Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I am someone who has struggled to find a case worthy of the air's lightness. Most have flimsy stands, cover the bezel, too thick, geewhizbangers on them, or cost $200 plus shipping and a wait time while its hand crafted by elves.
I owned a STM skinny for my old iPad and liked it. It was thin used a magnet for the auto feature and had two really good stand positions. I didn't like the canvas choice for the material. It felt and looked cheap.
This new STM studio uses a smooth fabric feeling cover and it feels really good. The magnet is strong and negates the use of straps, clips, ties, or anything else that makes a case annoying. You just close it and it turns the iPad off, open it and it turns it on. The two stands are stable because of the size and strength of the magnets and the lay down position is higher than others. It comes in some great colors and is cheap for such quality. I paid $26 shipped on amazon and got it in 3 days.
http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-cases/studio-ipad-air-case/

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 239
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 221
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 200
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 193

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
thanks! I have been thinking of this case. Nice photos! Just one question--does it work OK to fold back and hold like a book cover?

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
thanks! I have been thinking of this case. Nice photos! Just one question--does it work OK to fold back and hold like a book cover?

I forgot that part and that's the greatest part of the case. My 3 year old daughter figured that out. She folded it back with the flap in and it latched to the magnet in a perfect book position. Thanks for the question and I can't believe I forgot that.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I forgot that part and that's the greatest part of the case. My 3 year old daughter figured that out. She folded it back with the flap in and it latched to the magnet in a perfect book position. Thanks for the question and I can't believe I forgot that.

Great! When in doubt, ask your kids!

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I like it better than these type case because they are only stable on flat surfaces and still don't stay in the groves.

Attachments

• 9107T1_Apple_Ipad_Mini_2_Black_Case.jpg
    9107T1_Apple_Ipad_Mini_2_Black_Case.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 172

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'm about to order one of these.

His is this case holding up?

I've also been struggling with finding a good case.

They all seem to have some flaw, try to be novel and fail to execute, or mostly, just too "me too."

Most of them look nice on paper, but disappoint when examined in real life.

The Dux is nice, but a little heavier, bulkier, and uglier than I'd prefer, so the Studio may be a good compromise, provided it's of similar build quality. Also helps that it's cheaper.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I'm about to order one of these.

His is this case holding up?

I've also been struggling with finding a good case.

They all seem to have some flaw, try to be novel and fail to execute, or mostly, just too "me too."

Most of them look nice on paper, but disappoint when examined in real life.

The Dux is nice, but a little heavier, bulkier, and uglier than I'd prefer, so the Studio may be a good compromise, provided it's of similar build quality. Also helps that it's cheaper.

Im still using and it still looks like new. I would say that its flaw is that the magnet could be a bit stronger. Its a littlethicker than the studio but way thinner than the dux.

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Im still using and it still looks like new. I would say that its flaw is that the magnet could be a bit stronger. Its a littlethicker than the studio but way thinner than the dux.

Thanks. Good to know. I ended up buying both the Dux and Studio to compare, and I prefer the Dux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.