Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheUnforgiven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Yesterday, I restored my Windows 8 computer. I do that from time to time.
At the same time, I restored my iPhone/iPad. Both restores from iCloud backups.

Everything went smoothly. I've done it before.

Then I installed iTunes, logged in with my Apple-ID and authorized the computer.

After that, I plugged in my iPhone and clicked Transfer purchases.

It transfered all my apps, but DID NOT transfer my purchased music. :( The same thing with my iPad :(

What am I doing wrong this time? I've done this plenty of times before without any problems, but it simply won't transfer my purchased music.

Please help!

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
iPhone/iPad will not transfer purchased music to iTunes after restore

I'm not sure what you have done wrong or how to do this through iTunes on your computer as I have iTunes Match and rarely download or transfer music to my phone. However I do have a work around for you:

On your phone open the iTunes Store app
On the bottom right click on "more" (it should show with three dots above it)
On this new page ctap on "purchased" in the list, then tap on "music"
At the top of the new page tap where it says "not on this iphone" to make it turn blue.
Then tap on "all songs"
This will show you everything you have purchased through iTunes that is not currently on your phone. From there you can go through and click on the cloud icon next to each song to download it to your phone. I know it will take some time to download each one like this especially if you have a lot of purchased music, but if DOES work! Also is a good way to make sure only the music you really want on your phone gets on your phone, if you don't want EVERYTHING downloaded to your phone

Let me know if this helps or doesn't work for you or whatever and I'll help from there! =)

TheUnforgiven

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Thank you for your answer!:)

The problem is the other way around. my

After restore, my iTunes music library is empty and I want to transfer my music purchases. But iTunes only transfers apps, when I click "Transfer purchases":confused:

Do I have a corrupt iTunes library file?

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
That could be possible. I'm working my my memory here so forgive me if I'm wrong, lol. In the past before doing a complete restore of windows or iTunes, I would copy the library file onto a flash drive or something then copy it back over after reinstallation of iTunes. I also kinda remember their being a rebuild library tool in iTunes file menu maybe? Is all the music your trying to get back into your library music purchased through iTunes or is some from other means? If it's the first... Then I would think you could still download all the songs your bought in iTunes in a similar manner as on the phone. Go to the iTunes Store on your computer and look around for similar options as I mentioned in my first post. I imagine it's probably less obvious on iTunes for PC to find than on iphone though. Your basically looking for previously purchased music. If your issue is the later and your trying to get music back that you ripped from CDs or download elsewhere then you might be out of luck... You have to point iTunes to which folders on your computer those music files reside in. If you wiped your computer clean then you may have wiped all that out as well. I hope for your sake this is not the case though. I would cry if it were me lol! I would get into iTunes on my PC myself and tell you specifically where to go but alas my iTunes hasn't worked since the update and I've just been to lazy to do what I need to do to make it work yet lol. I really do hope that maybe this still helps you out a bit! Again let me know. If not I will get my iTunes up and going ASAP for you and look for it myself. I'm almost 99% sure of your having the first issue I mentioned you can go about it the way I suggested though. Let me know and good luck!

----------

Just re read your response. You got your apps back on iTunes on your PC but not your music. Make sure your in the iTunes music store and not the App Store. I think you have to go about getting your music back that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.