Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook's 'Paper' Now Available for Download Despite Protests From FiftyThree

First announced last week, Facebook's new news creation and curation tool, Paper, is now available for download in the United States.

Paper is a news reader that obtains content from a user's Facebook News Feed and from well-known online news sites and publications. Like competing apps such as Flipboard and Zite, Paper features a magazine-style layout with individual section categories for content.

Quote:
Your Paper is made of stories and themed sections, so you can follow your favorite interests. The first section in Paper is your Facebook News Feed, where you'll enjoy inspiring new designs for photos, videos, and longer written posts. You can customize Paper with a choice of more than a dozen other sections about various themes and topics--from photography and sports to food, science and design. Each section includes a rich mix of content from emerging voices and well-known publications.
Designed to replace the traditional Facebook News Feed, stories within Paper are card-based and can be flipped through by swiping. Content like status updates from friends appears alongside news stories and photos in a simple layout aimed at enhancing readability.

Though newly introduced, Facebook's Paper app shares its name with the popular Paper sketching app from FiftyThree, which has been available in the App Store since 2012.

Earlier today, FiftyThree published an open letter on its website, noting its surprise with Facebook's naming choice. The company asks Facebook to stop using its brand name and to "build a brand name of their own." According to FiftyThree co-founder Georg Petschnigg, who spoke to The New York Times, Facebook has thus far opted to continue with the app launch.
Quote:
"We have, in writing, asked Facebook to refrain from using the name," Mr. Petschnigg said. "But their response was that they apologized for not letting us know sooner, but as it stands, they are continuing with their launch."
"Paper by FiftyThree" is trademarked in the United States and in several additional countries, which could lead to a legal standoff between FiftyThree and Facebook in the future.

Paper by Facebook can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook's 'Paper' Now Available for Download Despite Protests From FiftyThree
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
ayale99
macrumors regular

Facebook Pages....because the NSA would like a little more info on which news outlets you prefer to read.
ayale99 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:31 AM   #3
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Typical dick move from Zuck & Co. They should have known better and it's obvious there's an app out there that exists by this name already.

I hope this project will fail harder than the Facebook phone. I just don't see how anyone would replace the regular Facebook app with this.

Also, get rid of other useless apps like Facebook messenger, as the features are kind of already in the app.

Other failed Facebook projects:
-Chatheads
-Facebook Camera
-HTC Status
-HTC first
-Integrated Google (what happened to this idea)
-Polls
-Facebook Hashtags

Need I say more?
dontwalkhand is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:33 AM   #4
petvas
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to petvas
Don't worry, NSA doesn't have to wait for you to use Paper..They already have everything on you..

Paper is still not available in Germany...I hope this app is really better than the standard Facebook app, which just sucks...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Paper by Facebook can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]
And, like every other new app, you can't find it in the app store search. #appstorefail
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:40 AM   #6
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

This app is dope. Definitely taking over my use of pulse for news articles. Nice job fb
joeshmo2010 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:43 AM   #7
NotAdvisable
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
-snip-

Other failed Facebook projects:
-Chatheads

-snip-
Whoa whoa hang on a moment there; since when is ChatHeads a failed Facebook project?
Sure it isn't as good on my iPhone (for obvious reasons) but it's great on my backup Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
Paper is still not available in Germany...
It's only coming to the USA, which sucks :/
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:46 AM   #8
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Where the hell is it on the App Store?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I can see why FiftyThree would be unhappy about Facebook's name choice but he does not own the word paper.

Granted, I know Candy Crush and that whole "candy" debacle is ongoing but still. One single person can't own a word like that. It sets one hell of a standard.

Edit to help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post
Where the hell is it on the App Store?
Link
Munkypoo7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:50 AM   #10
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
This app is dope.
Well, if that doesn't just sum up Facebook entirely. So succinct, too!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:51 AM   #11
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I can see why FiftyThree would be unhappy about Facebook's name choice but he does not own the word paper.

Granted, I know Candy Crush and that whole "candy" debacle is ongoing but still. One single person can't own a word like that. It sets one hell of a standard.

Edit to help:

Link
Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:51 AM   #12
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
"Paper by FiftyThree" is trademarked in the United States and in several additional countries, which could lead to a legal standoff between FiftyThree and Facebook in the future.
And facebook will win. Not be being right. But by making the legal fees so large 53 can't afford them and they'll have to pull out. It would be nice if trademarks are actually worth something (ie facebook be stopped from breaking the law) but who knows if this liw will even be enforced as it should be.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:58 AM   #13
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Can't even login to it...

Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:59 AM   #14
rockosmodurnlif
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to rockosmodurnlif Send a message via Yahoo to rockosmodurnlif
Search for "Paper" in App Store on iPhone, first result: Paper Toss 2.0
☐ Word wrap in Reminders for Mac OS X
rockosmodurnlif is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:59 AM   #15
mcfly88
macrumors regular

goodbye Facebook app.
mcfly88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:59 AM   #16
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post
It's not owning a word, it's trademarking within a specific context, which is exactly how trademarks work.

Their trademark doesn't stop any other use of the word, including other product categories. You could use the name Paper for a soft drink, a laundry detergent, a car, whatever...as long as it's not an app. And enforcing it wouldn't set any sort of a precedent, have you not noticed that although they don't own the word, you can't sell a computer and call it "Apple"?

But they likely don't have deep enough pockets to enforce it versus Facebook, they are in the right but even winning a lawsuit would cost way more than they can afford.
milo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #17
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post
And, like every other new app, you can't find it in the app store search. #appstorefail
Did you ever think that perhaps it doesn't show up in search because it was released 10 minutes ago?

If you were to create a new webpage on your blog, when it doesn't show up in Google search results 10 minutes later is it a "google fail"?
gatearray is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Dades
macrumors member

It looks great.

Though personally I prefer my news presented a bit more "missionary position". Less swiping and gymnastics and more scroll and tap.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #19
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

The app is crap and lasted 3 mins on my phone. No sense of order of what's recent. Also, you see a lot less information on the screen than the current Facebook App. IMO, this app will not succeed. The only positive thing from this app is that it wasn't forced on us with an update to the current app.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:02 PM   #20
BadLTD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
Facebook Pages....because the NSA would like a little more info on which news outlets you prefer to read.
Second this also. That's why I deleted my Facebook. Can I use this without having a FB account?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #21
emorog
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Typical dick move from Zuck & Co. They should have known better and it's obvious there's an app out there that exists by this name already.

Need I say more?
There are at least TWO other apps named Paper on the US Store already. So FiftyThree doesn't have much to stand on here. You cannot selectively decide to start enforcing a claim on a mark. And it doesn't look like they registered "paper" by itself anyhow.

Maybe not the best name for it, as i cannot find either the FB or the 53 brand Paper in the app store. I can find these:
Paper - by Contradictory
Paper - by MiSoft
Papers - by mekentosj.com
emorog is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #22
xionxiox
macrumors regular

This app is awesome!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:03 PM   #23
NotAdvisable
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And facebook will win. Not be being right. But by making the legal fees so large 53 can't afford them and they'll have to pull out. It would be nice if trademarks are actually worth something (ie facebook be stopped from breaking the law) but who knows if this liw will even be enforced as it should be.
Honestly FiftyThree's trademarks are actually for "Paper by FiftyThree" and not just generically "Paper". Legally Facebook are completely in their right to name it what they want to.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:08 PM   #24
seamer
macrumors 6502

53 trademarked "Paper" in relation to sketching. Facebook isn't sketching.
seamer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:15 PM   #25
MalcolmJID
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to MalcolmJID
Definitely wish this was available in the UK...maybe in the future.
MalcolmJID is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion