Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A sketchy new report [PDF] from analysts at KDB Daewoo Securities Research shared by OLED-Display.net (via BGR) claims to have full details on Apple's iPhone 6, but there are several issues with the claims that call the entire report into question.

According to the report, the iPhone 6 will be available in two sizes, one with a 4.7-4.8 inch display and a second at 5.5 inches. These displays are said to run at 1920x1080 (440 ppi) and 2272x1280 (510 ppi) respectively, using indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) technology rather than the low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) technology used in current iPhones.

kbd_iphone_6.jpg
While the claimed display sizes are in line with circulating rumors, the claim of IGZO over LTPS raises some doubt given that LTPS offers better electron mobility and thus greater efficiency than IGZO. IGZO is starting to gain popularity in larger devices such as tablets due to technical limitations with creating LTPS displays at those sizes, but LTPS remains the preferred technology for many high-end smartphones. Still, it is possible that larger displays at higher pixel density for the iPhone 6 could spur Apple to change its display technology.

Other claims in the report include a bump in RAM to 2 GB alongside a new A8 chip, a new 128 GB storage option at the high end, and an upgraded 3.2-megapixel front camera. In line with a previous claim, the analysts predict that the rear camera will remain at 8 megapixels, although it could gain other improvements.

Another questionable claim of the report comes with regard to the device's operating system, with the analysts pegging the device as running iOS 7.2. Each new iPhone model has been accompanied by a major iOS update, and so the iPhone 6 would be expected to run iOS 8 at launch. iOS 8 has been observed in web logs and other sources, but there has been no evidence yet of Apple working on an iOS 7.2.

Finally, the report gives a fairly wide launch window of the second or third quarter of this year. iPhone launches have come at the tail end of the third quarter or even early in the fourth quarter over the past several years, with repeated rumors of Apple possibly returning to the mid-year launch window used for early models failing to come to fruition.

Article Link: Sketchy Report Claims Full iPhone 6 iPhone Details: Larger IGZO Screens, More RAM and Storage

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
No way this happens. "Sketchy Report" says it all.

I'm hoping that if the iPhone 6 releases in two sizes, one of them is the current 4" size. I don't want an iPad Mini that places phone calls.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
moving backwards from LTPS to IGZO? lol ^^

Guess the next step forward in display technology would be LTPS with quantum dots...

(for everyone who is not that into display technologies: IGZOs main advantage is, that it's cheaper to produce large displays [large like ipad, notebook and larger] than LTPS, which has twice the electron mobility.)

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Debunked: has no Touch ID.

nonsense. looks like a samsung, hungover much macrumors?

I love how it's running iOS 6. Seems legit.

Well, they never said that was a picture of the new phone... someone probably just threw something together real quick for the clickbait. Err, I mean, for the report.

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd, but I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
There's no reason to list iBeacon. iBeacon is a function of the app API and the beacon that is installed somewhere. There is no specific hardware that would be tickmarked in the device other than BT4.0LE, which has been present since the iPhone 4S.

510PPI? Ridiculous.

Stick around 326ppi and save on battery usage.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A PPI way beyond what you can even see achieves three things:

- Burns battery life

- Slows down the GPU

- Makes a nice bullet marketing bullet point for people who care about spec numbers over actual usefulness (tech reviewers often fall into that trap--and it drives them crazy that Apple users keep on choosing real features that work well, over marketing fluff like spec numbers)

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
They aren't saying the image is of the new iPhone... They are using that as an example placeholder. I think these specs seem legit.. Maybe not the IGZO part though.

Or the iOS7.2 bit, each new phone gets a new version so it would be 8.0, this crap isn't even plausible, at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.