Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
30 mins ago I just realised that sleep-light on my ibook (G4 1.42] wasn't flashing. It has been asleep, lid closed and iSkin on, through the weekend; and now it had woken up and was unpleasantly warm. The screen was almost dark, with just the silhouette of a few windows noticeable. It didn't react to my pushing buttons on the keyboard, so I switched it off on the powerbutton, turned it back on and it started up and acted as normal.
Any suggestions as to what might have happened?

-Squirrel

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you got any screen spanning hacks installed? How about any peripherals, network connections or BlueTooth devices? All of these can result in a waking iBook however without the hack, the machine usually goes back to sleep straight away.

My rule of thumb with this sort of problem is to forgive and forget it once. If it happens again though, I'd start on my Quest O' Troublshooting™. :)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I have the same problem from time to time, it happens when I unplug my usb mouse while the ibook is sleeping. It wakes up but the screen does not turn on even after opening and closing it again and also pressing the keys and the power button. The only way to get it to normal is to hold the power button for a couple seconds.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
mad jew said:
Have you got any screen spanning hacks installed? How about any peripherals, network connections or BlueTooth devices? All of these can result in a waking iBook however without the hack, the machine usually goes back to sleep straight away.

My rule of thumb with this sort of problem is to forgive and forget it once. If it happens again though, I'd start on my Quest O' Troublshooting™. :)
No, none of the above things installed or running.. Think I'll give it a go with the forgive and forget... this once.

Thank you both for the input

-squirrel

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Sound advice mad jew! I love it!

Anyway, to PickledSquirrel, it was probably the iBook intercepting a BlueTooth signal (in BlueTooth settings you can tell it to "'WakeOnSignal'" a bit like "WakeOnLAN"). Either that or maybe the zip caught in the USB port making a kinda short circuit which wakes up the comp. Perhaps you have a scheduled wake up? an iCal event?

Anything really, but as mad jew says.. if it happens once, forget it. If it happens a lot - eat rice pudding.

(o. and troubleshoot).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Without knowing exactly what happened, it's hard to say if there's a problem or not. PowerBooks will wake up if you unplug a USB peripheral, but only if the power cord is plugged in. If you unplug the power cord, then the USB cord, they won't wake up. I would assume iBooks are the same.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
Yes, they are.

No, no they're not. He's talking about with the computer closed. When the iBooks are closed, they should NOT be waking up, as head dissipates through the keyboard and that could cause major problems. The iBooks aren't meant to run in any type of clamshell mode, so it should not be happening at all.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My original iBook G4 wakes up when the lid is closed but it falls asleep again almost immediately (lazy bastard). The little white Apple light on the front comes on for a second. :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Various things can make the iBook become awake:
Your energy settings - if you schedule it or that
Removing USB Devices - mice, externals, etc. etc. all do this cause it has to update the system on what devices are and aren't there.
Bluetooth - if you have BT on and it detects a bluetooth device it'll come on.
Hack - Screen spanning can do that
Ethernet - Wake on LAN can do that.
iCal - if I'm not mistaken, iCal will wake your iBook if there's an alarm, and it may sound off every x minutes or seconds or that so its using the audio device - even if your sound is all the way down - it'll sound it to remind you.
If your hard drive is doing something erratic such as de-fragmenting or that it'll leave you iBook awake till its finished.
There's one other thing, but I can't think of what it is... File transfers... Music, Videos...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
slooksterPSV said:
Bluetooth - if you have BT on and it detects a bluetooth device it'll come on.

Yes, if this happens, it will cause a kernel panic. I'm pretty sure that was the reason the screen was dark and non-responsive. What is supposed to happen is that the iBook should ignore Wake on Bluetooth signals when it is closed. I'm pretty sure that Panther handled this correctly. At least with early versions of Tiger, it did not, and I had several KPs and finally had to turn Wake on BT off. I haven't had the urge to test it again since then. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.