Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
When I bootup my 2010 13-inch MacBook Pro I am stuck on the bootup screen.

i went into verbose mode and I got this text and the screen stopped.

Untitled by alabang, on Flickr

Now, I have extracted the HDD from the Macbook Pro and plugged it into a external enclosure to make a bacup.

Mavericks is taking almost 10 mins to initialize the HDD and I get the error message below of "OS X can't repair the disk".

Cannot Repair the Disk by 500px.com/dolina, on Flickr

Would anyone know how to fix this? Can I just do a simply reformat and I can reliably use the HDD again?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Any disk that OSX flags as "unrepairable" I would never trust again <even> if you managed to get it to boot. Its pretty clear what it means isn't it??

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Before I reformat the HDD and designate it a dummy HDD for trivial data what else do I copy other than "Users"?

Application, System & Library are were not added to actively by me since 10.8.x.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Before I reformat the HDD and designate it a dummy HDD for trivial data what else do I copy other than "Users"?

Application, System & Library are were not added to actively by me since 10.8.x.

Just clone it (if it will), (I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner), then everything will be as you had it before on the new disk....

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I tried copying and 5/6th the way I start getting errors. I press OK and the copy continues. This has happened a few more times until the copy was completed.

Should I continue with Carbon Copying?

A bit of a background on this 2010 Macbook Pro. This was largely unused since March 2012 when my iMac arrived and I copied everything to it.

It gets occasional use since then and I recall not generating much data on it.

This is why I am not hysterical when I posted. I effectively have another copy of my Macbook Pro that is actively being used in the iMac and on a Time Machine volume.

Your thoughts are most welcoming.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
In that case probably easier to bin that drive and clone your iMac drive onto the new drive for your MBP...thats what I would do.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Any way to sort through the "User" folder I copied for files that were altered after March 2012?

I tried using Spotlight but it keeps giving me everything after March 2012. Even files I personally did not generate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.