Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seeing as Samsung have announced the event for the s5 for Feb 23rd might as well get this thread up for people to post their thoughts, rumours specs etc

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I hope for:

- 4K video recording (as is already done by the Note 3)
- OIS
- SnapDragon 805

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So excited I have a feeling this time the Galaxy S5 will finally have a metal casing :)
I am hoping for that option as well. I hope they stick to what they have done in the past as far as physical home button and SD Card slot

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I don't think it will be anything wildly wow.

Just a nice upgrade, design, camera, software, increased battery, less bloatware etc.

Screen will be the same, it doesn't need all this 4K video stuff yet.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't think it will be anything wildly wow.

Just a nice upgrade, design, camera, software, increased battery, less bloatware etc.

Screen will be the same, it doesn't need all this 4K video stuff yet.
But all that stuff is wow! :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
But all that stuff is wow! :)

:D

It's enough for me really! I like the hardware of the S4, no real problems there and improvements are more than enough.

The real problem is the software. It's actually pretty laggy, and when I had a Nexus 5 with Kit Kat for a week, it was so so so so so much quicker.

And the camera on my S4 takes too long as well.

Things like that just need refining, Samsung don't need to bring in 4K screens and holographic storm troopers and stuff.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Where's the google edition?! :p
you know samsung will screw up the software :(

All they really need to worry about is the camera app and the IR blaster app

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Where's the google edition?! :p
you know samsung will screw up the software :(

All they really need to worry about is the camera app and the IR blaster app

Won't even look twice at it if there isn't a GPE, or a massive overhaul/optimization of their UI (TouchWiz, Magazine UX, or whatever it's called). And while I can appreciate that many like the removable battery, I'd rather have the sturdy feel of a nice unibody design, regardless of the build materials.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I'd like to see a complete overhaul of touchwiz w/optimization. I don't mind so much all the gimmicky features because eventually they do come in handy at times but the eye bleeding colors and icons have got to go. There's only so much that Nova can cover up.

I don't plan on getting the S5 but it would mean good things for the Note 4 to come.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
If it gets all of this, it will be tough to pass up.

Check out @phonearena's Tweet: https://twitter.com/phonearena/status/430708581881495552
Outstandingly good. But for as great as it is, I will have to pass this up for the galaxy Note 4. More months of waiting, but definitely worth it for me.

If it's true, great battery that will have a longer battery life than the S4. Not by a huge amount, and it won't last as long as the note 3, but definitely longer than the S4

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The specs look great, but I don't feel compelled at all to upgrade. Maybe they have something up their sleeves, but it feels like smartphones are in same boring incremental upgrade stage PC's are in.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I can't wait to see what great new bloatware Samsung throws on their new flagship device!!! ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I predict ... It'll get a facelift that sits on top of all the bloat thats gone before....
It will use up lots of ram.. lots and lots of ram.....

I wonder why its not an issue on the N3? What did they do different? I really hope they learned and read all the reviews about how much of a resource hog TW can be. I hope they either get rid of it or optimize it to run well.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Wonder if touchwiz gets an improvement

I predict ... It'll get a facelift that sits on top of all the bloat thats gone before....
It will use up lots of ram.. lots and lots of ram.....

You haven't seen the screenshots of the new Touchwiz?

Also, you can check the new Touchwiz interface that comes with the latest Samsung tablets (Pro and Note 12). I bet it will be very similar. Wouldn't make sense to have two Touchwiz versions out there. Obviously it won't have the magazine UX on the desktop, but rather the new card interface that appears on the leaked screenshots.

A 3200 battery will be awesome. 4K recording will be there too.

I don't think the metal model will be that good. Samsung could have done their plastic phones better (like the Moto G or Nexus 5), but they haven't, so I don't expect much from the metal model if there is one.

It will also have the new multitask button instead of the old menu button.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The gs4 is my last Samsung phone thanks to touchwiz. Hardware wise I was perfectly happy even with the gs4. It has more than enough power for all my needs but touchjizz makes my eyes bleed. Also I really don't need 99% of the bloat they pack in to make it look awesome to the average Joe.

Since the new magazine UI looms equally bad to me, not to mention information overload is a no no, I will definitely pass.

Also I doubt they will use on screen buttons and I don't like their current button style at all, including the hardware home button. I like what sony, moto and lg are doing with pushing soft buttons instead.

Nexus or bust as far as android is concerned for my future purchases.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder why its not an issue on the N3? What did they do different? I really hope they learned and read all the reviews about how much of a resource hog TW can be. I hope they either get rid of it or optimize it to run well.

The extra horsepower and ram finally has hit a point of having enough muscle to cope with it....

----------

You haven't seen the screenshots of the new Touchwiz?

Also, you can check the new Touchwiz interface that comes with the latest Samsung tablets (Pro and Note 12). I bet it will be very similar. Wouldn't make sense to have two Touchwiz versions out there. Obviously it won't have the magazine UX on the desktop, but rather the new card interface that appears on the leaked screenshots.

A 3200 battery will be awesome. 4K recording will be there too.

I don't think the metal model will be that good. Samsung could have done their plastic phones better (like the Moto G or Nexus 5), but they haven't, so I don't expect much from the metal model if there is one.

It will also have the new multitask button instead of the old menu button.

Yep I have seen it, and I imagine it's just like my magazine on note 3 in the sense that magazine ux/cards just sits on top of what's already there.

I suspect we will get the googke now cards type copy, a few new icons but fundamentally everything underneath will remain unchanged.

Touchwiz has barely changed bar more and more stuff added to it since 2008/9

Do I think Samsung has enough humility to go back to the starting block and give us a 2014 GUI ?

Sadly I honestly don't think they do.

Which is a shame as individually some of its most recent app additions are actually good and well designed, but they are sat on a non coherent legacy of apps that are not very attractive such as the outdated messages, contacts and phone apps etc..

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I never had an issue with touchwiz but now I'm on nova I love this launcher. Can do so much.. Love having extra pages too

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
One additional bloat I can live with is an "always listening" feature like in the Moto X. I hope Samsung implements something like this in the S5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.