Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2014, 02:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Spotify-Compatible DJ App 'Pacemaker' Launches for iPad

DJ app Pacemaker has launched, bringing a minimalistic mixing interface with various features to the iPad. The app allows users to connect a Spotify account to access and mix any song from the music service's catalog, with the app also including support for tracks from an iTunes library. Once songs are loaded up, Pacemaker allows basic mixing effects including "Scratch", "Crossfade", and "Loop" to be performed with swipe and tap gestures, while extra effects such as "Reverb", "Echo", and "Roll" are available as in-app purchases.

Quote:
- Mix millions of tracks with Spotify
Pacemaker is the first DJ app connected to Spotify. This gives you millions of tracks at your fingertips and endless possibilities to create something new or simply find and mix the music you love. Pacemaker for iPad offers a Spotify Free Trial to fully enjoy a world of music and DJing.
- Reverb
Size matters. Reverb lets you control the size of the room, from a small hut to the largest of cathedrals.
- Loop
Shoop da loop! Create synchronized loops on the fly; Split or double, exit and re-loop. Also included is the exclusive Pacemaker Loop Travel which produces a glitchy effect by making a small loop travel along the soundwave.
- Beatskip
Jump around! Jump around! Skip a pre-determined number of beats forwards or backwards to create stutter and jumps in the playback.
- Sync the beats
One of the most appreciated features amongst both beginners and professionals is automatic beat syncing. It gives you the possibility to instantly sync tempo and phase of two tracks by tapping the SYNC button.
Pacemaker is a free download for the iPad and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify-Compatible DJ App 'Pacemaker' Launches for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I have the djay lite app that does a good job of auto playing a play list and traktor dj app which does a better job of recommending songs to mix with the currently playing song. Both have great interfaces. The spotify integration seems interesting but I don't use spotify so that is not really a selling point to me. Without using this app, the interface as shown in the picture does not look good however.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Marol
macrumors newbie

I also have the Djay app and Traktor DJ app which are both great. Pacemaker is, for the moment, simplier. It doesn't have as much functionality as the others but with all IAP you will get a lot functionality that is enough for many people. By using it for a couple of minutes I find it easier to get started than with Traktor DJ. I like the interface. It's made for a touch screen and it works really well. And to integrate your entire Spotify library is great. I have been waiting for an app like this one.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:55 AM   #4
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Everybody wants to be a DJ.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:08 PM   #5
nitropowered
macrumors regular

I wonder how long it takes before Spotify requests to pull it, or changes the API so it can't connect.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:55 PM   #6
macjonny1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
I wonder how long it takes before Spotify requests to pull it, or changes the API so it can't connect.
They won't because this time they worked with Spotify and it is a partnership!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:34 PM   #7
nitropowered
macrumors regular

Found that out after reading other news sites!

This is good! Now I need to go buy another iPad
Old Feb 4, 2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marol View Post
I also have the Djay app and Traktor DJ app which are both great. Pacemaker is, for the moment, simplier. It doesn't have as much functionality as the others but with all IAP you will get a lot functionality that is enough for many people. By using it for a couple of minutes I find it easier to get started than with Traktor DJ. I like the interface. It's made for a touch screen and it works really well. And to integrate your entire Spotify library is great. I have been waiting for an app like this one.
Okay, I have now downloaded the app and played with it for about an hour. The beat syncing is very good. Did not see any issues there. The selection from you iTunes playlist was straightforward and no issue. It did not have any recommendations and does not seem to auto play through a play list. And at least for my taste the color pallet is just not my thing (as in yuck). So even after going back at messing with this for a bit, i still think that other than spotify integration, this does not bring much to the table. As an ex-djay, I can also tell you that most places I worked in having a reliable internet connection for this to be useful would have been a deal breaker. For now this is good for a beginner that is messing around at home and that loves electric pink. I will probably mess with this for a little more and then go back to Djay and Traktor.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:36 PM   #9
dos70
macrumors newbie

Using headphones. Do I need a dual adapter?

I want to listen to a track before I mix it in. Does anyone know how? I turned on headphone split under settings, but do I need a dual jack, one for the line out and one for headphones?
dos70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:01 PM   #10
macjonny1
macrumors 6502a

Have used it for a while now great app!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion