Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailicon.jpg
Ever since OS X Mavericks was released, some customers using the built-in Mail.app application have repeatedly had issues retrieving new mail messages, deleting or moving messages, and more. Some of the problems were fixed in an update released back in November, and then in OS X 10.9.1, but for some, the issues retrieving new messages persist.

Some users found that quitting and restarting Mail forced the application to download new messages, but Apple has now published an awkward workaround that allows the app to stay open while still forcing a download of new messages.
OS X: New email messages not received until Mail is quit and reopened

Quitting and reopening Mail forces it to re-establish a connection to the email server. You can use these steps to receive new mail messages without quitting Mail:

1. Choose Mailbox > Take All Accounts Offline.
2. Choose Mailbox > Get All New Mail.

As a shortcut, you can also add the Take All Accounts Offline and Get Mail buttons to your Mail toolbar.

1. Choose View > Customize Toolbar.
2. Drag the Take All Accounts Offline button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
3. Drag the Get Mail button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
4. Click Done

To receive new mail messages, click the Take Offline button, then click the Check Mail button.
There is no indication of when the bugs with Mail.app will be fixed, though beta releases of OS X 10.9.2 ask developers to test Mail.app for issues.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Continuing Issues with OS X Mail, Offers Manual Workaround

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Apple Mail won't show any of my Sent box sub-folders.

I have to use Outlook or some other client to access them.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Been happening to me a lot lately... A lot of my mail now comes in hours and sometimes even a day after it actually arrives.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've been having syncing issues for a while now, I decided last year to just switch to Sparrow..

andyring

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Lincoln, Neb.
Simpler fix

I think this is a simpler fix. I have had a few employees run into this issue.

In Mail.app in 10.9, Apple implemented a new option under Mail Preferences/General/Check for new messages. There is an "Automatically" option which, I believe, doesn't work right.

Simply switch that to "Every minute" and (at least in my experience) the problem is solved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 2.10.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 2.10.31 PM.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 229

futurase

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Fayetteville, AR
I have been fighting this problem ever since Mavericks came out.

The main problem is servers and how Mavericks communicates. Go back to a pop connection and problem is gone and iOS devices have not problem.

My ISP is Cox and I KNOW they are one of the ones this issue is with...

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Doesn't help me...

I do that all the time; it seems to work about 20% of the time at best. I actually find that toggling between different folders on the server is more successful.

They really need to get this fixed. I'm sure part of it is on Google's end for me through bandwidth limiting, but I figure it is likely an Apple bug that hits their servers more often.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Simply switch that to "Every minute" and (at least in my experience) the problem is solved.

I've tried both settings and the problem still exists. I have been resorting to restarting Mail to get new messages to show up. Haven't had occasion to try the disconnect/connect workaround yet.

relbbircs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
I mentioned how awful I think mail is on a recent visit to an Apple store and the Apple person I was talking with, without missing a beat, said "just use Google mail, it's what we all do." :apple:

alms

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Boston
Search Doesn't Work

It's easy enough to quit and relaunch the app. The big problem that I'm having is that search doesn't work. When I search for e-mails sent to or from a particular person it consistently misses a large number of them. It's pretty much useless.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Really, the only reason I still use Mail is because it's made by Apple and somehow that allows me to forgive more of its problems.

But I have to grudgingly admit that I use Outlook on Windows every day at work, and it's so, so much better. I'm just not too keen on Outlook for Mac, and I hope that's what's stopping me from switching, rather than self-deluded fanboyism ... :(

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Mail in mavericks is crap. Ever since I updated my google accounts are acting weird. My problem is having to do with drafts. If i create new message or reply to existing email from mavericks mail I get draft emails in my gmail, mainly they are showing up on my android phone. I also can't uncheck save drafts on server setting in preferences. I uncheck it, save it. But when i go in and check its still checked off

Any ideas how to fix that?

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Mavericks sucks. In addition to this Mac Mail farce, my MBA has had around 5 complete OS freezes (requiring a hard reboot) since I upgraded. It happens after I wake it.

Thankfully I haven't moved my work machine over to 10.9.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I wonder how they managed to break this. Nothing in the IMAP code needed fixing once Mail got IDLE support (which Apple stubbornly refuses to implement on the iPhone, possibly as a condition of their ActiveSync license).

RobertoCravallo

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Germany
Why does THUNDERBIRD work without a glitch and APPLE can't get this to work? I switched back from THUNDERBIRD because of some nice features in APPLE MAIL, but it is driving me crazy at times. At least after the update it workes most of the time the way I expect it to. I would REALLY like to stay with APPLE MAIL.

For APPLE: If it isn't broken, don't fix it!!!!!

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
OSX 10.9 and iOS 7, very buggy releases even for Microsoft standards. Thats happen when you don't do whats best for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.