Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Part of this was used in a Super Bowl ad, but now the full video is included, along with footage of the previous high-altitude jump. I'll let NPR tell the rest of the story. Did I mention that he also broke the sound barrier? :eek:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...g-new-video-of-felix-baumgartners-record-jump

WATCH: Breathtaking New Video Of Felix Baumgartner's Record Jump
by Scott Neuman

February 02, 2014 11:25 AM

You might recall Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner's 2012 jump from a 24-mile-high balloon capsule, a height of 127,852 feet. He broke not only an altitude record, formerly set by a U.S. Air Force pilot, Col. Joe Kittinger, in 1960, but also a record for speed of descent, breaking the sound barrier on his plummet to the New Mexico desert.

As NPR's Dana Farrington wrote on the feat on Oct. 14, 2012, Baumgartner's accomplishment was "the highest jump, the longest distance free fall and the fastest velocity" (Mach 1.24).

GoPro, the digital camera manufacturer and a co-sponsor of the jump, mounted seven of its HERO2 cameras on "Fearless Felix" and managed to get some breathtaking video of the feat. The first few seconds can be seen in a Super Bowl advertisement that airs Sunday night, but you can see the complete, breathtaking footage above.

It begins with Baumgartner taking directions from Kittinger in mission control. Kittinger directs him to disconnect his oxygen hose and step to the exterior ledge of the capsule.

After the brief conversation, Baumgartner stands at the precipice and says: "I wish you could see what I could see."

"Sometimes you have to be really high up to understand how small you are. I'm coming home now," he says.

Baumgartner salutes and steps off the ledge. The next few minutes of video are nothing short of awe inspiring.

Here's the video. Enjoy.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion... It was nice to see this amazing footage and though it is a commercial for a camera, it is worth watching and realizing what a great record was made with that jump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.