for different things. And having the exact same functions and way of working in both devices just seems like a miss opportunity and a great sense of déja vu. I just think they should think more on each device instead of a OS to fit them all.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It's not a "new new" OS. It can be iOS7. I mean they can blurred the lines aesthetically and in the overall experience. But you use the devices for different things. And having the exact same functions and way of working in both devices just seems like a miss opportunity and a great sense of déja vu. I just think they should think more on each device instead of a OS to fit them all.

It may look similar but it's a new OS. It has design features no other iOS version has including a new updated look. iOS 7 has functions not seen before on iOS, like control center and spot light.

What are you looking for star shaped icons for it to be new?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I never owned an iPad but for the paste 2 weeks I've been using my brother's iPad 3 since I've to do a lot of writing while commuting.

And although I love the hardware (the iPad Air is fantastic too) I can't help but feel that the iOS on the iPad is just a "port" and not at all taking advantage of the capabilities (size and power wise) of the tablet. It feels they think the iOS for the iPhone and put it on the iPad as well.

Sure greater cameras, and ID Sensors and stuff add value to the product but ultimately it doesn't change the user experience at all. And is this new user experience that the iPad needs the most. A better way of multitasking or access different apps (browser + writing app for example) is a start if they really want to "kill the pc".

You are missing any real concrete examples, but if your point is "it's not a PC" then just get a Windows tablet and be done with it.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I think the OP is right in some sense.

Yes, the heart of ios7 should be the same across all devices, that helps usability between the devices. However, there are key places where it DOES seem like a simple port without any thought put into it, primarily folders -- having only 9 icons on a page for iPad folders is sad. They really should use the extra real estate for something useful and have at least 16 icons.

Conversely, there are places in the operating systems where the same button doing the same feature is in different locations on each, without the different real estate being used for anything else. That gets really annoying. Where a difference in usuability doesn't get actually get you anything, it does help for the OSes to be the same! (An example of this is the difference in Seach, Purchased, and Update All buttons in the App Store.)

Overall these are nit issues, I think they did get it 90% right -- 9% issues with bugs and lost functionality, and 1% the usability issues described here.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
iOS 7 is a new OS so I don't understand your premise and iOS was designed around Apple's mobile devices and they wanted an OS that blurred the lines across their iDevices which is why you see it on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch devices.

Some wonderful fanboy logic, here. OP asserts that Apple needs a new ios because ios7 fails to address the potenitalities of the ipad--specifically true multi-tasking. Fanboy response: "ios7 is new". Yes--duh--it is new with exciting new flat icons and a laughable areo redux translucence. But with no real innovative functionality! That OP's point. As long as the ipad runs a phone os--it is limited to being a big phone.

I personally would like to see an exposed file tree, true multitaking and an active digitizer

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i would like to see the iPad to have its own design for iOS. iPhones and iPods can share theirs, macs can share theirs, but then the iPad seems like it gets a blown up version of the iPhone versions of iOS.

cullen43

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Personally, I am still using my old iPad1. I was hoping to buy one of the new iPad Airs, but having borrowed one from a friend to try, I just cannot get on with IOS7.

I do not say for a moment that IOS7 is bad, I just say that I do not like it. It's a personal thing.

If, or when, IOS8 is released, and I find that I like it, then I will get another iPad.

I wonder if there are any other people in the same position with regards to IOS7.

mripadmini

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
All operating systems are different. If you do not like iOS anymore you can try a new one like windows i could not stand windows my mom is a different story she loves windows.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Everyone can quit holding their breath. Steve jobs specifically told the team just look at the ipad like a giant iPod touch. Also a couple apple execs already said last week that making iOS too much like Mac OS is not even on their radar.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Apparently plenty of people like iOS 7 just fine. It sounds like the OP wants iOS to be something it's not, perhaps, as others have suggested, the OP should just get a Windows tablet. Or Android.

iOS 7 is functional, the UX is good (aside from random reboots which should be addressed shortly), the integration works well, and I've found the quality of good iOS apps to be a level above those for Android. Windows 8.1 is not a mobile OS. Some people may think that is a good thing and that's fine, they're probably more interested in having a small, portable PC than a larger mobile device.

For me, the iPad being a "large phone" is a GOOD thing. I WANT the mobile-geared apps. That was the whole point of getting it. Cell data, GPS, apps designed for activities away from the home/office. These are areas where iOS shines and things like Windows fail.

The fact that I can also do the vast majority of my work on my iPad is a bonus, it wasn't the driving force behind having an iPad.

What I took from the OP was basically this. He doesn't own a sports car, but has been borrowing one for a couple of weeks and thinks that the manufacturer should add more doors, perhaps a pickup bed, and 4wd. Maybe the OP should just buy a truck instead. :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Given my current experience with iOS 7 and constant webpage refresh and Safari crashes, I don't think the iPad Air has enough RAM for smooth multitasking. I think Apple will eventually introduce multitasking but only when hardware is released that's capable of doing so smoothly and glitch-free.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Given my current experience with iOS 7 and constant webpage refresh and Safari crashes, I don't think the iPad Air has enough RAM for smooth multitasking. I think Apple will eventually introduce multitasking but only when hardware is released that's capable of doing so smoothly and glitch-free.

Already known that the issues are related to iOS and not the hardware, with iOS 7 memory compression and the kinks worked out I think you'll be surprised.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Already known that the issues are related to iOS and not the hardware, with iOS 7 memory compression and the kinks worked out I think you'll be surprised.
The crashing was fixed, sure, but comments from beta users indicate the constant page refresh is still an issue.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
There is a logic to having similarity between Apple devices as it makes the learning curve much shorter. However, as some pointed out, does Apple really exploit the ability of the iPad or hold back and of course the notion of form over function continues.

Having baked in menu systems that don't take advantage of the size of the screens or ability to read easily is sad. Some people want more icons per a screen and those of us with poorer eyesight may want the option for same amount of icons but larger text/fonts. Neither are readily available. - Not everyone works or sees things the same way. The same can be said of the iPhone.

The i-devices by Apple are truly amazing given their short history but still remain with challenges and nearly always due to Apple's own notion (borrowed from the original Ford) - you can have any colour you want as long as it is black.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
The crashing was fixed, sure, but comments from beta users indicate the constant page refresh is still an issue.

I still highly doubt it's a hardware limitation. Nobody's been able to explain why a simple browser with a few tabs would run the device out of memory and yet much larger, more complex apps run just fine.

It just doesn't make logical sense. It would be like blaming the hardware for Safari in OS X doing the same thing while apps like FCPX run without a hitch. If Safari is running the device out of memory then that is a bug in Safari, not a hardware limitation.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Classic iOS has been adapted for tablets extremely well.

The piece of garbage that is iOS 7 is, of course, not.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I still highly doubt it's a hardware limitation. Nobody's been able to explain why a simple browser with a few tabs would run the device out of memory and yet much larger, more complex apps run just fine.

It just doesn't make logical sense. It would be like blaming the hardware for Safari in OS X doing the same thing while apps like FCPX run without a hitch. If Safari is running the device out of memory then that is a bug in Safari, not a hardware limitation.
Frankly, Firefox and Chrome are some of the biggest RAM hogs on my computer regularly using 1GB or more, and that's not including the pagefile allocation. Only thing worse is Photoshop. Now, I don't exactly know the intricacies of how web browsers work so I can't tell you why they use up so much memory when a webpage with a few images clocks in at just 2MB or so. All I know is in my experience, they can be memory hogs.

As for this not happening on Safari for OS X, most desktop OS have a virtual memory/swap file/pagefile which, as far as I'm aware, iOS and Android do not have. If FCPX needs more RAM, OS X can move older data in RAM to virtual memory. If an app needs more RAM than available on iOS, then iOS has to get rid of some cached data.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Frankly, Firefox and Chrome are some of the biggest RAM hogs on my computer regularly using 1GB or more, and that's not including the pagefile allocation. Only thing worse is Photoshop. Now, I don't exactly know the intricacies of how web browsers work so I can't tell you why they use up so much memory when a webpage with a few images clocks in at just 2MB or so. All I know is in my experience, they can be memory hogs.

My question was rhetorical. The reason why browsers (Firefox especially) are such hogs is poor coding. Firefox has a history of memory leaks and not returning memory back to the OS. It has gotten better recently, but it wasn't very long ago that Firefox left open for 1-2 weeks could consume nearly 10GB of memory. Experienced this myself.

As for this not happening on Safari for OS X, most desktop OS have a virtual memory/swap file/pagefile which, as far as I'm aware, iOS and Android do not have. If FCPX needs more RAM, OS X can move older data in RAM to virtual memory. If an app needs more RAM than available on iOS, then iOS has to get rid of some cached data.

Again, my question was rhetorical. The answer was, actually, "browsers don't use more memory than more complex, larger apps" and as such it's reasonable to assume that the Safari problem in iOS is one of bad code and not a hardware limitation.

One could simply claim that any hardware that can't deal with poorly written apps that needlessly and unnecessarily use of all of the resources is a "hardware limitation."

The point was simply that the browser shouldn't be using more resources than something like iMovie, etc, and if it does, and results in running out of memory, then that is a software problem, not hardware.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I can see if I didn't have an iPhone I might think some things on the iPad are odd (like folders, the home screens); but having continuity between phone/tablet lends itself to a familiar environment.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Some wonderful fanboy logic, here. OP asserts that Apple needs a new ios because ios7 fails to address the potenitalities of the ipad--specifically true multi-tasking. Fanboy response: "ios7 is new". Yes--duh--it is new with exciting new flat icons and a laughable areo redux translucence. But with no real innovative functionality! That OP's point. As long as the ipad runs a phone os--it is limited to being a big phone.

I personally would like to see an exposed file tree, true multitaking and an active digitizer

I would be a fanboy if 75% of my tablets weren't Android. ;)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Anyone seriously think ipad will not support true multi-tasking in the next 2-3 years? The questions are about the pace of innovation--not the direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.