Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases New Behind-the-Scenes Video for '1.24.14' Mac 30th Anniversary Ad

Following this morning's debut of the "1.24.14" Mac 30th anniversary video filmed exclusively on iPhones and edited on Macs, Apple has also released a new behind-the-scenes video that details how the original ad was made.

Quote:
"Capturing the essence of the moment and it being truthful as seen through the prism of this device is really rather lovely."
The video depicts the camera equipment used to film the ad, which included several different iPhones attached to special mounts able to rotate in any direction. A narrator explains that individual filming crews were sent to locations around the world to obtain simultaneous footage, with each crew using an iPhone to capture video that was then sent to a receiver in a backpack.

Receivers used by the crew members allowed footage to be sent instantly back to director Jake Scott, son of Ridley Scott, in the U.S., and FaceTime on iPads allowed for seamless communication while filming.

Apple's 1.24.14 video was filmed for the 30th anniversary of the Mac. It was distilled from more than 70 hours of footage captured by camera crews on five continents in 15 different locations, including Seattle, Aspen, Maryland, Brookhaven, Puerto Rico, Botswana, London, Lyon, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Pompeii, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Melbourne.
Quote:
"The making of 1.24.14" film is now online as well http://t.co/8buyt1lmlf #Mac30 - Philip Schiller (@pschiller) February 4, 2014
Along with the original video and the behind-the-scenes look at how it was filmed, Apple has also posted a detailed web page that gives an even more in-depth look at the work that went into the spot.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Behind-the-Scenes Video for '1.24.14' Mac 30th Anniversary Ad
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:56 PM   #2
musika
macrumors 65816

Gosh, they're on a roll. Loving it.

Last edited by musika; Feb 3, 2014 at 08:57 PM.
musika is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:57 PM   #3
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

It's 1:24 long. Nice.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

This ridiculous attention to detail is what sets Apple apart from it's competitors. You wouldn't get Samsung filming their commercial with a dozen S4's now would you?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

They got Ridley Scott for this and didn't even mention him? That's what I call understatement!
chfilm is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:08 PM   #6
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I'm really more interested in a behind the scenes video of the behind the scenes video.
AngerDanger is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:08 PM   #7
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfilm View Post
They got Ridley Scott for this and didn't even mention him? That's what I call understatement!
Yep, Ridley rocks. I bet they paid homage to him due the 1984 commercial. Very cool.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:25 PM   #8
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

I don't really get why they used iPhones to film this. I mean, yes, they wanted to show off the capabilities of the device, but looking at the efforts it's seems like an uneconomic bottleneck to me.
SgtPepper12 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:28 PM   #9
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
Gosh, they're on a role. Loving it.
You mean, "...on a roll."

I don't think it's very impressive that a video has been produced with iPhones or any modern phone for that matter. Maybe a couple years ago, but not today.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:31 PM   #10
munakib
macrumors 6502

So what you used Facetime to communicate from 1 place to another while it was pre-staged anyway.

Last edited by munakib; Feb 3, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
munakib is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:33 PM   #11
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper12 View Post
I don't really get why they used iPhones to film this. I mean, yes, they wanted to show off the capabilities of the device, but looking at the efforts it's seems like an uneconomic bottleneck to me.
Doing it all in one day was the uneconomic bottleneck, but that was the point, as was being able to say that every shot in the awesome looking commercial was shot on an iphone and edited on an imac, and even the producers coordinated it all with facetime. They did put it on $15,000 gimbals to stabilize it to get those shots, but they didn't use red cameras or expensive software to make it look good.

Last edited by ghettochris; Feb 3, 2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more power
ghettochris is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:33 PM   #12
eggersj
macrumors 6502

Apple really has changed the world... Even the way they shot this video is mind boggling...

Keep it up guys!
eggersj is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:39 PM   #13
HiRez
macrumors 601

I don't really see the point of this. Yes, we already all know the iPhone camera quality is pretty good -- it has been since the 3GS (in relative terms). But you can't do most of this stuff without very expensive gear -- dollies, Steadicams, cranes, clamps, professional lighting, a crew of assistants, and of course professional editing. This video really exposes the fact that this is not just real people shooting real scenes with iPhones. And it was a similar situation with the Burberry runway fashion shoot.

I don't mean to be a downer, the iPhone is fantastic as a camera and getting better each generation, it has opened new possibilities, but I feel this video (the original one) is somewhat deceptive.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Bistroengine
macrumors regular

Shot entirely with iPhones...oh, and a $200,000 production budget.
Bistroengine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
munakib
macrumors 6502

Apple is celebrating its 30th anniversary as a means to sell its idevices, which is an all time low if you ask me. Be modest, be proud of your history and give back to your true fans and followers who have been supporting you for the last 30 years- thats what a milestone suppose to represent and not about selling 1 more iphone 5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
I don't really see the point of this. Yes, we already all know the iPhone camera quality is pretty good -- it has been since the 3GS (in relative terms). But you can't do most of this stuff without very expensive gear -- dollies, Steadicams, cranes, clamps, professional lighting, a crew of assistants, and of course professional editing. This video really exposes the fact that this is not just real people shooting real scenes with iPhones. And it was a similar situation with the Burberry runway fashion shoot.

I don't mean to be a downer, the iPhone is fantastic as a camera and getting better each generation, it has opened new possibilities, but I feel this video (the original one) is somewhat deceptive.
munakib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:

The point is to send this message: Whatever it is you are doing, the iPhone camera can handle it. It will never hold you back and might even push you forward.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:46 PM   #17
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Call me when mobile phones in general offer optical zoom without a loss in quality, larger sensors to bring in more light and true optical stabilization while keeping the phone iPhone 5 slim. These are features I want in a phone.
cdmoore74 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:47 PM   #18
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

all you need to get most of those shots is a gimbal for stabilizing, and the cost of those is coming down to about $500 for a full 3 axis stabilization. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...era-stabilizer
ghettochris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:52 PM   #19
jonyive4
Banned

see 0:58. yes that ****ing annoying popup is there.
jonyive4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:56 PM   #20
bpbatch
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't mean to be a downer [...]
Too late.
bpbatch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:58 PM   #21
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
You mean, "...on a roll."

I don't think it's very impressive that a video has been produced with iPhones or any modern phone for that matter. Maybe a couple years ago, but not today.
Haha, whoops. I've been spelling roll wrong lately, thanks!

And I just mean with the tone they're taking with advertising lately. I think it's much improved from a couple of years ago. It's ambitious but honest.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:00 PM   #22
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
The point is to send this message: Whatever it is you are doing, the iPhone camera can handle it. It will never hold you back and might even push you forward.
You have fallen for Apple's advertising. Guess you don't remember when the Chicago Sun-Times fired all their professional photographers (with real camera's) and allowed the reporters to use their iPhones instead. The results were horrible. Don't take my word for it. Click the link.

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/27/chicago-tribune-and-sun-times-covers-after-the-stanley-cup-finals/

If you have a daughter or son getting married do you want someone taking pictures with a smartphone? I don't care if it's Apple, Nokia, Samsung or Sony. They better have a $4000 full frame DSR.

Last edited by cdmoore74; Feb 3, 2014 at 09:06 PM.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:04 PM   #23
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Call me when mobile phones in general offer optical zoom without a loss in quality, larger sensors to bring in more light and true optical stabilization while keeping the phone iPhone 5 slim. These are features I want in a phone.
Yes, it's inevitable-- one day the iPhone will have a full frame sensor, optical zoom lens, and OIS in a device thinner than a credit card. Because who needs laws of physics?
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:08 PM   #24
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Yes, it's inevitable-- one day the iPhone will have a full frame sensor, optical zoom lens, and OIS in a device thinner than a credit card. Because who needs laws of physics?
I said iPhone 5 thin. Not credit card thin.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:10 PM   #25
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I said iPhone 5 thin. Not credit card thin.
I'm extrapolating. iPhone9 will be credit card thin.

Still, the laws of physics limit the kind of sensor/lens combo you can fit into something as thin as an iPhone5.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion