Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook to Meet With Turkish President Ahead of Istanbul Apple Store Opening [Updated]

Apple CEO Tim Cook will meet with Turkish President Abdullah Gül tomorrow at the Çankaya Presidential Compound in Ankara, according to the President's official calendar.

The visit comes as Apple is planning to open its first retail store in the heart of Istanbul's new multi-use Zorlu Center sometime in 2014. Apple is also heavily involved in the bidding for Turkey's $4.5 billion tablet initiative that will see as many as 15 million tablets given to the country's schoolchildren, and Apple executives have met with the president about the project before.

Turkish president Abdullah Gül at far left, Apple VP John Couch at far right at their meeting last year
Cook's visit is part of an international tour that saw him visiting Ireland last week and the United Arab Emirates earlier today.

Update: According to an official report [Google Translate] of the meeting, Cook revealed that the new Istanbul will open in April and will be unique among the company's stores. Cook and Gül also discussed the possibility of Apple bringing some research and development to Turkey, Siri support for Turkish, Apple's emphasis on education as it relates to the tablet initiative, and a request by Cook to remove luxury taxes currently applied to iPhone and iPad sales.

Thanks Mert!

Article Link: Tim Cook to Meet With Turkish President Ahead of Istanbul Apple Store Opening [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

That's pretty cool that a CEO of a private company has the power to meet with world leaders.
luckydcxx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Even cooler that he picks a nation that has a newly formed re-alliance with Iran. The first NATO nation to also allow Al Qaida to roam freely.

Seems that Cook is like a dog that will wiggle on any vertical economic opportunity.

Last edited by phrehdd; Feb 3, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:43 PM   #4
pocket3d
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
Even cooler that he picks a nation that has a newly formed re-alliance with Iran. The first NATO nation to also allow Al Qaida to roam freely.

Seems that Cook is like a dog that will wiggle on any vertical economic opportunity.
I look forward to a meeting between him and Vladimir Putin. But I would interpret it differently from you. It would be an opportunity to spread Apple's values of promoting creativity.
pocket3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 02:31 AM   #5
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket3d View Post
I look forward to a meeting between him and Vladimir Putin. But I would interpret it differently from you. It would be an opportunity to spread Apple's values of promoting creativity.
Apple should retain from politics.

Meeting the Turkish president makes sense considering a $4.5 billion deal.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 05:19 AM   #6
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket3d View Post
What creativity do you speak of? Apple is not about creativity but about telling us it is cool to own an Apple device. Apple is about profit and that makes it no different than any other large company.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Apple should retain from politics.

Meeting the Turkish president makes sense considering a $4.5 billion deal.
I guess we should consider whoring ourselves to anyone...including those that would house terrorists openly that wish our demise.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Sackvillenb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I guess we should consider whoring ourselves to anyone...including those that would house terrorists openly that wish our demise.
The principle of what you are saying is sound (although nowadays the definition of what constitutes a "terrorist" is often very gray), but we need to start making these kinds of demands to our politicians before we worry about manufacturers of consumer goods.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 08:26 AM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
That's pretty cool that a CEO of a private company has the power to meet with world leaders.
Or horrifying.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 09:36 AM   #9
netopin
macrumors newbie

Here is more details about meeting:

http://www.tccb.gov.tr/news/397/8845...-tim-cook.html

President Gul requested a Turkish Siri and more investment in Turkey; Cook requested reduced tax rates for iPhone and iPad.

netopin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:07 AM   #10
ardaburak
macrumors newbie

I don't really know how to react to these comments. Apple is an American company and we buy s***load of iStuff. There is a store opening and APPLE wants a bigger share since market here today belongs to 3rd party sellers and maniac carries who looo000ove yanking out incredible amount of money and imprison us to their 2-3 years long, so called, contracts.

So, why don't you take your meager knowledge of politics or whatever and go to some other thread or stop getting off-topic, please.
ardaburak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:37 AM   #11
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Gotta hand it to Tim, he looked so at ease in that short video clip. What a diplomat!

http://www.tccb.gov.tr/news/397/8845...-tim-cook.html

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion